need reviews of Ipower/Ipowerweb

I did a search for Ipower [IpowerWeb] and came up with nothing. Has anyone seen a good review of these guys?

I have two domains hosted on ipowerweb. One is listed in my profile, the other publicly only points back to the first site, is used for development testing etc.

One since spring of '04 and the other since May of this year. Generally, they've been OK. I do not use a lot of space or bandwidth, or CPU resources for that matter, so probably any oversold host would still seem ok to me. As far as performance goes.

They did have some problems with mySQL over the summer that seem to have been ironed out. The lingering problem was that they never owned up to the fact that they were actually having an identifiable problem that they were working on. All reports received a very vague "Our admins are looking into it" Actually, if you contacted tech support five times in one day, you would get five different answers. From "nothing at all is wrong" to "yes, we're aware of that and working on it".

They are very fond of the "it's working fine for me" response.

My particular experience with the SQL apps: I was trying to install a mysql app (provided via their vdeck panel) that kept failing because the database wasn't being created automatically. Big failure. Widespread, too... I'm surprised your search didn't turn up anythign about that. Anyway, when they finally got it fixed, the email they sent me contained a link to documentation that explained how to click on an install icon. Even though the problem was totally on their end, in effect their response to me was "you are retarded, click on the install button and follow the instructions" I was pretty miffed about that. Not once did they acknowledge that they had any problems on their end, but instead intimated that I don't know how to click on an install icon, or read instructions on how to do so.

Their live chat seems to be about the same as I read about everywhere else. They have people man live chat to instruct you to open tickets online and to tell you that their admins are working on it. Have not ever had a resolution with a live chat rep on anything.

I posted a billing ticket in May of this year that was NEVER responded to. Ever.

Up time is OK. Again over the summer, there was a span of a week or so that it seemed like they were rebooting the server a lot. Seems to have leveled off as well.

I have been passively sort of searching for a new host, but after all the true horror stories I have read here, all i've done is move my registration off to another registrar and will stay with ipower for the time being, until they make me absolutely murderous.

I hope someone who actually puts the service through its paces posts for you. Neither of my sites are "mission critical", although one is a business site and if it were down for a day or more, I would be po'd for sure, but it wouldn't put me out of business.

I hope this helps. In summary... when I signed up in 04 I thought they were great. Their proprietary control panel (vdeck) is pretty cool. Their support has degraded over the years, but if you don't need a lot of support then you're good.

Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Wow I guess the threads you listed answer all his questions.
    Alex Maleki -/- 1.866.596.8401
    iTeraWeb Solutions -\- Quality cPanel, Unlimited Reseller, and A-Z VoIP Termination.
    http://www.iteraweb.com | 24x7x365 Phone/Chat Support

Personal experience - unreliable service, non-existent support, and just try to cancel your account (that's a real joke). Overselling and mass advertising is what they specialize in.

Thanks guys. Well, alot of stuff did come up on my search but many of them didn't have the appropriate subject heading of a review so I didn't want to sift through it. Irregardless, thanks for these postings.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineSG
    They did have some problems with mySQL over the summer that seem to have been ironed out. The lingering problem was that they never owned up to the fact that they were actually having an identifiable problem that they were working on. All reports received a very vague "Our admins are looking into it" Actually, if you contacted tech support five times in one day, you would get five different answers. From "nothing at all is wrong" to "yes, we're aware of that and working on it".
    Nope They are still doing the same crap, Ive had a corrupted SQL for a week now.

They are very fond of the "it's working fine for me" response.
    I got that one too.. and it wasnt working 100%

Their live chat seems to be about the same as I read about everywhere else. They have people man live chat to instruct you to open tickets online and to tell you that their admins are working on it. Have not ever had a resolution with a live chat rep on anything.
    Chat is contracted out to India. HORRIBLE crap chat. basic stall tactics to prolong you from calling in.

In short.. if the **** hits the fan with your site.. good luck.