Requirements for Generating Word Documents with PHP

What sort of Web Hosting requirements would I need to generate Micrososft Word Documents using PHP?

Just a windows server? A Linux server? Does MS Office need to be installed on the server?

You would be better off generating RTF (rich text format) docs with PHP than you would a .DOC

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tech
    What sort of Web Hosting requirements would I need to generate Micrososft Word Documents using PHP?

Just a windows server? A Linux server? Does MS Office need to be installed on the server?
    I don't know if this can be done with PHP, but I know it can be done with ASP/ASP.NET if MS Office is installed.

It can be done with PHP using the CVO function. What requirements do I need on the server?

Hi,

I've seen few sites that have this feature enabled , converting to DOC, PDF and so on. I'm not sure how exactly it works but if you know what requirements you need and you've tested it locally to work, then just send sales email to hosts you have interest in to check with them these features are enabled before signing up, and you should be good to go. (Ofcourse make sure they offer risk free money back gaurantee)

Cheers
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Do you mean COM function?
    If yes, is not recommend to generate word documents using COM
    See MS explanation http://support.microsoft.com/default...US;q257757#kb2
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Sounds to compilicated for me.

Use an fopen as a .doc and use html like <b>. Office 2000 and higher reads html and xml.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

I'm not sure about .doc, but its very easy to generate PDF's using PHP.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Thumbs up Generating .doc using php

The best and easiest way to generate word documents using php is on Windows platform. You will need PHP with either Apache or IIS, Microsoft Word installed (which version depends on you). Then using COM, you can launch MS Word and create the documents.

Your PHP code will look something like this to launch MS Word:
    Code:
    $word = new COM("word.application");
    Hope this helps!
    Web Hosting Blog - An exclusive blog on Web Hosting Industry and hosting related topics.

Yes, but is not recommended, not even by MS, imagine opening 10-20 sessions of MS Word in a server.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

* I see!

It should not be a problem. I don't see anyone launching MS Word for more than 5 seconds and writing a document then closing it. Opening many sessions would only require lot of processing power and RAM.

But, I have not done this myself before, so I don't really know. May be one should try to simulate this before trying it in production.
    Web Hosting Blog - An exclusive blog on Web Hosting Industry and hosting related topics.

Well... not even MS recommend it, so, I guess that could be a problem.

if windows server with microsoft office components installed, it will be quite easy to convert any html into a word doc file by a vbscript (classic ASP). PM if need further help.