Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Domainsite down for a long time

Guys,

What is going on with domainsite? They have been down for a long time already!

Anyone here who works in domainsite and care to clarify? Some guys have many domains regged over there...

This downtime is unacceptable. What is going on??

Dont know.. Usualy they send letters about whats happening, but now nothing from their side. Strange :/ Waiting...
    Radijas internete - fm.lt - online radio stations, 400 best world radio station to listen with one click! !

Radijas internete - fm.lt - online radio stations, 400 best world radio station to listen with one click! !

It seems like DomainSite.com, one of the many domain name registrars on the internet has been hacked a couple of hours ago. Unlike the Microsoft France case which was defaced and had the hackers nicknames, the only message that showed up at DomainSite was:

This domain is for sale, please contact support@name.com if you are interested.

Here is how it all started:
    Around 1AM (June 28) the first signs of alert popped up with a thread on a popular forum related to domains called NamePros. Proof number 1

Half an hour later, and another alarm was released on a webdev forum named DigitalPoint. Proof number 2

You can view Proof Number 3 which is a screenshot with the message about the domain being for sale (sorry for the poor screenshot quality, as Shaggy would say: it wasn’t me!).

One hour later and someone at DomainSite started cleaning the mess, so instead of the previous message about the domain there was a cPanel error. Proof Number 4

A few moments later and there was another change when visiting DomainSite, instead of the cPanel error there was a directory listing. Proof Number 5

At the moment (3AM according to Eastern US timezone) I am writing this post, the site is not accessible so I will leave you with some interesting points:

There are a couple of speculations about what really happened/is happening with DomainSite, a user at the DigitalPoint forum suggested that someone was using a particular hacking technique called “Daws” that means redirecting the index on particular IPs, can it be true?

It makes some sense because there was no error while accessing DomainSite under a proxy, it makes even more sense because people of different countries could/can visit the site with no problems at all, while others can’t, like me…

Goodness, what is going to happen to those many domains in there? Some of my firends have like dozens of domains there...!!

I just hope the security of all the domains in there isnt compromised,...this is SERIOUS anyhow the hacking is done...

It's been down about 6 hours now.

It looks like the issue is with their nameservers. Perhaps under DDOS. Or more likely just a network issue at their data center.

http://dnsstuff.com:8080/tools/looku...ite.com&type=A

I get timeouts on all of them. This is a good lesson on DNS redundancy. I regret hosting my DNS with them now. Response time is appauling, and no message on their telephone support, let alone an answer.

The owner of domainsite should get round NOW to explain the situation....

Cmon, the last time this happened, was just so recent....and now AGAIN??

might help: domainsite by IP http://69.25.212.135/

Domainsite is going to lose at least one customer after this. Most of my domains are up for renewal, and they will all be going elsewhere. I tried to be patient for the first few hours, but this is ridiculous.

Thanks, Bro

might help: domainsite by IP http://69.25.212.135/
    Does that mean its just the server problem? I have 24 domains there and some were pushed to me after I bought them at a hefty price...if anything happen to them, gosh I cant imagine....

Apologies cos I'm not a server or DNS genius in any way yet...

We were talking about this in another thread on 08/28/2006
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=542688

and I gave solutions on how to access domainsite.com and name.com in that thread
    ■ Need an eNom retail/reseller account? PM me

Although you can see the site using the IP address...you cant login....

I hope they FIX this fast....its really scary

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityIce
    Although you can see the site using the IP address...you cant login....

I hope they FIX this fast....its really scary
    it seems just a DNS problem, to solve the login problem try adding domainsite domain to your hosts file, on windows xp it is located at
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

add this line

69.25.212.135 www.domainsite.com

then access www.domainsite.com, hope that works

EDITED: added www on the domain
    Last edited by liandra; 09-16-2006 at 03:48 PM.
    ■ Need an eNom retail/reseller account? PM me

Thanks alot!!

Thanks Liandra, for your helpful tips,

I'm sure many people would be really worried if they were aware of the current domainsite problem....

If this situation drags on longer, and it seems to be worldwide.....they better be getting themselves some really good servers and make that # 1 priority....

Thanks for that awesome tip. Wish I'd found their IP earlier. Hoping that the nameserver change I just put through will propagate up... today.

Actually it just started working again all by itself. Wow, finally, after 8 hours of downtime.

* whoa! scary!(I should've looked before I posted elsewhere)

Yep, I agree their getting reliable servers should be #1, and having weekend phone response, I think, should perhaps also be a priority. The recorded menu I got said M-F, no weeked stuff offered, not even an option for network/server status query.

I just recently went through re-registration (not to mention host move, too...), now I'm thinking of godaddy already.

Groan!

I think they have been hacked two time before. Not a secure registry company

Yo, solidar:

By "They", I take it you mean, "domainsite", and not the "godaddy" to which I also referred?

scary
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I went to login so I can transfer a domain I have with them which expires next month, I wanted to find the transfer secret so I can transfer it but I also have errors.

I managed to get the home page on a refresh but when I logged in I get this:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't create a new thread (errno 11); if you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in /usr/local/apache2/www.domainsite.com/global/global.php on line 102

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't create a new thread (errno 11); if you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in /usr/local/apache2/www.domainsite.com/global/global.php on line 105

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't create a new thread (errno 11); if you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in /usr/local/apache2/www.domainsite.com/global/global.php on line 107

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/apache2/www.domainsite.com/global/global.php:102) in /usr/local/apache2/www.domainsite.com/global/global.php on line 112
    now after refreshing browser again I get this:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't create a new thread (errno 11); if you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in /usr/local/apache2/www.domainsite.com/global/global.php on line 117

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/apache2/www.domainsite.com/global/global.php:117) in /usr/local/apache2/www.domainsite.com/make_secure.php on line 5
    UPDATE: I can't even use the IP: http://69.25.212.135/ as I still get the MySql errors as above.
    Last edited by Right Hosting; 09-18-2006 at 09:42 PM.

I was about to post the same thing... Planned on getting away from them this week, but I guess that was too slow!

Wow, just wow!

yeah, I should have moved when I managed to login last time. I just need to grab the secret code, I'm unsure where I find it or what it looks like?

They seem to be up right now
    Ajay D'Souza

WebberZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast