i am going for a managed dedicated server from SERVSTRA , after researching a lot on this forum and a couple of others also, i found SERVSTRA to be the best when going in for a complete Managed Server solution. hope it will work fine for me too.
currently i am running a couple of sites which consists of a couple of forums running on VBulletin , a couple of directories , Image hostings , File hostings , and a download site too. and i am going in for the following specs ::
P IV 3.0 HT
1 GB RAM
73 GB SCSI : Primary drive
40 GB IDE : Secondary drive
CPanel with Fantastico
100 Mbps upling
10 GB backup
hope it will work fine as far as my requirements are concerned. in the near future, i am planning to go for reseller hosting / free hosting with add supporting also.
i need the following questions to be answered before going in for this server :
1. will this server meet my requirements ?
2. How is SERVSTRA and its after sales support ?
3. 73 GB SCSI / 500 GB IDE HDD ? which one should i choose because both comes in the same price range. also if 73 GB SCSI then how is SCSI better than IDE and in what ways ?
4. My budget rightnow is around 200 - 250 USD / month. do i have some other better option ? but i need a fully managed solution as i am new and this is my first server.
5. will VPS work for me ? does anybody has a trusted and reliable VPS deal ?
As i am planning to buy ths server within a day or two, i would be highly oblidged if all knowledge banks do provide me with their valuable suggestions.
A SCSI harddisk is much faster than an IDE harddisk so if your sites are harddisk intensive, it be better for you but if you need a lot of space, the IDE is better.
VPS is like a virtual account, basically you be sharing a slice of a dedicated server with other, the difference is that you have your own dedicated slice and your own root access. It is no where as fast as a dedicated server.
If you can afford it, a dedicated server will be your best bet.