CMS or eCommerce?

Howdy,
    I am looking at setting up a site for a very small retailer (A speciality product with only 5 items).

On the site, there will be recipes, event calendar and a cart.

I'd like to customize it and hand it off to the client who is quazi websavvy.

She'd also like visitors to post their recipe ideas, and get a newsletter.

So, should I look at a cart or a cms? Any thoughts?
    Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.

Quote Originally Posted by grafikat
    Howdy,
    I am looking at setting up a site for a very small retailer (A speciality product with only 5 items).

On the site, there will be recipes, event calendar and a cart.

I'd like to customize it and hand it off to the client who is quazi websavvy.

She'd also like visitors to post their recipe ideas, and get a newsletter.

So, should I look at a cart or a cms? Any thoughts?
    Why not do both? I have a client who is doing a wordpress and ZenCart combo and she is growing pretty quickly. She is already coming close to her bandwidth limits. She did all the design work herself and it looks pretty good! She integrated the two together pretty well.

two programs = twice as much set up = more cost to client (who is on a budget).

Quote Originally Posted by grafikat
    two programs = twice as much set up = more cost to client (who is on a budget).
    Not sure I quite understand your entire situation. It seems to me that you would have to do a lot of custom work on a CMS to turn it into a functional cart. And it would take a fair amount of custom work to add CMS like features to a cart. So from my point of view it takes only a few minutes to install both programs and it would take less time to modify the appearance of both products than it would to use one or the other. Plus you would have the best features of each software. Sort of like the best of both worlds. So am I missing something here?

(Am I missing something?)

Not really.

I had hoped that if one product did both, it would take less time, is all.

Cheers!

Joomla with the webstore plugin Virtuemart is easy to work with, and free. I belive it will be easier to customize than, say, Zencart.