IDE drives on IBM xServer 345

Hi,

My crappy old server is dying and I'm looking into upgrading. I want to go IBM because my hosting provider uses all IBM equipment. My old server is a 1U Celeron 766 with 2 IDE drives in it. I want to keep IDE support on my new server, and I'm not really interested in spending a lot of cash on a SCSI RAID setup. I've been looking on eBay for used servers; my budget is around $500. I see a lot of x345 servers for around that.. the question I have is, can I use only IDE drives on an IBM x345 server? I've heard the front drive bays are only for hot-swap SCSI drives. Are there other drive bays, can the server boot off an IDE drive, and can I repurpose those front drive bays for IDE drives as well? I've been trying to dig up info on google etc, but not having much luck.

Thanks!
    Mike

I'm 99% sure you can use IDE drives. I have x330 servers that are setup with IDE. And you can later add SCSI backplane and use SCSI hotswap drives instead. If the server has the SCSI backplane, you could remove it. You can't use the trays with IDE, the drives would need to be screwed down interally in the HD bays. But other than that, it should work.

I'm buying several x345s myself, but I will be using SCSI. I personally think SCSI is not much more money, especially the 36GB drives. And the 345 does come with single channel RAID, I think. If you wanted dual channel RAID, I believe you need to buy an extra card.
    David
    Beenanza, LLC

No way you can use IDE on an x345. It's completely impossible due to the 6x1" drive cage which is U320. Theoretically you could butcher the machine, remove the backplane, run an IDE cable to a PCI IDE card, and mount the IDE disk in a SCSI tray & remove the back of the tray so that the IDE pinouts stick out.

Obviously it's not recommended & it probably wouldn't be stable enough to use in any serious capacity. As Dave said you can use x330's which actually come IDE-ready, you will need C2T cables & they are expensive.
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120

I'm glad you interjected and corrected me. I was sort of relying on my info about the X330 series. I have 3 x345's coming but have yet to look at one physically. I do have an x342, and you would have to remove the backplane to get a IDE drive in there. So I wouldn't recommend it either. The SCSI drives (with trays) are cheap enough on Ebay to make it a non issue in my opinion.
    David
    Beenanza, LLC

Very professional answer

I should have bought more of those C2T cables when I could still get them for $65. I guess hindsight is always 20/20.
    David
    Beenanza, LLC

If you do get x330/x335 be aware it requires a special kvm breakout cable. If you have a chance to research your purchase, see if you can get pictures to see if it requires the cable or not.
    Why do they call them fingers? I never seen them fing. Oh, there they go.

C2T Breakout cable is not cheap, and I also would recommend to use SCSI HDDs on x345 series (I think it's no way to use IDE or SATA HDDs). So you better search some more info about these IBM series before buying them !
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support