How to grab an expiring domain?

Basically, a domain that I very badly want is expiring in about a week. How can I grab this domain and keep it from being taken by some ad company?

Quote Originally Posted by kvnband
    Basically, a domain that I very badly want is expiring in about a week. How can I grab this domain and keep it from being taken by some ad company?
    That would depend on:

1. Perceived value from other individuals/companies
    2. How much you are willing to pay

Check the domain to see which registrar (Network Solutions, eNom, etc.) the domain is at. If you want it bad enough, do

1. Sign up for an account with whatever registrar and place a back order (low probability)
    2. Sign up at Pool.com , Snapnames.com, and monikoer.com and place a back order bid (similar to ebay auction, although with pool.com, you just don't know who you are competing against) with the maximum amount of money you are willing to pay for that particular domain.

If the domain is a dictionary word (one or two) with high-traffic, you might as well forget about it and look for another one.

Good luck!

GoDaddy.com has a domain backorder service for less than $20. I've snagged a few domain names using it.

You might want to check this thread by Stu2.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Thanks for the info guys....the domain isn't a dictionary word....it isn't horribly popular at the moment (except amongst spammers)....It used to be a good forum but the owner let it die......and it looks like he's just going to let it expire...

what company is the domain registrar?

It's through namebargain.

I used to do programming work for the current owner, and he refused to sell it to me before (about a year ago) and it has just been gathering dust this whole time...perhaps I'll try to get it from him again before it expires...

I take back this whole thread...
    The owner has renewed the domain, even though he is doing nothing with it. For the past 5 months I have been cleaning up the current site and getting rid of the spammers (I used to do work for him on this site, before it died, so I still have all the login details).....and now I have no chance of getting it

Time to let it decay again..