"Updating" AWStats .. How Long is Reasonable

Hi Guys,

I hope this is posted in the right place.

I am on a VPS with 250mb RAM and have one (of about 20) site that normally gets 1,200 - 1,500 visitors and around 4,000 page views per day.

I wanted to see what some local big stories might be doing to my traffic, so I hit the "Update now" link on AWStats.

I have only been on this server about 14 months, so that would be the max on the log file.

It has been at least 10 minutes so far and the "update" is still "running".

1 - Is there a good rule-of-thumb for how fastt a Linux server with 250mg RAM will update these stats?

2 - Is such a long "update" time indicitave of problems?

3 - Is there some action I should be taking re the regular updating of stats. I have them running every 3 days and off peak hours, but ...?

TIA

It depends on how big your log files are. It is generally better to do the logs each day at the offpeak hours this way the logs are smaller and take less time to parse instead of making the task longer when it will be causing the issue.
    BLUETRIDENT.NET - Reliable Shared, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions Provider
    Managed Hosting with Personal Service
    Highspeed Content Servers, Lighttpd, Ruby on Rails, Cluster Servers & Rich Web Application Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by ImZan
    It depends on how big your log files are. It is generally better to do the logs each day at the offpeak hours this way the logs are smaller and take less time to parse instead of making the task longer when it will be causing the issue.
    When I was setting the stats processing in my WHM, I looked at "every 24 hours", and the system warned that it would place too big a load on the server.