Thoughts on Gate.com?

I apologize if this thread has been posted before.

I'm trying to decide on trying Gate.com out for our business. I've look on Google and other websites and haven't seen too many reviews, basically even between good and bad. I just hope i can get some insite on thes folk from people who have used them in the past or currently using them. Currently we are very unhappy with our Webhost. Can you guys tell me what you think about Gate and how your experience with them is...good or bad. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by jwild911; 09-20-2006 at 04:46 PM. Reason: new title

Hi,

Well you might want to change the thread title to reflect your question first

Also take some time and do a search here on WHT for some info/review/feedback on Gate.com

Good luck
    █• CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    █• LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    █• HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    █• We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I've tried doing so, My apologies. I also did try to search WHT and still haven't found much other than people recommending something else. I just want to see peeps thoughts on gate.com.
    Last edited by jwild911; 09-20-2006 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwild911
    I've tried doing so, My apologies. I also did try to search WHT and still haven't found much other than people recommending something else. I just want to see peeps thoughts on gate.com.

Hi jwild911,
    If you cannot find any feedback, well that may be a positive
    A happy client will keep MUCH quieter than and UNhappy one thats for sure, so no news may be "good news"
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Quote Originally Posted by Martie
    Hi jwild911,
    If you cannot find any feedback, well that may be a positive
    A happy client will keep MUCH quieter than and UNhappy one thats for sure, so no news may be "good news"
    Thanks lol, I started to think the same thing I also went to the gate.com forum and don't see too much action or complaints. I think I'll call them up tommorow and test their responsiveness

Quote Originally Posted by jwild911
    Thanks lol, I started to think the same thing I also went to the gate.com forum and don't see too much action or complaints. I think I'll call them up tommorow and test their responsiveness

Looks like you are smart and doing your homework. I would definitely email them as well and see how responsive they are to pre-sales. Personally it wouldnt bother me if the co. did or did NOT have a community forum because some clients just dont utilize them while others make it their criteria. Its just all in what "your preference" is...either way, good luck!!
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

I appreciate this thread as I was thinking about trying them too. Is there anyone here currently a customer?
    http://free.gr8bucks.com

You should also check how responsive they are in their forum.

They seem to responsive with posts asking unix questions, but they don't seem very responsive to Microsoft Windows-related questions.

http://forums.asp.net/thread/1340685.aspx

I cannot seem find gate.com reviews - If I were you I wouldn't go with them because of small reviews but you can at least try them for few days and possible ask for money back (read their money back guarantee) if you're not satisfied.

You should search also for reviews of Affinity and ValueWeb as they are interconnected

I wrote them twice~ but never get a reply.

Have you tried calling them?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonchou
    Not a good sign if you wrote them twice and never got a reply. How long has it been since you wrote them?

I think I'll call them up tomorrow and test their responsiveness
    It's smart to test out a host's responsiveness to support - be it the phone, email, forum or chat channels. If you are a geek, you can also try asking some technical questions to see how technically sound they are. Being technically sound is important in the hosting business - it helps to get problems solved. I don't like hosts that are very good at PR and calm-the-customer-talks and beat around the bush when comes to solving support issues and technical problems.

Looks like you are smart and doing your homework. I would definitely email them as well and see how responsive they are to pre-sales.
    Most hosts are very responsive and treat you like a king/queen during pre-sales talk. But only really good hosts continue to treat you like that after you have given them your credit card number or 1st payment.

jwild911, you sounded quite sure that you want to try out gate.com. It would be interesting to know what's with them that you like (that the other hosts didn't/couldn’t provide...) ?
    Last edited by joetryn; 09-21-2006 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joetryn
    It's smart to test out a host's responsiveness to support - be it the phone, email, forum or chat channels. If you are a geek, you can also try asking some technical questions to see how technically sound they are. Being technically sound is important in the hosting business - it helps to get problems solved. I don't like hosts that are very good at PR and calm-the-customer-talks and beat around the bush when comes to solving support issues and technical problems.

Most hosts are very responsive and treat you like a king/queen during pre-sales talk. But only really good hosts continue to treat you like that after you have given them your credit card number or 1st payment.

jwild911, you sounded quite sure that you want to try out gate.com. It would be interesting to know what's with them that you like (that the other hosts didn't/couldn’t provide...) ?
    I chose them because of the package plan they had. I'm looking for a web hosting company in the US that supports MS SQL, classic asp, and asp.net. I have not received any replys to emails or a phone call message. I guess I'll forget about gate.

Quote Originally Posted by iration
    Not a good sign if you wrote them twice and never got a reply. How long has it been since you wrote them?

I wrote them a month ago, I asked them if I can host multiple domain on one account? just only one question.

I can't call them, cuz I am not living in US.

I wrote them a month ago, I asked them if I can host multiple domain on one account? just only one question.

I can't call them, cuz I am not living in US.
    With calling Gate.com and sending emails, and havent had a response, ive decided not to go with them.

Godaddy seems real good and talking with the sales and tech people ive decided to host with them. They have everything we need.

I'll let ya know how it works out.

Gate.com used to be HostSave.com (or at least they killed hostsave when they launched gate) and is owned by Affinity. Affinity is a large hosting company with a lot of brands targeted toward different markets:

Gate.com (used to be HostSave.com) - budget hosting
    ValueWeb.com - business hosting (affinity's main product brand)
    WinSave.com - budget windows hosting
    Bigstep.com - business hosting
    SkyNetWeb.com - dedicated hosting

Hope this helps.

You mean you wrote to Gate.com and they didn't reply?!
    Well I sure wouldn't consider using a host that doesn't even answer a simple pre-sales question.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by joetryn

testing to call them. not a bad idea.

i m running a small web hosting review site. run it locally. been trying email and ticket support. guess hav to add the phone support testing to my test list.

presales is always the best.

ooo.. i read all previous post. seem like until this post here, still none good feedback about gate.com. except replying emails. thats common thing to do. how about downtime? any feedback on this?

Signed up a few days ago. Nothing but horrible service so far. I can't even get my sites moved because they are having problems setting up the DNS Zones. Was supposed to take 6 hours, it's been 3 days. AND....AND....they NEVER reply to support tickets sent via email. Although you can reach them on the phone. And although they are very nice and apologetic, NOTHING gets done.

Not sure what's going on with them, but I've requested my money back and I'm still looking for a VPS or dedicated server.

I had the same problem witg gate.com when I tried to sign up. They used very long time to setup my account, and reply on mails.
    And when they did setup the account, its was hard to cancel. They charged me several months before they canceled my account.
    So I have no good thing to say about them. I think you could find many other good hosts out there.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)