Cheaters or? - buying ppc and banner ads

I'm using some ppc search engines and are buying banner impressions from different networks. My web stats shows that visitors who comes from, for instance, findwhat and overture are usually visiting more than one page at my web site (several page views) while the majority of visitors from some other ppc search engines and banner networks only visits 1 page (1 page view). As for some of the ppc search engines I find this a little odd because those are people actively searching for hosting services - why does my web stat then only show 1 page view for most visitors coming from some of those ppc search engines? The only 1 page view is more understandable for visitors who clicked on a banner on a banner network, and who were not actively searching for hosting services but were just tempted to take a quick look etc. Do I have a reason to be suspicious when buying advertising/ppc from those suppliers? I wouldn't want to waste money and would be more selective if cheating is normal in this field. Hoping for some input. (is there any web sites recommending places to advertise and places NOT to advertise?)

Thank you
    John

It's called sport

clickers and there are lots of em, most are your fellow host, I have even seen a few post here where someone even admited to doing it.

Basicly they are just clicking for the fun of it to run your advertising bill up.

That's to bad. Why would anyone want to climb down to that level and do something like that?

John

I can not say for sure, but I can guess.. maybe ppc search engine 'owners' make profit for themself?

I can not say for sure, but I can guess.. maybe ppc search engine 'owners' make profit for themself?

Wov! it's getting even worser. Maybe some of the lesser known ones - I've thought about that. To bad if this is true.

John

www.findmyhosting.com is an interesting concept, though we have yet pick up any sales through them. The majority of our clients find us in Google.

just did a search for hosting....

The top listing has paid:

(Cost to advertiser: $4.75)

I wanna click on it just to see who in thier right mind will pay that much for me to see who will pay that much....

Those PPC Search Engines should really install a 'fake-click prevention' script that only allows 1 click per day based on IP.

Those PPC Search Engines should really install a 'fake-click prevention' script that only allows 1 click per day based on IP.

Yeah, you're right. Maybe we should suggest it to them - it has probably already been done several times.

John

All PPCs - even those ones using that SmartCGIs script - have that kind of fraud prevention in place already.

The problem is this: PPCs incentivise their affiliates/partners on a 3 cents a click basis. Some of these partners then incentivise their own affiliates on a 1c per click basis. Consequently, you get lots of fraudulent traffic that is nigh on impossible for the smaller PPCs to police. They are aware it's going on, but as this is a large part of their revenue, they don't really care.

The good PPCs will monitor traffic from all sources and kick out any partner whose quality of traffic is low, the bad won't. You should stick with Overture, Espotting, and maybe GoClick, FindWhat (though they deal with scumware), EPilot, Kanoodle possibly and leave the rest alone.
    search engine positioning and ranking services. Guaranteed results. http://www.1design4life.co.uk

Hello all.

I own a PPC style hosting directory and I would just like to say that all clicks through our site are tracked. Each hosting company is shown details such as time of click and ip address of visitors in the reports section. We also only count unique hits from a 24 hour period. We are considered a small ppc site.

Don't get me wrong i do understand that sport clicking does happen but just remember its not just done on PPC systems its done on all types of advertising.

Before you guys go flaming PPC systems make sure you have correct facts!

Remember advertising is a gamble, you dont know what type of visitor you will attract and you cant tell what type of visitor you will get. Its just the way its works!
    ...::: HOST APPROVAL :::...
    Web Hosting Directory
    http://www.hostapproval.com/
    http://www.hostapproval.com/hostadmin/add_your_host.php

VSector,

Firstly, it's not true of other advertising models. PPC is the only one where you are paying per click.

Secondly, how do you detect the use of automated click scripts that spoof IPs.

Thirdly, I have the facts, thank you. The type of competitor clicking that this thread started with is easy to police; incentivised clicking and automated scripts are not.
    search engine positioning and ranking services. Guaranteed results. http://www.1design4life.co.uk

PPC

I belive PPC is brillant, belive it or not I have had 40ish click throughs on google and over 50% of them signed up. I know it does not work for all people but it works for me.

Just my .02c
    HostHeadQuarters.com
    Reliable Hosting
    Great Support

Guys,

I am also the co-founder of Snooply.com a pay-per-performance search engine. We work very closely with FindWhat.com. We know for a fact that they do not make "profit" off fake clicks. Their system is so advanced, almost 60% of clicks don't go through, just to protect advertisers. In any case that there is a discovery that some went through your account is refunded with the amount.

There are some corrupt PPC companies out there, just try to do a check on them before continuing to advertise on them.
    Kaumil P.

Originally posted by Marts
    PPC

I belive PPC is brillant, belive it or not I have had 40ish click throughs on google and over 50% of them signed up. I know it does not work for all people but it works for me.

Just my .02c
    Maybe google is working for you, but you won't be getting many clickthroughs from the WWW address on your profile!

(http://www.webhostingtalk.com/www.hostheadquarters.com)

Hmm thats an interesting one ... check profile everything is in order. Seems like a bud

<<MOD NOTE: This has been fixed.>>
    Last edited by Chicken; 06-17-2002 at 11:55 AM.
    HostHeadQuarters.com
    Reliable Hosting
    Great Support