* Webhost for an Active PhpBB Community

Hello. I'm new to WHT, and I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a good host for my needs, since my site is quickly outgrowing my current host.

About my site:
    I run a growing PhpBB community. Currently during high-traffic times, the site generates up to 15 database writes per second. With DB reads obviously much high than that. Some days I have up to 2 GB of traffic. My traffic is steadily increasing as well.

My host requirements:
    • Several GBs of storage. The more the better.
    • At least 50GB of bandwidth, 100GB or higher would be preferable.
    • Linux
    • PHP 4 or 5
    • MySQL 4 or 5
    • GD 2
    • No restrictions on database usage. I've had hosts limit the number of DB updates to 30,000 per hour, and then when I exceed that the kill the site till the end of the hour. That's unacceptable.
    • No limitations on legal content. My community members post nudity and other taboo photos from time to time, and I don't want to have to censor such things. Illegal content (child nudity, copyrighted stuff, etc) would, of course, be removed by my moderators.
    • No hidden restrictions meant to limit site size or traffic underhandedly. Like limiting the amount of bandwidth per hour or the number of pages served, etc.
    • Detailed access stats, or at least raw log files.
    • phpMyAdmin
    My host wish list (things I'd like, but aren't required):
    • cPanel or at least some type of online file manager
    • Good support
    • No over-selling on the host
    • Low price (at least until the site is profitable)
    • Seemless upgrading. When I outgrow one level of hosting, I'd like to be able to move to the next without downtime. Till eventually I'd get to a dedicated server level.
    I've contacted Dreamhost.com about these requirements. And, they seem to be able to work with them. Even offering to move my site to more empty servers as needed to allow a high-level of DB access and performance. Anyone have experience with them? Or, recommendations on other hosts that would meet my needs?

Thanks so much!

You should go for a VPS (Virtual Private Server) as it will enable you to get dedicated resources for your site. Also a VPS can be get from $35 pm (~ to shared hosting plan with high resources).
    << Please review the Forum Guidelines regarding signatures >>

Quote Originally Posted by eviltechie
    Hello. I'm new to WHT, and I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a good host for my needs, since my site is quickly outgrowing my current host.

About my site:
    I run a growing PhpBB community. Currently during high-traffic times, the site generates up to 15 database writes per second. With DB reads obviously much high than that. Some days I have up to 2 GB of traffic. My traffic is steadily increasing as well.

My host requirements:
    • Several GBs of storage. The more the better.
    • At least 50GB of bandwidth, 100GB or higher would be preferable.
    • Linux
    • PHP 4 or 5
    • MySQL 4 or 5
    • GD 2
    • No restrictions on database usage. I've had hosts limit the number of DB updates to 30,000 per hour, and then when I exceed that the kill the site till the end of the hour. That's unacceptable.
    • No limitations on legal content. My community members post nudity and other taboo photos from time to time, and I don't want to have to censor such things. Illegal content (child nudity, copyrighted stuff, etc) would, of course, be removed by my moderators.
    • No hidden restrictions meant to limit site size or traffic underhandedly. Like limiting the amount of bandwidth per hour or the number of pages served, etc.
    • Detailed access stats, or at least raw log files.
    • phpMyAdmin
    My host wish list (things I'd like, but aren't required):
    • cPanel or at least some type of online file manager
    • Good support
    • No over-selling on the host
    • Low price (at least until the site is profitable)
    • Seemless upgrading. When I outgrow one level of hosting, I'd like to be able to move to the next without downtime. Till eventually I'd get to a dedicated server level.
    I've contacted Dreamhost.com about these requirements. And, they seem to be able to work with them. Even offering to move my site to more empty servers as needed to allow a high-level of DB access and performance. Anyone have experience with them? Or, recommendations on other hosts that would meet my needs?

Thanks so much!
    Alrighty, a few things wrong with your request. You said you have a phpBB board and you're looking for PHP5/mySQL5 -- phpBB only support php4 I believe. Next, Linux...has nothing to offer more than Windows, take this requirement off -- as Windows actually has performance and stability benefits on a site per site basis.

You want no overselling and a low price? Doesn't exist. You have to pay to play!

Also, you have mentioned that you were talking to DreamHost about a solution, which has admitted to pretty high overselling.

I believe you need to do some research and go with a high quality shared host or a VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    Alrighty, a few things wrong with your request. You said you have a phpBB board and you're looking for PHP5/mySQL5 -- phpBB only support php4 I believe. Next, Linux...has nothing to offer more than Windows, take this requirement off -- as Windows actually has performance and stability benefits on a site per site basis.

You want no overselling and a low price? Doesn't exist. You have to pay to play!

Also, you have mentioned that you were talking to DreamHost about a solution, which has admitted to pretty high overselling.

I believe you need to do some research and go with a high quality shared host or a VPS.
    My PhpBB install can work with PHP/MySQL 4 or 5. It's on PHP 5 at the moment, needed minor code tweaks, but works fine overall.

I started this site on Windows, but have since moved to Linux, and I now have a lot of code and features that rely on features nearly always found on Linux servers and rarely found on Windows ones. Like Apache's mod_rewrite, GD, etc. Much of it COULD be converted to work on Windows again. But it's much easier to just go with Linux.

I don't necessarily want dirt cheap. I want the most affordable I can get that has the features I need. And, the less overselling they do, the better.

It's good to know Dreamhost does a lot of overselling.

Can you recommend a good VPS or shared host?

Honestly, the best way to do research is to ask the host about their setup -- request server loads, request test files to check download speeds (usually it should max out your connection). I can't make any recommendations because I stick with Windows hosting.

6. You should be looking at a VPS system. I would reccomend sticking with linux. As you mentioned it has certain features that you require and linux plans usually run slightly cheaper then windows.

You can try a shared hosting provider but if your forum is that developed then it will use a large % of the CPU. Many hosts will not allow this.

Yeah, thats definately sounding like a VPS situation, if its growing tho, you might even want to jump to a dedcated server.

If you go with a shared host, it would not supprise me if they want anything upto $100 a month.

If your willing to spend that amount i would recomend grabbing some small plans at a few hosts and checking their support, speed, uptime etc
    Note to self: Add something funny!
    Search is your friend!

It's looking like VPS is the way to go for now.

Anyone have experience with either of these?
    - webcinch dot com
    - byteshack dot com
    (both are advertisers on WHT)