Domain setup on Windows

Hi,

I recently got a windows box (at Hivelocity), and need to setup domain on it. That is, get my domain.com to point to this new windows server. HV guy has already setup nameserver for me.

I've already updated my domain for new nameservers and the DNS has already propagated, but the domain currently shows a 404 error.

So I need some help setting up the domain on windows box and display c:/www/tomcat5/webapps/xyz directory as home to this domain.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Assuming you have not control panel:

Open IIS Manager.

Right Click on websites and create new web site.

Enter a description and then select the IP of the site. If you are going to be running multiple sites on this ip you will also need to setup a host header.

At the next screen select the path you want as the home directory, in your case c:/www/tomcat5/webapps/xyz.

At the next page select thr permisions you require on your site.

Then hit finish, if it creates ok, your done.

Hope this helps
    █ Windows and Exchange Server Experts, UK and US Dedicated Exchange Servers.
    MCSE Certified, Registered Microsoft Partner.
    █ Exchange 2010, Server 2008 and IIS 7 Services now available!
    www.windowsserv.com Email: mail@windowsserv.com

404 error represents - There seems to be missing application mappings for that particular extension or the requested file does not exist.
    Live Your DreamZ
    ~Besty

Sam,

I'm running Apache server, not IIS. Anyway, I did as you said, and a domain profile was created but it gives an error when I try to start it, says:

Process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
    Last edited by openXS; 09-20-2006 at 09:06 AM.

If your running apache, you won't be able to start IIS as it's using the same ports.

Heres a pretty good guide for setting up apache, its for XP, but applies to 2003 too
    http://johnbokma.com/windows/apache-...-hosts-xp.html
    █ Windows and Exchange Server Experts, UK and US Dedicated Exchange Servers.
    MCSE Certified, Registered Microsoft Partner.
    █ Exchange 2010, Server 2008 and IIS 7 Services now available!
    www.windowsserv.com Email: mail@windowsserv.com

btw, if I run on IIS, will I still be able to run tomcat, php, mysql, cgi and perl without heavy reconfigration? As I've everything already setup on apache.

Quote Originally Posted by openXS
    btw, if I run on IIS, will I still be able to run tomcat, php, mysql, cgi and perl without heavy reconfigration? As I've everything already setup on apache.
    Hi,

I am not sure of tomcat (but it should not give any problem). You can easily cofigure PHP, MySQL, cgi/perl on iis. First you need to decide weather you want to run as ISAPI filter or as an exe. (exe is not recommended, as it is not secure).

You dont need to make any changes in iis to run mysql on the server.
    << Please review the Forum Guidelines regarding signatures >>