Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    2,842

    Thumbs down BurstNET Billing Issue

    I have a small bone to pick with BurstNET and figured I'd get opinions from people here. I got a collections notice from them today stating I owe them $44.97 for Fantastico De Luxe. The only problem is, I cancelled that LONG ago.

    Here's the timeline:
    November 2005 - I signed up for a Fantastico DeLuxe license from them.
    December 2005 - I get a server with LayeredTech (includes Fantastico) and cancel the license. They claim now they never got it.
    April 2006 - Their billing system was flawed and never invoiced me, they send me 1 big invoice then. I reply reminding them that I cancelled; the email bounces.

    --- They continue to send me late notices, I reply to them all, and they all bounce. I figure I just ignore it. ---

    September 2006 - I get a collections notice stating that I owe them this money. I call them and explain the above timeline. They give me a hard time expecting me to dig out emails from December 2005 and April 2006 (things I don't save). I ask to speak to a supervisor, and the idiot hangs up on me.

    Suggestions?
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes
      0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    ignore it... do you really think they're going to put a lawyer on you for $45?

    I am sure they have bigger losses because of fraud orders than that per day.
    ^_^
      0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    584
    There is a user here called burstnet - send him an email and get him to check it out. I think he is quite high up the site. I have dealt with burst before, and they are very nice people and accomodating. If you state your case clearly - they will definatley do right by you. If you don't have their original ticket - you need to look through your old tickets.

    Though if your email bounced - you should have had made a ticket on their ticketing system to be honest.
    BLUETRIDENT.NET - Reliable Shared, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions Provider
    Managed Hosting with Personal Service
    Highspeed Content Servers, Lighttpd, Ruby on Rails, Cluster Servers & Rich Web Application Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    I am probably going to ignore it. As I am under 18 (for 3 more months at least), it won't make an impact on my credit rating. In this case, I played the "minor card" and voided the contract. And before anyone says that's "unprofessional" or "unfair", this is the only time I've ever played that card, and I want you to think how professional it is hassling a client and then hanging up on them first .
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes
      0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    584
    I am probably going to ignore it. As I am under 18 (for 3 more months at least), it won't make an impact on my credit rating. In this case, I played the "minor card" and voided the contract. And before anyone says that's "unprofessional" or "unfair", this is the only time I've ever played that card, and I want you to think how professional it is hassling a client and then hanging up on them first .
    After a post like that, I'm sure no one is going to think you're unprofessional or unfair. How many times did you try to talk to them ? Were you abusive to them ? You do realise the billing person on the other end might have accidentally dropped the line ? You've gotten out of paying for costs you incurred and that you didn't want to pay for. While Burst may not want to persue you - they can easily hand it over to collections after a few months. Did you follow their cancellation system ? otherwise, they will pass on the cost of the collection to you too. It won't cost them anything to send a collection agency after you. Especially if they already have a good relationship with one for bigger frauds.
    BLUETRIDENT.NET - Reliable Shared, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions Provider
    Managed Hosting with Personal Service
    Highspeed Content Servers, Lighttpd, Ruby on Rails, Cluster Servers & Rich Web Application Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by ImZan
    After a post like that, I'm sure no one is going to think you're unprofessional or unfair. How many times did you try to talk to them ? Were you abusive to them ? You do realise the billing person on the other end might have accidentally dropped the line ? You've gotten out of paying for costs you incurred and that you didn't want to pay for. While Burst may not want to persue you - they can easily hand it over to collections after a few months. Did you follow their cancellation system ? otherwise, they will pass on the cost of the collection to you too. It won't cost them anything to send a collection agency after you. Especially if they already have a good relationship with one for bigger frauds.
    I was not abusive to them -- that's no way to solve anything. I kept my cool and was polite to the woman. But when she kept repeating herself, I asked for a supervisor. The thing is -- I did not incurr these charges because I distinctly remember cancelling the license with them. Also, it does not matter if they send it to collections in a few months. The contract was made and discontinued when I was a minor and is therefore not enforceable.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes
      0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick H
    I am probably going to ignore it. As I am under 18 (for 3 more months at least), it won't make an impact on my credit rating. In this case, I played the "minor card" and voided the contract. And before anyone says that's "unprofessional" or "unfair", this is the only time I've ever played that card, and I want you to think how professional it is hassling a client and then hanging up on them first .
    This is why server hosts require faxing of drivers license.
    Although if there was a clause saying that you had to be over 18, they might be able to sue you for fraud/perjury.
    Dating Revolution Method - Book on how to meet and attract women
      0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Nevada, US
    Posts
    5,433
    This service was never cancelled, but was terminated for non-payment.

    Client was fully aware of our cancellation policy, an no cancellation was ever filed on this account--unlike one other earlier account which he did file a cancellation.
    Upon investigation, this same client has signed up for service apparently under three different company names with us in the past year.

    Client should be able to supply a cancellation tracking number if he claims otherwise---but we checked on our end, and one does not exist.

    Our staff would not have hung up upon you, unless you were being rude or abusive--but even then you would have had to hang gone quite far to get hung up upon.

    The fact that you are a minor is not relevant to our collection methods, that would just make us attempt to collect from your parents/guardians instead. Are your parents aware of this situation? We should probably call them to inform them now, seeing that you claim you are not responsible for your actions---thank you for that information, and helping our collections pursuit.

    This is a plain and simple issue:
    1) Show us you cancellation tracking number/proof, and we will void all charges
    or
    2) This continues until you pay your bill for the services we rendered to you in good faith.


    <<< removed >>>
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 09-22-2006 at 12:46 PM. Reason: referenced post removed
      0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    I am that woman that you spoke to on the phone yesterday. As I explained to you at that time, cancellations are only accepted in writing; ie. fax or completion of our online form.

    If you submitted a fax, you can provide us with the fax number it was sent from along with a general date. With that we can search our logs.

    If you completed our cancellation form (the preferred and suggested method if you contacted us in regards to cancelling), not only would you have been redirected to a confirmation page displaying a confirmation number, you too would have received an email containing this information.

    Note: details of our cancellation policy are stated...
    - on our order form
    - in your billing account welcome letter
    - in your server welcome letter
    - in our user agreement contract
    - in our web site's faq's

    To stop using service does not constitute a cancellation. And if you are unable to supply us with any proof nor can we find any record of you cancelling, then the charges (and subsequent collection action) do indeed stand.
    Last edited by marne_d; 09-22-2006 at 11:01 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Addendum: be honest... you hung up on us while waiting to speak to our customer service manager.
      0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,874
    Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    Billing and Burst are well known for problems. Moreso than I can recall reading about any other provider here having, but I'm not here 24x7, I actually work
    I hate it when people post comments in such a manner - anyone new to the forum who doesn't know about your previous with Burst would easily be mislead by your comments.
      0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Scranton, PA USA
    Posts
    30
    Please present us with your cancellation confirmation number which you have received via email when submitting the cancellation form.
    Mike Rosario - Customer Service Manager
    BurstNET™ - The Speed the Internet Travels™
    BurstNET™ - 1-877-BURSTNET - [email protected]
    http://www.burst.net - http://www.nocster.net
      0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    230
    he can't respond right now, he's probably in english class. youll have to wait until 3pm.
      0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Nevada, US
    Posts
    5,433
    << he can't respond right now, he's probably in english class. youll have to wait until 3pm. >>

    Hopefully you are wrong about that, and it is a "business ethics" class.
    Yes, they do offer a course in that---and obviously for good reason.
    .
    .
      0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    I distinctly remember cancelling the license in December 2005. As stated, I do not save emails from that far back. However, what motive do I have for not cancelling service? I received a license included with my server with LayeredTech. I was not using your license any longer. What purpose would it serve to not cancel?

    Also, I am not seeing how I owe you $44.97 even if I did cancel. If what your billing person stated was correct, I owe you for 7 months (December 2005 until June 2006 when you cancelled for "nonpayment") of the license at $2.95. That adds up to $20.65, not $44.97. I would be willing to pay $20.65 just to clear this matter up even though I *did* cancel.

    And that brings up another good point -- why didn't you cancel me after a month being over due? Why let it stretch over 8 months?

    I did not hang up on you until after I heard the phone click on my end and my dial tone kick back in.
    Last edited by Nick H; 09-22-2006 at 11:59 AM.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes
      0 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    33,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick H
    I distinctly remember cancelling ....
    That's the second time you've stated, "I distinctly remember." Sometimes we remember things that we plan to do (or wish we did) as things that actually happened. To prevent these distortions in reality, keeping copies of important documents is paramount.

    Maybe this can be a lesson to you to follow procedures (although you seem to have the "I'm a minor and can't enter into a contract" thing down pat) and to document when you have followed the guidelines you've agreed to.

    Pay bill. Learn lesson. Grow.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    That's the second time you've stated, "I distinctly remember." Sometimes we remember things that we plan to do (or wish we did) as things that actually happened. To prevent these distortions in reality, keeping copies of important documents is paramount.

    Maybe this can be a lesson to you to follow procedures (although you seem to have the "I'm a minor and can't enter into a contract" thing down pat) and to document when you have followed the guidelines you've agreed to.

    Pay bill. Learn lesson. Grow.
    I am working with Mike at BurstNET now...
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes
      0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
      0 Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Scranton, PA USA
    Posts
    30
    As stated before on AIM.

    No cancellation was received therefore payment is due.

    I've provided you with a payment proposal out of good faith.
    Mike Rosario - Customer Service Manager
    BurstNET™ - The Speed the Internet Travels™
    BurstNET™ - 1-877-BURSTNET - [email protected]
    http://www.burst.net - http://www.nocster.net
      0 Not allowed!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by BurstMike
    As stated before on AIM.

    No cancellation was received therefore payment is due.

    I've provided you with a payment proposal out of good faith.
    And I am willing to pay the $20.65 in services due. However, I am not paying you a dime in collections fees. You don't use an agency, so it does not cost you more than a piece of paper and a stamp. In fact, the letters you use are ripped from OldDebts.com. Perhaps they'd be interested to know this.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes
      0 Not allowed!

  21. #21
    In fact, we DO use the services of a collection agency if a delinquent account meets certain criteria (age, amount, location). We also have an internal collections department that deals with accounts before they reach that state. Regardless of your situation, fees beyond postage are incurred by us. Know that your balance will continue to grow monthly until it reaches the point of being reported to credit bureaus (and incurring more fees).

    Incidentally, Old Debts appreicates our continued business.
    Marne D.
      0 Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by BurstMarne
    In fact, we DO use the services of a collection agency if a delinquent account meets certain criteria (age, amount, location). We also have an internal collections department that deals with accounts before they reach that state. Regardless of your situation, fees beyond postage are incurred by us. Know that your balance will continue to grow monthly until it reaches the point of being reported to credit bureaus (and incurring more fees).

    Incidentally, Old Debts appreicates our continued business.
    Well, when you people get around to it, I *do* have a ticket open #1027547.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes
      0 Not allowed!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    230
    just call his parents and tell them their child isn't paying his bills like he's supposed to.

    they need to be informed of his activities online.
      0 Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by rob5
    just call his parents and tell them their child isn't paying his bills like he's supposed to.
    I have always paid my bills on time -- you can look at my track record with Layered Technologies (who I paid over $11,000 to in a 6 month period -- never once paying late).

    However, it appears that Burst and I remember differently -- they *did* find a cancellation, but it was for a VPS I had with them, so I figure I may have made a mistake. However, I believe, and will continue to believe, that I cancelled the license. To be fair, I am going to pay it anyways -- $24.97.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes
      0 Not allowed!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,874
    Burst say you owe them $44.97, just because you had intent to cancel the account but perhaps never did doesn't mean you choose how much you repay.

    You said earlier you were only going to pay $20.65 and now $24.97 - why the change?
      0 Not allowed!

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Chachi
    Burst say you owe them $44.97, just because you had intent to cancel the account but perhaps never did doesn't mean you choose how much you repay.

    You said earlier you were only going to pay $20.65 and now $24.97 - why the change?
    Because I'm tired of dealing with this issue?

    Again, I am willing to admit that I may have mistakenly emailed them to cancel instead of completing their form. Or perhaps, I remember cancelling my VPS and that flowed with the Fantastico license. I still affirm that I cancelled and I will keep saying that. I am paying this to get it out of the way.

    Moderator please close. This issue is resolved.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes
      0 Not allowed!

  27. #27
    Not until burstnet confirms it is resolved....

    You opened the ticket to trash a company and now you get to deal with the consequences....enjoy
      0 Not allowed!

  28. #28
    You did have a vps previously but under a different company name. After receiving your cancellation request, it was fulfilled. I believe this further show that when a cancellation IS made, it is honored.

    Please don't confuse the two unrelated instances.
    Marne D.
      0 Not allowed!

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick H
    You don't use an agency, so it does not cost you more than a piece of paper and a stamp.
    The time spent by Burst posting on this thread costs money. The time it took them to send you the notices cost money. Even without other costs, you've been costing them in terms of time spent (which translates to wages at minumum, and almost always more due to productivity value)
    Dating Revolution Method - Book on how to meet and attract women
      0 Not allowed!

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    3,498
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    Pay bill. Learn lesson. Grow.
    This thread should have stopped at that. Since you apparently had no problem paying LayeredTech $11,000, whats the problem with paying Burst a mere $44 to just forget this entire thing? Continous arguing does not benefit you, it just makes you look worse.


    Alex
      0 Not allowed!

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    Since you apparently had no problem paying LayeredTech $11,000, whats the problem with paying Burst a mere $44 to just forget this entire thing?
    I've just paid Burst and hopefully they'll be along to confirm.

    "The tracking number for your payment is: 20060922-5575-7301"

    Also, I had no issue paying LT because I used their service. I had thought that I had cancelled with Burst, and then when the line was disconnected, I posted here thinking they were avoiding me (because I asked for a supervisor).
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes
      0 Not allowed!

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Scranton, PA USA
    Posts
    30
    This matter has been resolved.
    Mike Rosario - Customer Service Manager
    BurstNET™ - The Speed the Internet Travels™
    BurstNET™ - 1-877-BURSTNET - [email protected]
    http://www.burst.net - http://www.nocster.net
      0 Not allowed!

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    8,878
    Quote Originally Posted by BurstMike
    This matter has been resolved.
    Nifty.

    Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •