Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond in critical Condition

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond is in a critical condition in hospital after a crash in a jet-powered car while filming for the programme.

The presenter, 36, was taken by air ambulance to Leeds General Infirmary which has a special neurological unit.

A North Yorkshire Ambulance Service spokesman said he was unconscious when they got to the scene and a hospital spokesman described him as "critical".

The BBC confirmed the presenter had been injured during a Top Gear shoot.

Inspector Mike Thompson, of North Yorkshire Police, said officers were dealing with the incident at Elvington airfield, a former RAF base, in North Yorkshire.

He said: "At 5.45pm this evening we received a report via the fire service of a male person trapped in what was described as an overturned jet car which had been driven on the airfield.

"The male occupant has received serious injuries and has been airlifted to hospital at Leeds."

The presenter was born in Birmingham, educated in Yorkshire and lives near Cheltenham.

In addition to presenting Top Gear for the BBC, he also fronted Brainiac on Sky One until recently.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/5365676.stm

I hope he pulls through. Top Gear is one of my favourite shows and for something so major to go wrong is terrible.
    Steve

Does he work for the BBC or a production company?
    zaax

Prayers for his recovery.

I just heard a phone call with the air ambulance or police (I forget which one it was) on our local news (The story was on our local news, as it covers North Yorkshire, where the accident happened) that he is in a life threatening condition.

I started watching Top Gear on a regular basis a few months ago, and since then, it has been one of my favourite shows.

Hopefully Richard won't become the second high profile TV celeb to pass away this month while filming.
    - Jamie Harrop

ITV News reporting he was trying to break a land speed record. They believe it had been done, but they were doing some final runs for the camera, and the parachute came out to slow him down as expected, but then the car went off the track and ended upside down. No online source for that yet, but as I was flicking through the TV channels, that is what the ITV news were reporting.
    - Jamie Harrop

That sounds a bit rediculous (but then again, this is Top Gear). Normally to beat land speed records they test on extremely flat surfaces -- like the salt flats in ... err .... forgot the exact state.

I love Top Gear, and I pray he pulls through. That guy was actually quite funny.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

It appears they where on one of the runways in yourshire, im not sure if he was trying to break the land speed record (dont forget he would have to break the sound barrier), but i think they where trying to break his record from when he did it in 99.

Hes a fantstic presenter, for both top gear (BBC) and Brainiac (SkyOne) and im sure everyone hopes he is ok.
    Note to self: Add something funny!
    Search is your friend!

BBC reporting he was trying to break the British land speed record. They believe he hit at least 300mph, so he wasn't far off if he didn't break it.

Yes, it was been done on a runway at a former RAF base in North Yorkshire.
    - Jamie Harrop

Some are saying 280 some are saying over 300, either way, it would be brown trousers time for most of us.

I relaly do hope hes ok, hopefully he will be back, with the record, and showing that clarkson isnt the fastest driver.

I wish all the best to himself and his family.
    Note to self: Add something funny!
    Search is your friend!

Doctors are now saying he has a "significant brain injury", but they are reasonably confident that he will make a good recovery.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/5367616.stm

Best of luck to Hammond, one of my favourite presenters for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiHost-Wullie
    Doctors are now saying he has a "significant brain injury", but they are reasonably confident that he will make a good recovery.
    I have to wonder what they mean by "good recovery". I usually hear "full recovery". Does this mean he won't make a full recovery? I guess we don't know yet, but their statement has me worried.
    - Jamie Harrop

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie
    I have to wonder what they mean by "good recovery". I usually hear "full recovery". Does this mean he won't make a full recovery? I guess we don't know yet, but their statement has me worried.
    I heard Brain Damage wasn't off the table.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

Quote Originally Posted by thomase
    I heard Brain Damage wasn't off the table.
    That would be terrible... think I'd rather be dead than in a vegi state of any kind... but that is me....

I hope this guy makes it....

Did he break the record?
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Did he break the record?
    I heard that he broke it, but then they were doing the run again to get the proper shot or something. Its in the BBC report originally linked.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie
    BBC reporting he was trying to break the British land speed record. They believe he hit at least 300mph, so he wasn't far off if he didn't break it.

Yes, it was been done on a runway at a former RAF base in North Yorkshire.
    If he was going 300 then he wasn't even close to breaking the record. the land speed record is 714 miles per hour.

300 isn't even half way there. I mean jeeze funny car drag racers do over 300 in a 1/4 mile.

Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    If he was going 300 then he wasn't even close to breaking the record. the land speed record (set in 1997 i think) is 759 miles per hour.

300 isn't even half way there.
    British land speed record
    We don't have a big desert to drive in so can't quite reach the same speeds
    Steve

Read my post again e-places. I said "British land speed record". The *British* land speed record is just over 300mph, AFAIK.

Edit: Steve beat me to it.
    - Jamie Harrop

ahhh ok. my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    We don't have a big desert to drive in so can't quite reach the same speeds
    you can do it in 1/4 mile it's done every week here.

Anyway, I've watched top gear and I really like the guy. it's a shame this happened.

Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    you can do it in 1/4 mile it's done every week here.

Anyway, I've watched top gear and I really like the guy. it's a shame this happened.
    I meant to hit 760MPH in the UK. As far as I am aware we have no straight, flat ground which is long enough.

We do know how to build fast cars, afterall the land speed record of 763MPH is held by a British car. They just had to fly it over to the USA to use it
    Steve

hahah touche!

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    I meant to hit 760MPH in the UK. As far as I am aware we have no straight, flat ground which is long enough.

We do know how to build fast cars, afterall the land speed record of 763MPH is held by a British car. They just had to fly it over to the USA to use it

maybe some motorway, if it was empty...and without the barriers in the middle? I can't see it happening anytime soon.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

Things seem to be a lot better now:

Top Gear's James May says he is convinced his fellow presenter Richard Hammond is "perfectly intact" after a conversation at his hospital bedside.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5371556.stm

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu
    Did he break the record?
    He broke the record as in he went faster then the 300.3mph current British record.

However, he did not break the official record, as the BBC did not want him to do this, they just wanted him to be the fastest man in Britain.

To break the official record, he would need to have made two runs (in opposite directions), breaking it on both runs. Not sure if they take the average of the two runs.

So he is the fastest man ever on British soil, but he isnt the record holder for it.

Either way, im just praying to god he makes a full recovery, he is one of the freshest and most enthusiatic presenters on British television today.

He is famous round the world for Top Gear and in the UK for Braniac, but he has done a lot of other stuff too. I remember the guy fawkes plot docu he presented, it was so nice to see a young, lively guy present a docu and actually make it kinda fun instead of the usual type.

He is awsome on top gear though, and instrumental to making it what it is and that keeps millions of people, like myself, all around the world, watching it after all these years. I read somewhere 360million people worldwide watch Tope Gear...

Get well soon Hamster, we are all thinking of you!

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!