Hybrid View

Question Learning more about a Host without asking?

Just about all Hosts web pages offer pretty well the same stuff. Without emailing each and every one that appears to offer the better deal, is there a way - a registry of sorts, that details what other things they offer such as:
    1. What ports are available for UDP/TCP and...
    2. What FTP speeds average out during Up/Download transfers.
    3. Where their support lay; offshore or N.A.
    4. Where their servers are; offshore or N.A.
    5. Do they provide Private Nameservers.

J.

If replying, please ensure your reply does not create the illusion that the post is in breach of Forum Rules.
    The Internet is now the SMRCnet - Stalk, Monitor, Record, Control

Quote Originally Posted by JimDixon
    Just about all Hosts web pages offer pretty well the same stuff. Without emailing each and every one that appears to offer the better deal, is there a way - a registry of sorts, that details what other things they offer such as:
    1. What ports are available for UDP/TCP and...
    2. What FTP speeds average out during Up/Download transfers.
    3. Where their support lay; offshore or N.A.
    4. Where their servers are; offshore or N.A.
    5. Do they provide Private Nameservers.

J.

If replying, please ensure your reply does not create the illusion that the post is in breach of Forum Rules.
    I do not believe that these questions may be answered with a directory, because many of them vary on location and server load (such as FTP up&down speeds). Server location many hosts list right on their site (that is, IF they have their own servers). As for support, its pretty easy to tell whether support is outsourced or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    As for support, its pretty easy to tell whether support is outsourced or not.
    How so?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Those type of questions most likely would have to come from the host themselves, which would require you to contact them.

May I ask why you need Private Nameservers, and specific ports open?

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by xxkylexx
    May I ask why you need Private Nameservers, and specific ports open?
    Kyle
    As it is I have a dozen do-nothing mini-webs pointing from their respective Registrar to the existing private nameserver. And, I understand that I need a PNS in order to install SSL - but even if not, I manage them from WHM off the PNS Dom.

Ports? I just need one particular one open so a script can communicate with a postal servce to calculate real-time postal shipping from point of origin to destination costs. The customer sees the actual cost of shipping, added to their bill - in real time. The script has no backend processes.

Many hosts opened the specific port as I have seen discussions elsewhere where people are using it with success, or problems. But those Hosts that offer the ecommerce programs, don't mention whether or not they open that port. Some users, in discussions discovered too late that the host won't open the port. Their ecommerce still works, but they need tro guess at some postal rates.
    The Internet is now the SMRCnet - Stalk, Monitor, Record, Control

Well if it is a specific port it should be easy enough to just ask the host as part of your pre-sales evaluation of that host.

As for server location it is usually stated upfront, and besides the overall important thing is what customer satisfaction the company has.

Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

The easiest way would be to ask but you could also try and find some users on here that are customers of the host you are looking at and ask them.
    Mike Johnson - thehostinglist.com
    Reviews of the world's top web hosting providers
    Check our reviews at thehostinglist.com before you buy your web hosting package!

As for listing which ports a host has open.

A good host is only going to have ports open that are needed. On a new server thats just a handful of ports. If a customer needs a port open, and has a legitimate reason (like this) they should be more than happy to open that port up.

I would type up a questionnaire and fire it off to each host your considering, then gage their responses.

-Jason
    Have you considered Semi-dedicated Hosting? 4 - 8 accounts per server. Less overhead than VPS, better performance for the price.
    DopeDomains.com - 15,000 New Domains a day. indexed by Pagerank, backlinks, Hits, and Length.