100 Mbps vs 1000 Mbps Public uplink

I am looking at getting a server from softlayer.com. For the extra 10 bucks more, will i notice a HUGE diffirence in the speed of my sites. I run a few forums with 30 mebmbers on at a time. And a few other sites with 300 hits a day.

Thanks.

Yes you will

I think you don't need 1000Mbps uplink. 100Mbps will work great for your sites !
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

For an extra $10.00 you might as well.

Quote Originally Posted by music
    Yes you will
    That is not a very complete or correct answer.

You should start with the 100mbps port. Watch your bandwidth graphs, and see how many mbps you use on average, and see if you burst past 100mbps. If you do, then the 1000mbps port might be a good idea, however there is no real point to it if you don't use it. I doubt you will need it for a forum, however if you were streaming music or running a download site it might be a good idea.

The drawback with a 1000mbps port is you are very open to getting roasted by a DDoS attack. You have a port which is ten times faster, therefore you can use ten times (about) more bandwidth than you could use with a 100mbps port.

If you really can use the extra speed (you burst for long periods of time to 100mbps right now) then go for it, however if you arn't using more than 100mbps (and if you are you probably will need to go for unmetered at some point) then there is really no point to a 1000mbps port.

Good choice on your provider however, Softlayer is an excellent company .

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by music
    For an extra $10.00 you might as well.
    But why waste $?

If you're not going to be pushing that 1GbE or even 10% of it that $10 is just being wasted. You can put it towards some backup space or business continuance insurance.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

You should start with the 100mbps port. Watch your bandwidth graphs, and see how many mbps you use on average, and see if you burst past 100mbps.
    Hmm...how do you burst past 100mbps on a 100mbps port?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Thanks for all the replys guys. It fit in my budget, so i did get the 1000 link.

@adb22791 about the DDoS attack, i ordered the Business Continuance Insurance thing they have.

Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    Good choice on your provider however, Softlayer is an excellent company .
    If I remember correctly you've been with LayeredTech, Steadfast, and DedicatedNow, so what is your experience with SoftLayer?

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    If I remember correctly you've been with LayeredTech, Steadfast, and DedicatedNow, so what is your experience with SoftLayer?
    Please take that to PM.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    Hmm...how do you burst past 100mbps on a 100mbps port?
    Typo, I meant burst to.

Alex

The only way you'll even notice a differance is if your traffic is consistantly spiking near or above 100megabits - otherwise you will not notice a thing.

yeah based on the numbers you showed above you'd have been fine with 10mbps

Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    yeah based on the numbers you showed above you'd have been fine with 10mbps
    Forgot to add i will be running a Team speak and CS Server on it.

well that changes everything. teamspeak alone can use 10mb easy

Still would've been fine with 100Megabit port

Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    well that changes everything. teamspeak alone can use 10mb easy
    That depends entirely on how many users, what codecs, and how many people talk. The option to upgrade is always there, start with the 100mbps and upgrade if you need to.

Alex