HostGator problems

HostGator was a great host for nearly a year until the beginning of last month.

Now our forums keep going down and they can't see to fix it although they do admit it is a problem on their side.

When displaying the forums or threads all you get is:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:50:46 GMT Server: Apache/1.3.34 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.4.2 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.25 OpenSSL/0.9.7a X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.2 Cache-Control: private Pragma: private Content-Encoding: gzip Content-Length: 9210 Keep-Alive: timeout=8, max=100 Connection: Keep-Alive Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 ]{s۶ۙw@9kS/[~$R=q'ܹDJbB:$eG=s AeIiK4^`쇣ׇo??dw/OEeZ}<V쥨[56K0jUETI2ޫV­F7ONǍhi9S<~{t]"|;+n 3rCK'Ur$oc"z[*|*zC;ݤ}zzcggkw^V`vend'!MA\L|M@4­U?Zѣ-?0rbaW5\d&q T­p8'- YwBgL@\"~_}9뢵Sp4x*Nx]kC".xv<ޒYL9n܋1-1eC^,@N: "W95­ڍ\Gt"[;pDߵIlt'Q8p+p"0ZD\{Pu݈?پs@Bx 'zJI70LD񐈤F&8I#qq6l~Ct?I][qWPiPGJ#k'BN 0"?F NmE]

You talk to tech support and they can't tell you anything and just refer you to the [email protected] email ticket. Then you wait for hours to get a response which says "It's fixed". You check it and it's not. They don't look very far when checking to see if it is fixed. Getting real frustrated. My members are leaving in droves. HostGator is not vBulletin freindly and they don't seem to have the expertise or wannado to get things fixed quickly or permanantly. I have been fighting this since Aug 31st and am ready to jump ship.

I am sorry to hear about your hosting experience, hostgator's usually very good about support. How many users do you normally have browsing your forum?
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

20 to 35 at any given time

I seem to remember reading errors like that are causing by having Gzip compression enabled/disabled on the site. Can you turn it off in Vb?
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Have you told them you are obviously not happy and you are considering leaving them for another host? I would give them an ultimatum and see how they react. You might get quicker and more quality responses from someone at Host Gator.

Good luck!
    Mike Johnson - thehostinglist.com
    Reviews of the world's top web hosting providers
    Check our reviews at thehostinglist.com before you buy your web hosting package!

Never heard that. I would try that but can't even get to my admincp in vBulletin. All that appears is junk. I am totally hosed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thehostinglist
    Have you told them you are obviously not happy and you are considering leaving them for another host? I would give them an ultimatum and see how they react. You might get quicker and more quality responses from someone at Host Gator.

Good luck!
    I have. Still not getting anywhere.

Hmmm that is not good. That is not very typical of Hostgator they are normally very responsive to issues like this.

Maybe somebody here might be able to provide a resolution for you otherwise you might have to find another provider that can be a little more helpful with your Vb install.
    Mike Johnson - thehostinglist.com
    Reviews of the world's top web hosting providers
    Check our reviews at thehostinglist.com before you buy your web hosting package!

Do you tried repairing the DB? or re-uploading the index? honestly, I don't know the reason with that information, I'm just speculating
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

The problem is not with the vB install. It had been going for nearly ten months with no problems. Problems started in August. They'll get it fixed and then it comes back again. It will eventually come back online with no intervention from me. I just have to wait for them to either restart apache or reboot the server. But that doesn't fix the root of the problem. Support just told me they are having a problem at the datacenter. Took lots of convincing before they finally said "Yep, it's on our side". But the problem keeps reoccuring and then I have to go through the whole "convincing stage" each time. Very frustrating, especially when they send me an email saying it is fixed. Right now the whole site seems to be offline, so maybe they are working on the server. Who knows, they usually don't tell me what's going on, I am just a stupid customer.

I am thinking I should post a message over at the vBulletin site to warn any other potential vBulletin/HostGator customers.

On their datacenter? I can't think how a problem in the datacenter could affect to Vbulletin other than being down. But that's me.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Have you tried politely requesting that they move your site to a different server?

Tee6624, the error msg. you provided shows the PHP is being shown in Binary format. And as you've stated,
    this is not a problem you can fix. Not sure what's happening with the Server you are on but other than what
    you've already done, take a look at 'Server Status' in Cpanel when this problem is occuring. Might shed some light.

Also, is the problem just with your Forum or any PHP page on your site?
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

oh, I was extremely polite the first few times. I havn't gotten rude with them, But I am starting to get pissed.

I just got this update from Shane in support:

Hello,
    This is a known issue due to a automated update that cpanel rolled out without our knowledge,
    we are working to resolve the issue and it should be fix momentarily.

Best Regards,
    Shane
    HostGator Technical Support

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Visit Our Knowledgebase & Ticket System!
    http://support.hostgator.com/
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Ticket Details
    ===================
    Ticket ID: OHV-710039
    Department: Support
    Okay, that was nice. At least they are confirming what I already know. Everytime the site starts having this problem, cpanel is inaccessable.

So how to we go from known, to fixed?

And if the engineers are unaware of upgrades that take place, who is doing the upgrades?

"Fixed momentarily" I have been hearing this for 21 days, 4 hours, 11 mins.

Long "MOMENT"

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob
    Tee6624, the error msg. you provided shows the PHP is being shown in Binary format. And as you've stated,
    this is not a problem you can fix. Not sure what's happening with the Server you are on but other than what
    you've already done, take a look at 'Server Status' in Cpanel when this problem is occuring. Might shed some light.

Also, is the problem just with your Forum or any PHP page on your site?
    cpanel is not available when this occurs. It's up and down right now, mostly down.

Right now I see all greens except a flashing yellow on Disk sda2 (/usr) 86%

What does this tell me?

Update

My sites are up for the moment.

I think they moved on to other servers...
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=549015

now they are down so I opened my 4th ticket for tonight.

Did finally get another email from support stating that they are unable to reproduce the problem....

Please check this again to see if it is still happening for you. We were unable to reproduce the error.

Best Regards,
    Daniel
    HostGator Level 3 Support
    Server / Abuse Administration Team

Secure Password Generator!
    https://secure.hostgator.com/passwords.shtml
    Visit Our Knowledgebase & Ticket System!
    http://support.hostgator.com/

Ticket Details
    ===================
    Ticket ID: OHV-710039
    Department: Support

REALLY? Thats because at this very moment it is up. But then seconds later it went down again. My sites go up and down more than Monica Lewinski. The error logs in cpanel show tons of errors and the server status page shows errors as well (see attachment) But yet this latest tech doesn't think there is a problem. Everytime you talk to a different person with a different opinion. What about the last two guys that reproduced and confirmed the problem was related to the cpanel upgrade????!!! So frustrating. Tonight, I am shopping for a new host. Do all hosts suck like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cpanel server status.JPG  
    Last edited by Tee6624; 09-22-2006 at 12:32 AM.

Your Server Status image shows nothing abnormal with the Server.

Only HG knows what could be causing the problems you are experiencing and what needs to be corrected.
    Nobody likes having problems with their Hosting account and hopefully, HG will get things sorted out, ASAP.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Tee6624: Read either this url from their support forum or this article from a 3rd party source for a little more insight into the problems you're having.
    Michael Chase
    Clear-Data Internet Services - Inexpensive website, reseller, and game server hosting.

Thanks Chase! That explains it.

Kinda wish my host would have sent me an email letting me know what was going on. I didn't know about this until your post. I am sure I would have been a little more accomodating and patient had they notified me of the attacks. I guess it's my responsibility to check their forums.

We currently have the situation under control however it's possible they could figure out a way back in.

Upon our investigation we discovered there's many hosting companies with the same exploits on their boxes, and weren't aware until we had them check. One company has over 80 servers affected, another company is a huge name around here with 100,000's of accounts. They told us they believe most if not all of their boxes are "exploited". I'm not going to name any names so please don't ask

Who know how many hosting companies have had their fleets turned into zombies. The few we contacted sure did! The person doing this just haven't unleashed this thing fully yet. They definitely targeted us specifically to launch the first wave with, and they're very good. We have proof they've been planning this for at least a month, and they've actually been waiting for a major exploit such as http://vil.nai.com/vil/Content/v_vul26881.htm Which is why it's been launched now.

What's really frustrating for customers of hosting firms like HostGator in these circumstances is that the "default" response to reports of problems like this is, "There's nothing wrong on the server, it must be something that you're doing wrong."

- Tim

Hi Brent,

Sure sounds like a nightmare, hopefully we can get more info regarding this and hopefully the cpanel update will take care of it for now for those of us that are not infected yet. If you do have more info regarding this matter to share with us please do, or contact me directly.

Thanks for updating us.
    John Xie

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com
    We currently have the situation under control however it's possible they could figure out a way back in.

Upon our investigation we discovered there's many hosting companies with the same exploits on their boxes, and weren't aware until we had them check. One company has over 80 servers affected, another company is a huge name around here with 100,000's of accounts. They told us they believe most if not all of their boxes are "exploited". I'm not going to name any names so please don't ask

Who know how many hosting companies have had their fleets turned into zombies. The few we contacted sure did! The person doing this just haven't unleashed this thing fully yet. They definitely targeted us specifically to launch the first wave with, and they're very good. We have proof they've been planning this for at least a month, and they've actually been waiting for a major exploit such as http://vil.nai.com/vil/Content/v_vul26881.htm Which is why it's been launched now.
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

In my opinion,Hostgator is a very excellent in hosting industry.
    Their service is very good