VPS a good solution for Portal Like Sites?

Hello -

A buddy and I are looking into developing some portal like sites. (They will be information type sites) and we eventually expect it to grow - now the question is would a VPS be a good solution for a portal like site? A site that could potentially have thousands of hits per day or more? *key word potential* I do host a few personal site *I have 2 very busy sites* So I'm debating between the VPS and Dedicated. But I'm looking into the long run solution - not short term solution aka build the site then have to move it when I outgrow it. *Right now Im using a Reseller account* But I know Im going to outgrow it.

I'm looking to spend around $125.00 to $150.00 a month on this. Key thing is reliability with the server/vps.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm just investigating the pros and cons of this. Keep in mind this is NOT for me to sell as a hosting solution but more of a information portal type of solution.

Thanks!
    DefSolutions
    Got Solution?

With that budget i would recomend just go straight for dedicated seeing you can afford it.

Hi!
    I don't agree..simply because I know how these things work. First...your original development schedule...double the time...perhaps even triple the time you think it will take to bring it to reality..especially if you have to write some custom programming.

I normally rail pretty hard not to use VPS's for production webservers...but certainly there is no reason to get a dedicated server until you honestly need one. In this case...a decent size VPS is perfect. It takes time for a site to build users and traffic...so...certainly starting out on a VPS makes all the sense in the world.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

That is what I was thinking - starting off with a good sized VPS - but the question is the load though.

I currently run one site right now that has over 10,000 hits a month it runs a forum and there is usually about 20-40 peeps on at a time. I also run Joomla on that site as well.

And on another site is a information site - and it handles pictures and etc. (as you can see both uses quite a bit of mySQL. Both together takes up about 10-12 gig of bandwidth a month.

Now the third site that we are working on - that is what we are concerned about - is if a VPS would be able to handle the load for 3 busy sites. (2 already busy with one hopefully will eventually get busy).

And any recommendation on which VPS to use. Im currently using JagauarPC Reseller plan. But am open to other options if there is something better out there. I would love not to have to spend big bucks but start off reasonable and then grow into soemthing bigger down the road.

Thanks for your inputs.
    DefSolutions
    Got Solution?

Although VPS can handle that but it will eventually ask for additional ram, bandwidth, etc... soon... considering your traffic in your site.

Get a small server and you should be fine. It is worth than VPS.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Hi!
    Ouch. Well..that changes things! Dedicated server time. There's no way..now with the new info..I'd recommend a move to even a large VPS. No..It's time for at least a celeronie...if not a P4.

I still recommend a VPS for the dev site...off of the production server. The key advantage on the VPS is this: It can be remade and start anew in mere minutes..you just can't do that with a real server. I'd found this very helpful in my development-stage pursuits...I almost wish I had *stayed* on the VPS..in fact...and held off getting a dedicated...simply because I honestly was not ready.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 09-21-2006 at 10:55 AM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer