named at the top of top?

Everytime my server slows down I logged in to SSH and after a top command I am always seeing the "named" at the top of the list why?

Thank you,
    Leo

Does it stay there? What sort of processor utilization are we talking about?
    Cory von Wallenstein, Dynamic Network Services Inc.
    My team and I spent the last few months putting together the DynDNS Spring Server VPS platform for folks needing IPv4 and IPv6 Linux servers on Xen. Would love feedback, both good and bad!

Yes, it is always there... Dual Xeon 3.0 GHz with 2GB Ram

Who owns this process, are you sure it is not an exploit running as the webserver (if no phpsuexec) user ?
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

I think named is bind.

Do you have recursion turned off for named?

running netstat -n |grep 53 shows how many established connections?

Tail -f /var/log/messages and watch for any strange connections via port 53 or any IP's that might be hammering the system.

Yes, i found below about port #53

Sep 20 09:14:10 myhostname named[1475]: lame server resolving 'auser.net' (in 'auser.NET'?): myip#53

What is this lame server thing?

Thanks,
    Leo

What is this lame server thing?
    Lame server means that the domain doesn't have any dns footprint on the server for which it is requesting. But the lame servers queries don't take any cpu resources. As they cant make any request on the asked servers.

Regards
    Mellowhost - Providing High Quality Web Hosting Services since 2007
    SSD Cpanel Shared, SSD OpenVZ & KVM VPS Hosting
    A Hosting Provider with Complete SSD VPS & Shared Hosting.

So what causes the CPU so high? When nobody on the server I mean nobody is browsing a site, named is at the top and using too much resources?

When nobody on the server I mean nobody is browsing a site, named is at the top and using too much resources?
    nobody user mean that the file who requested something is not owned by him. When someone request a httpd connection, it goes to nobody user. Again, if some email send by sendmail without any header goes to nobody user owned process. And most of the requests on named and httpd should be nobody. Because most of the guys who will request for these kind of requests to the server will not be owned by him. But think like ftp, they have authorizations. Thats why there are so few process you will get which is owned by nobody running ftpd.

And about the top process, if you use "Top" command and named process comes at the top of the process list that doesn't mean it is taking the high resources. Top is a real time command, it updates in every second according to the top command configuration. But if the process comes in top that means when top tried to process the working reqested links, he find named process at first. Check other options of the named process on the top resulted command. you can get different informations of it, whether how much cpu load it is taking and memory usage etc etc.

And these will define whether it is the top process or not

Regards
    Mellowhost - Providing High Quality Web Hosting Services since 2007
    SSD Cpanel Shared, SSD OpenVZ & KVM VPS Hosting
    A Hosting Provider with Complete SSD VPS & Shared Hosting.