Hosted or roll my own ?

I am looking for an eCommerce solution. Say 50-100 products and, of course, one day, billions in sales …

So fundamentally it looks like I have two options

A. Use a hosted eCommerce service (Shopify, Netfirms.ca ecommerce package, yahoo merchant services) OR

B. Roll my own website (hardware, software: OS, web server, ecommerce software, SSL, merchant account, etc) either by doing it myself or hiring.

It seem like the pros/cons look like this

Option A;
    • Quicker setup
    • Site support / uptime / bandwidth handled by the host
    • Less maintenance
    • Lower hacker risk
    • Higher cost (for the site, not sure about the credit card fees)

Option B:
    • Longer site development / startup costs (to develop your site)
    • More site maintenance (security, etc)
    • More control (example: if option a doesn’t do email confirmations of the order; nothing you can do about it)
    • Lower cost for the site
    • Credit card processing more of a hassle (and cost ???)

Anybody want to clarify my misunderstandings, add any comments or point me to pro/con list?

Thanks

I started off small and eased into my merchante account once I was making enough to justify the move. Depends on your risk and how sure you will be making billion in sales... flip side is you could be making $1 in sales... never know.

You know, you could always do a mix of A and B and create a nice C package... Just a thought.

Roll your own... I wonder if it means the same as what it means in the usa? Topic had me laughing....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CheapScotsman
    I am looking for an eCommerce solution. Say 50-100 products and, of course, one day, billions in sales …

So fundamentally it looks like I have two options

A. Use a hosted eCommerce service (Shopify, Netfirms.ca ecommerce package, yahoo merchant services) OR

B. Roll my own website (hardware, software: OS, web server, ecommerce software, SSL, merchant account, etc) either by doing it myself or hiring.

It seem like the pros/cons look like this

Option A;
    • Quicker setup
    • Site support / uptime / bandwidth handled by the host
    • Less maintenance
    • Lower hacker risk
    • Higher cost (for the site, not sure about the credit card fees)

Option B:
    • Longer site development / startup costs (to develop your site)
    • More site maintenance (security, etc)
    • More control (example: if option a doesn’t do email confirmations of the order; nothing you can do about it)
    • Lower cost for the site
    • Credit card processing more of a hassle (and cost ???)

Anybody want to clarify my misunderstandings, add any comments or point me to pro/con list?

Thanks
    Always preferred to roll my own!

Seriously though I prefer option B and did my own the first time just using a default template and adding a banner. I am a bit of a conrol freak so for me it made sense. The one thing that you might want to keep in mind is that if you go with option A and don't like it and want to move, where do you go? You basically would have to start over. By going with option B you own the software and back it up yourself so if you don't like the host you can move without having to reinvent the wheel. If you don't like your processor you can shop for a new one. Just something to think about.