Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Softlayer

85 69.67%
  • LayeredTech

37 30.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Softlayer VS Layertech

I know thats a big question; I just dont want to go with softlayer and run into issues down the road.

(Id like to find a good company that I can stay with for 1 year +)

Both of the companies have positive review's although softlayer has no negative.

Layteredtech does have some negative reviews, but positives overcome; Im not looking for great support; but if hardware fails, or something is not working, (error not caused by me) I would like (quick) help with that. I know softlayer does offer administration tickets.

Im just sick of moving from different porviders because my experience isnt what they offer. So I plan to go with a bigger company.

Thanks.

I haven't used softlayer, but I have been with LT for over a year.

I recommend LT to people when they want a budget dedicated without management. I've found them to be fair and relatively prompt.

I have used both and currently use both. Softlayer is indeed a superior solution esepcially with hardware replacements and o/s reloads. Both critical operations. Last o/s reload with layeredtech took OVER 48 hours, last one with softlayer, about an hour

softlayer has a 2hr sla on hardware replace, layeredtech has 24hr.

layeredtech has a lower price entry point for dedicateds and they are perfectly fine for most applications but for mission critical stuff a 24hr sla for hardware replace and os reload is not acceptable.

I am with Softlayer because of all power they offers remote reboot, vpn, domain management etc

The only thing I am missing is Debian @ SL. I hate RHEL the worst distro no support for PHP5 and MySQL 5. But it is quite stable.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Quote Originally Posted by AvailNetworks
    softlayer has a 2hr sla on hardware replace, layeredtech has 24hr.

a 24hr sla for hardware replace and os reload is not acceptable.
    Thats nice to know - I must have overlooked it.

Not acceptable.. I agree..

LT without a question.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

SL without a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H
    LT without a question.
    What is your experience with SoftLayer?

This poll is only useful if all the people who vote have used BOTH providers....else it's just a popularity contest.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

SoftLayer! Hands Down!

I have my shared hosting and semi-dedicated hosting servers located at SoftLayer. There support is incredible: Very fast, friendly, and extremely GOOD!!! The network is rock solid and super fast. Their backend portal is second to none!

I have one dedicated server at LT that I use for DNS. No problems with the server at all. Support is quite a bit slower as compared to SoftLayer. Download speeds from our office to each server shows that my Servers at SoftLayer are a bit faster on the network side compared to LT. I have no complaints as of yet with LT's network uptime (I'm at the Savvis DC).

Just my .02

Can't use FreeBSD on an Opteron at SL. LT will hook you up with a quad-opteron with FreeBSD if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by pergesu
    Can't use FreeBSD on an Opteron at SL. LT will hook you up with a quad-opteron with FreeBSD if you want.
    you should be able to by the end of the year with SL

SoftLayers network is rock solid, no "stupid accidential network downtime".
    VPSFuze.com - Performance should be noticeable - VPS Hosting at its best.
    HostingFuze.com - Affordable & Reliable Shared & Master Reseller hosting services

I use LT thru Servstra, support is pretty good (did kernel updates for free), reboots take ~15 mins or so.

Costwise it is unbeatable.. 90$ for amd 3000+, 1gb ram, 80gb hdd with cpanel (Cheaper than going LT direct)
    Last edited by [MaxX]; 09-22-2006 at 11:18 AM.

I have never used LT. SoftLayer has been good to me

I having a server with Layeredtech.Their uptime is good.but response time is little slow.The best one is theplanet.com

Well Layeredtech.com is cheaper than planet.

Quote Originally Posted by addictnerd001
    I know thats a big question; I just dont want to go with softlayer and run into issues down the road.

(Id like to find a good company that I can stay with for 1 year +)

Both of the companies have positive review's although softlayer has no negative.

Layteredtech does have some negative reviews, but positives overcome; Im not looking for great support; but if hardware fails, or something is not working, (error not caused by me) I would like (quick) help with that. I know softlayer does offer administration tickets.

Im just sick of moving from different porviders because my experience isnt what they offer. So I plan to go with a bigger company.

Thanks.

I have to give my vote to Softlayer, Great prices, Support and had my server up and ready to use in about 4 hours. I drove the leady on live chat crazy.. I asked everything littlething, just to see what kind of response i got.

And Softlayers portal is outstanding.
    Upfront Business Solutions
    A Cloud & Microsoft SaaS provider
    "Creating you a online web presence"

I have servers at both, and for me, I don't notice much of a difference.

The main difference I see is in pricing, I get more bang for my buck at Layeredtech.
    Not only that, but based on pricing trends, layeredtech prices are on the way down, while softlayer's are on the way up.

I didnt tried any but lets wait and see in a year or so how things goes on as Softlayer is still a young company
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

I've used softlayer and layeredtech, I like layeredtech alot more overall, although I have never used their support so I cannot comment in that department.

SoftLayer does have very speedy support however I was disapointed with most of the responses I got.

Softlayer hands down is a wonderful company and if they continue with the level of support they are providing as well as the hardware they rack up - they will be around for a long time.

LayeredTech - well - just as good. Less feature and support is not as quick but when you get it - it's good.

Both are worth your time - I would however look into Softlayer first because of their features and resources at hand.

Some people just whine when they hear the name LT, talk this and that, detail and crack jokes - doesn't bother me.. because LT has never gone down on me and they earned my trust.

I'm a big fan of their Savvis servers and their good pricing. The databank server didn't have me feeling completely safe though.

Nobody, not even those individuals who think they are god, can deny that LT is a big, reputable, fine provider.LT don't strive on sub 100s... it doesn't take a professor to know that.. LT has a large, large, safe, trusting clientbase.

Last edited by sirius; 09-22-2006 at 08:08 PM.

nothing comes close to softlayers portal or features they provide, no question about it. they are simply the best in that department.

I love softlayer, been with them Since March 6th. So roughly about 7 months. Got a sale for a dual opteron with 2GB of ram for $144, Got a faster processor for the price, it took them 3-4 hours setup time, love their control panel. IMPI is a breeze, remote console etc.. They did have some issues with drives, however they immediately replaced them. I had trouble with ram.. and they replaced it no questions asked.
    Support 10/10
    Network(internap, abovenet, verio, savvis): How can yo beat that mix! 10/10
    Hardware Quality: 10/10
    I've had servers at LT and had no specific problems... Oh wait, Savvis routes poorly to lower eastern states.. They couldn't fix the incoming routes unfortunately.. So clients lost that.
    I'm still waiting for colo to be available at SL, however I believe the sales people said it probably won't happened ever.
    Next-Generation Game Servers- www.NextGenServers.com - Play On. Fast, Reliable, Low ping, No Lag, full support servers. Providing Professional, Low Cost, but effective services to gamers like you. Providing the nextgen of gaming services.

I can say I currently use both and they both do a great job at what they are doing.

Layered is a little more geared toward the entry and budget market (This is by far not a bad thing) they provide great hardware for the pricing they give and they are about as flexible or more then any dedicated host on the market when it comes to configuration of a box.

Softlayer does provide great pricing for that they offer as well, however they do provide a lot more of the bells and whistles if that's what your after (The portal is very well done and worth the price difference alone.)

Maybe I am lucky but I have never had an issue with Layered support at all (I also don't ask them to manage a server for me as they are not there for that) . I have read some of the stories and it would scare me off, however cost considering and the fact I have personally never had an issue I will continue to use them.

I did have what I believe to be a heat issue with a box at Layered and they were very responsive and helpful, I opened a ticket stating what I believed, the tech replied back they were going to look at the fans, about 20 min later they replied that a fan had failed and it was replaced. (No more heat issues since)

I had what I believe to be the same issue at Softlayer and they simply told me the system is not reporting anything it can't be a heat issue. If I wish I could schedule downtime to have the system inspected. (I canceled the box and ordered a new one setup times are real speedy)

Bottom line is this decision really depends on what your needs are, set your expectations accordingly.
    I always did like the clouds

How about speed and uptime? (Include matainence please.)

Quote Originally Posted by addictnerd001
    How about speed and up time? (Include maintenance please.)
    (Fixed spelling errors)

Well I can say as I use them both that in the past 6 months I have seen a few network issues with Softlayer and none with Layered I am hosted at Savvis with Layered.

Although for the most part the issues with Softlayer are just routes to my servers changing it has cause the symptoms of an outage to Alertra so it may have to my customers as well.
    I always did like the clouds

Softlayer is more expensive, but you get what you pay for. The support is amazing.

How is the support time average response

Quote Originally Posted by domotre
    How is the support time average response
    with softlayer - 5-30 mins no matter what time of the day

Automated Reboot from Host + Server $5.00
    24/7/365 Noc Monitoring / Notification / Response $50.00

Rob: do you know what's the different between these services ?

Im glad this thread will help others.. I am really just concerned about uptime, connectivity, and speed; and it doesnt sound like softlayer has that?

I don't have first hand experience with any but analysed both as a potential customer, please forgive my bad spelling.

LayeredTech

Pros:
    - Savvis bandwidth only. Quality backbone with no routing problems between AS's (you know where your traffic will go)
    - Expansible unmetered bandwidth. You can grow in steps: 10, 20, 50, 100mbps
    - Price.

Cons:
    - Packet Loss.
    Using MTR on them showed a lot of packet loss, in my case where users have a high response time and are already maxed on their local connections that's not a good thing. I used the IPs on their speed test page, if they're advertised to pings they should handle ICMP packets well.
    If you use unmetered connection, it's already maxed out and the problem is just in the incoming traffic you won't notice much difference, the packet loss will act as a rough traffic shaper, same as if you had no expertise to properly configure one.
    If the problem is on the outgoing packets aswell (don't have first hand experience to test outgoing) SOME of your outgoing packets may look good on your ethernet card graphic to be just dropped somewhere nearby.

- No real burstable 100mbps bandwidth. If you buy GB traffic (not unmetered connection) they'll cap your connection to 10mbps if your traffic is over 10mbps for over 2 hours. (1)

- Support. Only can have the support I need trough resellers. Not a big con if resellers have much autonomy, altough prices may be slightly higher.

SoftLayer
    Pros
    - Service. Automated reboots and OS reloads, DDos protection. I don't have first hand experience but I've read here they also have low time to failure response.
    - Bandwidth. They peer Savvis and their bandwidth don't seens to be near the limit.

Cons
    - They peer AboveNet. I have some users in a specific ISP that have routing problems with AboveNet (they're routed trough some cheap backbone to Abovenet altough that ISP has direct connections to Savvis). I may solve that problem on SL side, but I'll hardly solve it on that ISP side since it'll cost then more and they prefer to keep that cost on my side.

- Unexpansible Bandwidth: I didn't call them to check but only see two options on the order form (10mbps or 100mbps)

Final Conclusions:
    I believe there are people which will be happy with both providers. LT seens to offer a better service that many more providers at their price range and even some with higher price. I would choose SL for my needs but, since I've a problem with a local ISP, I may use them in the future to balance traffic (the others ISPs users) but don't have the need now.

(1) https://support.layeredtech.com/home...mod_id=2&id=39

Clear up a few things here before I step away again.

Quote Originally Posted by TuxBr
    I don't have first hand experience with any but analysed both as a potential customer, please forgive my bad spelling.
    LayeredTech

Pros:
    - Savvis bandwidth only. Quality backbone with no routing problems between AS's (you know where your traffic will go)
    - Expansible unmetered bandwidth. You can grow in steps: 10, 20, 50, 100mbps
    - Price.
    We offer pure Savvis bandwidth out of our DFW01 location which is located in the Dallas Fort Worth Savvis IDC. Our second location offers a BGP blend of 5 carriers. Savvis, Sprint, Time Warner, Level 3 and Broadwing. Both locations offer metered and un-metered solutions.

http://www.layeredtech.com/datacenters.shtml
    http://www.layeredtech.com/network_databank.shtml
    http://www.layeredtech.com/network.shtml

Cons:
    - Packet Loss.
    Using MTR on them showed a lot of packet loss, in my case where users have a high response time and are already maxed on their local connections that's not a good thing. I used the IPs on their speed test page, if they're advertised to pings they should handle ICMP packets well.
    I am not sure where you are seeing this packet loss. The only loss you may see is on the edge routing devices which treat the ICMP traffic at a lower priority and the first hop in after the edge which will show 100% loss due to us switching to RFC1918 IP space at that point and the replies to pings are blocked from that IP space on the edge. A reverse ping out from any host on the network will not show these results.

If you use unmetered connection, it's already maxed out and the problem is just in the incoming traffic you won't notice much difference, the packet loss will act as a rough traffic shaper, same as if you had no expertise to properly configure one.
    If the problem is on the outgoing packets aswell (don't have first hand experience to test outgoing) SOME of your outgoing packets may look good on your ethernet card graphic to be just dropped somewhere nearby.
    All of our networks (6 at Savvis) (2 at Databank) have dedicated & diverse feeds for its bandwidth. We have a total of 24gb/s at Savvis and 10gb/s currently at our Databank location. Neither location is anywhere near saturation points and not even close to 50% usage.

- No real burstable 100mbps bandwidth. If you buy GB traffic (not unmetered connection) they'll cap your connection to 10mbps if your traffic is over 10mbps for over 2 hours. (1)
    That quote is some what incorrect. Yes if you are on a standard 1000/1500/2000GB plan and have high usage for an extended period of time we *might* limit your connection by dropping your port speed from 100mb/s to 10mb/s if that is an available option. If you are on a 10mb/s link then there is not much else we can do but let the bandwidth be used up and charge for overages. If you buy a 10/20/50/100/1000/2000mb/s un-metered link from us you will get to use every bit of traffic that can pass through it.

- Support. Only can have the support I need trough resellers. Not a big con if resellers have much autonomy, altough prices may be slightly higher.
    This is incorrect. If you are with a reseller then yes you will need to contact them for all support issues. If you have a server direct with us then our staff is available 24/7 to assist you. Many of our reselling partners can offer the same price or better then we do on our site due to the large discounts they recieve for providing support to their client base and the volume of hosts they have with us.

Thanks,

Jeremy

well, go for softlayer

That is the disaster with layeredtech

we are told we were DDOSed, their abuse dept. shut down the server for 11 hours and no one even bother to reply with what is going on

APT-41538-279

You had better PRAY that you server is not DDOSed, or you are expecting 11 hours downtime

and no one there just cares,,,

support said the would pass info and sales still repling to WHT

Quote Originally Posted by IKillBill
    well, go for softlayer

That is the disaster with layeredtech

we are told we were DDOSed, their abuse dept. shut down the server for 11 hours and no one even bother to reply with what is going on

APT-41538-279

You had better PRAY that you server is not DDOSed, or you are expecting 11 hours downtime

support said the would pass info and sales still repling to WHT

Odd in your last post you said it was 10 hours less then 5 mins ago and now its upto 11 hours. Our records show you where disconnected at 7:30AM which was roughly 7 hours ago and our network staff have been working on your host since then.

We are not ignoring you and we are going above and beyond to provide you with a KVM access to your host so you can remove the target sites. Your ticket is being worked on and will be updated shortly with further details. Once the target sites are removed and the attack has stopped on your host and its upstream gateway we can place the host and VLAN back online.

Regards,

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by IKillBill
    If that were true they would have left the DDoS target online and allowed the attack to affect other customers. DDoS mitigation is a tricky enough venture that some hosts build their entire reputation by operating environments that can deal with these attacks.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Jeremy you have been in the business long enough to know time translations

5mins=1hr

bottom line is that both provides are actually VERY good at what they do. Layered is a budget unmanaged provider. Softlayer is not so budget, more robust, and dips into the management field as of late.

As far as my comment earlier on the SLA times for both companies, I should clarify, 24hrs for replacement of hardware or o/s reload is just fine depending on what it is used for and how your own company runs. For us it simply was not a good fit for the direction we were heading

LT has been perfect for us. I have to say response times have been really great at least in our case.

Last HD replacement with OS and CPanel reload took 2 hours at 2AM. Uptime has been maximum during some months.

Good hardware, good network and great attention.
    AoW.es - HostXtrem
    Managed and unmanaged dedicated servers
    Barcelona, Spain, Europe

Use both, but prefer rent LT's servers from a reseller instead of LT itself !... In the other hand SL for the free automate OS reloaded system !...

YOu cant go worg with SL, I have been so happy with them. And no damn setup fees, like LT has. My biggest reason i went with SL.
    Upfront Business Solutions
    A Cloud & Microsoft SaaS provider
    "Creating you a online web presence"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast