Network Solutions Hosting Experience?

Does anyone have any experience with Network Solutions as a shared hosting provider? I'm trying to get some feedback before making a recommendation to a group of people I agreed to help.

I would do a search on the forum and google for them. I honestly haven't seen any reviews on them (which isn't a bad thing!)

Yeah, I searched here already and didn't come up with much.

Not sure I trust Google searches for this sort of thing. Sad but true, much of the information is either out of date or biased in some way.

Well look at it this way, no reviews is a good thing too, because happy customers tend to keep quiet, and the pissy ones like to complain! If you are unsure with them, you have about 100,000 more hosts to choose from. The key is not being afraid to look around.

Believe it or not, I have.

I'd say their shared hosting is geared more towards people with static websites
    thatn don't require a gazillion resources or so. However, I was able to use a word-
    press blog for some time but only as an experiment.

Depending on how simple or potentially complex the technical issue is, it can take
    anywhere from 24 hours to as long as 3 weeks (yes, 3 weeks) to resolve it. They
    have a rather systematic way of trying to solve things, but sometimes it can get
    too darn long it ain't funny.

I also tried to install a script that requires "ion cube". Turns out they don't have it
    and won't install it, citing they don't allow scripts that potentially modify a server's
    settings and affect other users.

(Speaking of ion cube, does that require modifying the server, root, etc.?)

They're not using cpanel or any of those common hosting panels you see. They've
    built their own, and it's rather easy to navigate.

Interestingly, they don't seem to have a CPU resource limit yet. I'd imagine they
    might one day, we'll see.

They have 2 levels of tech support. The 1st one handles rather easy common tech
    issues, while the 2nd one is for issues escalated to them (e.g. frontpage problem,
    php issue, etc.).

I'm sorry I can't give more specifics. But I'll tell you this: you can use them for very
    simple needs, but be ready to look at others for more potentially complex script
    needs. (e.g. ion cube)

Thanks Dave, that's useful info. I'll be doing the vast majority of maintenance and the like (the site is mainly just a forum with a couple of things added on), so my primary concern is what kind of access to tools like remote MySQL access and other things like that might be.

One of the folks I'm working with recently secured hosting on Network Solutions, and he's happy--at the same time, he doesn't know much about hosting.

Have you run into any roadblocks getting things configured (beyond things like "ion cube", I mean )?

Quote Originally Posted by randyripoff
    Does anyone have any experience with Network Solutions as a shared hosting provider? I'm trying to get some feedback before making a recommendation to a group of people I agreed to help.
    so will it be offering budget web hosting, or more to 'features' hosting.

guess, the trend now is to go for php hosting, as they offer the best hosting price.

not to forget 1 or 2 windows asp server as well.

create a few hosting package. sometime customer not know what they looking for, provide them everythign thye need. and dont forget online ordering right on the spot. this will bring you lots of sales.

starting a busines is easy, getting the customer is hard. business is about publicity and popularity. you also need to get it ranked well in SE, will bring in lots of business as well. this mean, design the site for SE, not soo many flash content. do link exchange etc.

Quote Originally Posted by randyripoff
    Have you run into any roadblocks getting things configured (beyond things like "ion cube", I mean )?
    Whoops. Good thing you asked because I forgot to mention a few other things:

1. They don't allow shell access except for MySQL. That's what they told me when
    I asked them.

2. They don't provide support for troubleshooting and installing 3rd party scripts
    (like WordPress or phpbb, which I installed on my own after learning how it goes)
    or website design. Can't really blame them since they are potentially complex.

3. It's rather a shame their online control panel doesn't provide paths (e.g. path to
    perl, absolute path, etc.). But I observed that many of the answers are found on
    their online help (on their website, click Customer Support => Technical Support).

I can't say much about Windows since I'm not knowledgeable about it.

If you call them and get a rep who doesn't know the answer on the spot, chances
    are s/he's a newbie.

Dave, thank you so much for this information.

The big thing I do need is remote access to MySQL. Anything else I can resolve myself, unless there's a hardware failure or a hacking attempt.

Good to know that about the paths as well. If I do need to do anything with that stuff, it'll be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    ... because happy customers tend to keep quiet, and the pissy ones like to complain! ...
    If there were no pissy customers then WHT wouldn't be much of a forum, and would be far less entertaining to read!

( admittedly has made a pissy post or two! )

Well, we just left Network Solutions for LunarPages.

I was very disappointed with their control panel. We had tons of difficulties with an SMF forum, and there's no way to get the error logs!. The host doesn't separate error logs via domain (No clue why, as it's one of the simplest things in the world to do for anyone experienced with setting up virtual hosts for Apache).

Additionally, the people at their Help Desk seemed to have almost zero technical knowledge and were incredibly unhelpful.

I would strongly recommend you not use Network Solutions for hosting unless your site consists of a few static pages or you plan on having them build and maintain your site. Even then, there's cheaper and better alternatives out there.

Even then, there's cheaper and better alternatives out there.
    Eh, no need to go any cheaper IMO. NetSol's pricing is low enough already.

Thank you for the update, and good luck with your new host!

For our purposes, LunarPages is excellent. The pricing is fair, the software works, I have access to error logs when it doesn't...I've got other folks on LunarPages, and will likely move my personal sites there eventually. Very happy with them.

I was actually kinda expecting that. But not being able to get the error logs is a new
    thing for me.

Anyway, sorry to hear things didn't work out right. But you nevertheless made a darn
    great decision to move to a host that does meet your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Eh, no need to go any cheaper IMO. NetSol's pricing is low enough already.

Thank you for the update, and good luck with your new host!
    I have to disagree here ldcdc. Their "standard" package is $10/month.. Yes they "offer" loads for that (7GB disk space like wtf????) but that's the lowest cost you get from them. And they've aimed that at "newbies" who only need ftp access for a small new site! Err hello since when will newbies need 7GB and 150GB BW?

Drop that to $4/month offering 100MB and 10GB BW and they might well see people joining up because they won't be thinking "Oh that's too large a package for us. There must be other hosts offering smaller packages (geered towards people like us) for a smaller fee!".

£10/month is not small compared to the prices a huge amount of companies in the hosting business are charging, is what I'm trying to say, no disrespect
    Last edited by SH-Giles; 11-27-2006 at 11:18 AM.
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

I have to disagree here ldcdc. Their "standard" package is $10/month.. Yes they "offer" loads for that (7GB disk space like wtf????) but that's the lowest cost you get from them. And they've aimed that at "newbies" who only need ftp access for a small new site! Err hello since when will newbies need 7GB and 150GB BW?
    There's absolute cost, and relative cost. $100 can be seen as a high amount in absolute terms, but if you get a new completely equipped computer with monitor at $100 is no longer such a high amount I would say. (Buyer beware when it comes to such offers though! )

Drop that to $4/month offering 100MB and 10GB BW and they might well see people joining up because they won't be thinking "Oh that's too large a package for us. There must be other hosts offering smaller packages (geered towards people like us) for a smaller fee!".
    Many newbies have no idea what their usage will be. They often think "we'll just get the largest for under $x, so we don't get hit with extra charges".

£10/month is not small compared to the prices a huge amount of companies in the hosting business are charging
    My point has always been that hosting is way too cheap. It was too cheap, and now it's laughably cheap. If you pay $10/month and you get a knowledgeable staff team there ready to answer all your questions, I say that's quite a bargain, no matter what.

no disrespect
    There is nothing impolite in your post, so all is good. Exchange of ideas is the way forward for all of us.