best forum script

Hi
    i wanna know whats the best forum script.

How is http://simplemachines.org

has anyone got experience with the above script.....what r the points to remember while running and hosting a forum based website....like what r difficulties.

thanks

venkat

I am using it on all of my sites and i think it is the best of free ones. Package manager is a uniqe add-on manager that works perfect.

I advise you to make your theme if you want to make a forum site so it looks profesional.And also you can visit www.forumuniversity.com you can learn lots of things from there
    Kind regards

Simplemachines looks really nice, definitely going to try it out myself..

My personal favourite is and will always be vbulletin 2.9

It's old I know, but that's what I like about it, you can customize it any way you want if you know a bit about php..

Yeah smf is best for freeware,but vBullettin is best all forum

SMF has some problem with working. If you have 100 accounts in a dedicated,may be it will make problem in MySQL.

For me there is nothing like www.vbulletin.com I can't think on a forum without it.

www.vbulletin.com + www.vbulletin.org it's difficult to beat.

Good luck!
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't touch this!
    WebHostingTalk.com

I refuse to use any other forum software besides vBulletin. Why? It's the most powerful with the most features, most modifications, and when there is a security hole, they fix it.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

all pro webmasters use vBulletin, so that's pretty much the standar these days

if you want paid go with vbulletin and if you want free try punbb or mybb

I think vb and IPB are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by dvirhazout
    I think vb and IPB are the best!
    both paid....but yes.

just shows that if you care about your community you should be willing to pay for a better board.

the power that comes with vbulletin is undeniable, no question about that ...
    but you can trust on SMF, and see http://www.usebb.net/ if you want inbuilt seo url

The best is easily vBulletin

ahh! and one more light and right is bbpress.org

Personally i prefer vbulletin, but you might as well asked what everyones favorite football team is. Everyone has their opinions and every BB has it's advantages over the other. Vbulletin was the first board that i ever worked with so i became comfortable with it.
    How many web hosts does it take to screw in a light bulb?

In my opinion,Discuz is the best opensource Forum software.Comparing with other forum software,it's so powerful that Discus is a 20-year-old guy ,others are 4-year-old guy.

looks quite good but i can't read any of their site.

Hi!
    I think he is referring to Discusware:
    http://www.discusware.com

However...it is far from a "twenty year old" (Since 1997) and is anything but open source (Not open source at all). I am taking a look at it, though...they do have a freeware version with source code...which is very unusal...at least for a non-open source project. Vbulletin was very clear...no demo version..no trials..period...which I think will hurt them in the long run..but hey...what do I know.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Actually what I mean is Discuz!
    You can search Discuz at google.
    Most of forums in China run with this software.I know people out of China know little about is,so I strongly recommend you to try it.

so i was talking about the right one - http://www.discuz.net/
    it looks good but i can't read it

Hi!
    Oh. Ok. Checking that out now. Of course I new about the on-site demo of vbulletin..it has been my experience that installing some of these scripts is anything but an easy experience...therefore...I will move on.

How truly bizarre...I see the patch download there...but no main download.
    I've never tried anything like this...so..I'm on the case. Be back in a few.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 09-24-2006 at 10:27 AM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Downloading now...

Here ya go:

http://www.comsenz.com/comsenz_products_discuz_down.htm

There are "Buy" links there as well...odd...but this page has downloadable files.
    It's not terribly big...but there are three versions here. I'm trying "utf" first.

Oh...the "english" link didn't work either...again...very strange.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

It is the language that limits its sphere of influence.Yet,I heard that discuz develop-team is going to release the english version.

Well...
    I've taken a look at the code..very nice. I will attempt modifying the install script and have a go at it shortly. Wish me luck!

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

I will wait for the english version before I evaluate it.

Hi!
    Interestingly enough...there is a english install file. The downside is simple: As expected...this is *not* an open source board nor freeware at all...sorry, folks..open source boards do not have a "buy" link. Still...should be interesting to take a look at.

It may be shareware...certainly shareware has "buy" links.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

The software is available for free download.
    But if you need extra service ,such as installationg,redesign and others,you need to pay.
    The programmer of Discuz is only 23 years old.He is very famous in China now.The money he earn from Discuz is nearly 3million dollars.I'm a fan of him.

Welll In my opinion the best forum script is Invision power board or Vbulletin, Try them also

I've been using Simple Machines for a few years and highly recommend it over the other open source boards out there. Very easy to update, lots of mods and a great support community!

If you want to spend money then as suggested earlier vBulletin

paid- Vbulletin free-mybb

I'm sorry whenever I go to an SMF site I groan (and unfortunately Joomla uses it). Has a backward search results display function and in most cases just advertises to me at least that no money or thought has been put into choosing a forum for your visitor. Mybb needs a few more features but its just so much cleaner to work with

Fusionbb - Vbulletin has serious competition now

Any links to large boards (say over 1 - 2 million posts) running FusionBB?

I use phpBB in 6 of my 9 forums. I have 1 VB and 2 IPB too. The script I love the most is still phpBB .. if you know how to work on it, then it's quite a powerful one. I dislike SMF and don't even join the forums that run on it. Ugly skin and weird profile panel. I have myBB installed on a test folder to make a skin, but it's horrible as skinning is concerned .. The only script giving me the total freedom to implement is phpBB

i use phpbb for my site and love it, it has great support, lots of add-ons, and even an add-on that will install most of its scripts for you.... you can get phpbb here: http://www.phpbb.com (it has a lot of themes too!)

As a webhost, I use IPB for my customer forums. IPB is very professional and does exactly what I want it to do playing the role of hosting community forums.

In addition, I have been using it for a few years now and IPB does a great job of patching exploits quick when they are exposed upon the release of new versions.

Don't get me wrong, I love vBulletin, I just like IPB better
    HostingChoice Web Hosting and Consulting Services
    Host unlimited Domains, MySQL Databases, E-mail Addresses, and FTP Accounts.

Visit us today - http://www.hostingchoice.net

invision power board does it for me very easy to setup and a nice look and feel

I fully agree with danksy. I love IPB because its got features implemented that other boards would require mods to achieve. I use it standard with my hosting forum and easily placed it within my custom template. I <3 it.
    HostingChoice Web Hosting and Consulting Services
    Host unlimited Domains, MySQL Databases, E-mail Addresses, and FTP Accounts.

Visit us today - http://www.hostingchoice.net

100% MYBB here.
    We use it for our support forums. I find it efficient, fast, and professional
    The MonkeyPC - cPanel webhosting that's vibrant and high in quality. Just say hello to The Monkey!