Hybrid View

Need web host that does not block senders without reverse DNS

I've used Fuitadnet.com for three years, and I was happy with them overall. They gave me 3GB/25GB bandwidth/cpanel with the works, etc. However, downtime became more regular, and the price increased from $5 to $7.50, so I went in search of other hosts.

First, here's my complaint with Routhost.com - a lying rat of a web hosting company:

I was promised by Routhost that if I signed up for an account, you would not block email messages from my customers **that do not have reverse DNS enabled on their mail server**. However, now that I've signed up, paid, and changed my name servers, I've found out that they are indeed blocking these email messages. My customers have absolutely no control over this. I can not tell my customers to fix their reverse dns settings - it's very embarrassing not to be able to receive their email messages and neither of us being able to do anything about it.

I explained this many times to Routhost before creating an account and was assured that they would NOT block these messages. They assured me that they understood that I was not referring to Routhost mail servers having reverse DNS. The live chat person understood and said that I would receive all email messages - they would not be rejected due to the sender not having reverse DNS enabled.

Fastnext.com was another company that had this horrible email policy and I had to leave them after only a few days of fighting with them (I made the mistake of not asking them beforehand). It was only until I had to threaten a credit card chargeback did they agree to refund my payment.
    So, I've basically been lied to by Routhost, given a headache by Fastnext, and now have to find yet another web host that will NOT reject email from senders if their mail server does not have reverse DNS.

Can anybody tell me of a web host that they know for a fact will not reject email messages from senders that do not have reverse DNS enabled? Please do not turn this into a debate as to why reverse DNS should be enabled, since I have absolutely no control over that with my customers. Clearly they're not trying to send me spam, and I receive a ton of spam anyway - so the policy doesn't seem to be all that helpful in the first place. Since the web hosts simply lie to me, I can no longer rely on asking the companies directlky - I am coming here for truthful responses. Also please do not tell me to search - I've searched and have found a ton of posts with users telling others to use the search feature. Performing google searches is a marketing bonanza with no "real" first hand reviews.

I need 2-3GB of web storage, 20GB/month bandwidth, ssh, unlimited ftp, all standard email features such as forwarding and spam assassin, cpanel, awstats, mysql/php, and quality 24/7 support (i do not need to have phone suport, but their techs must speak english as a first language). I'd prefer that they have a server status page, such as: http://www.routhost.com/support.php

I'd also prefer if they had public forums like Fuitadnet did. I plan on hosting 2 web pages on the one account. I thought that I could have all of this for ~$5/month, but my budget is now no more than $10/month. I don't see why this is such a problem. (sigh)

Uhm. If you run a mail server, you would definately want to check to see if whomever is connecting to your server has a valid reverse dns if they were trying to deliver a message to your mail server. This will cut down on the amount of spam your server would receive, but that is only when the emails final destination is your machine.

If a client was authenticating with your mail server to send email out. Then a reverse DNS check wouldn't need to be done, the user is already being authenticated.
    Last edited by comm; 09-19-2006 at 12:18 PM.

No offense, but you sound like the support staff of these web hosts I've had trouble with.

I want to receive email messages from ALL of my customers and relations - period. I do not care if their mail server does not have reverse DNS setup. Clearly they are not trying to spam me. With Routhost rejecting email messages if the sender does not have reverse DNS, I never see and permanently lose their email message.

Example:
    this sender does not have reverse dns enable on their mail server @ wherever.com sends an email address to me@mydomain.com.

the message from them never reaches me@mydomain.com. this is very upsetting. they are not trying to spam me. why is this such a chore?

before somebody suggests it, I don't have the time or resources to run my own hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthekiller
    No offense, but you sound like the support staff of these web hosts I've had trouble with.

I want to receive email messages from ALL of my customers and relations - period. I do not care if their mail server does not have reverse DNS setup. Clearly they are not trying to spam me. With Routhost rejecting email messages if the sender does not have reverse DNS, I never see and permanently lose their email message.

Example:
    this sender does not have reverse dns enable on their mail server @ wherever.com sends an email address to me@mydomain.com.

the message from them never reaches me@mydomain.com. this is very upsetting. they are not trying to spam me. why is this such a chore?

before somebody suggests it, I don't have the time or resources to run my own hosting.
    And the email message won't reach Hotmail or many other email providers. It has been practice to filter out email during the SMTP transaction, instead of accepting the message and marking it as SPAM.

Just ask the right question. Do you reject email from servers that don't have a valid Reverse DNS at SMTP time? Would it be possible to have it handled through 'procmail' or 'spamassassin' for my account?

You will need to test this yourself, as you might be receiving old or incorrect information from the hosting provider your chose. I don't think its a matter of lying but rather just the Sales Person or Support person trying to snag you as a customer?

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by iamthekiller
    I need 2-3GB of web storage, 20GB/month bandwidth, ssh, unlimited ftp, all standard email features such as forwarding and spam assassin, cpanel, awstats, mysql/php, and quality 24/7 support (i do not need to have phone suport, but their techs must speak english as a first language). I'd prefer that they have a server status page, such as: http://www.routhost.com/support.php

I'd also prefer if they had public forums like Fuitadnet did. I plan on hosting 2 web pages on the one account. I thought that I could have all of this for ~$5/month, but my budget is now no more than $10/month. I don't see why this is such a problem. (sigh)
    Good luck with that.....

You wont find any reliable hosts offering all that for $5-10 p/m, if you happen to find a host for those prices i guess we'll expect to see you back here soon.

Try raising your budget a litte, if you want quality you have to pay for it.

I'm not asking for too much at this price range. I've seen plenty of posts about hosts offering what would meet my needs - it's just that I can't get a straight answer from them when it comes to this email issue.

If anybody has actual host recommendations without strict inbound email settings such as reverse DNS requirement, please post them.

Other than the SSH I don't think he's asking too much for $10/mo. In terms of e-mail, I think you should send a test e-mail to your next "qualifying" host as proof. I can personally tell you that our e-mail server does not block out these e-mails, but instead labels them as SPAM-HIGH (as all hosts should, if they allowed the customer to control e-mail settings). Once again, basically once you find a host you're willing to go with ask the host to tell you what the e-mail reads (sent from a customer's address).

Pretty simple eh?

You could also KEEP your current web host and use an email service
    JUST to handle your domain email.....(on average less than $4 mo)

Like:

http://www.everyone.net/

or

http://www.fusemail.com/

Both have Sales Phone Numbers you can call and discuss your requirements....

or

Just Google "email+hosting"

Last edited by bdsnyder; 09-19-2006 at 04:33 PM.

Definitely sounds like an odd-ball situation or specific setup by the Hoster. Only other thing it could be is default setting of Exim which automatically kicks-back these type eMails:

no host name found for IP address 61.76.0.66

If there is no Host name for the Server sending the eMail, then it makes good sense to refuse any eMail sent from that Server.

If the Thread starter could post an actual error msg., not an example, it would help to determine just what the problem is.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Routhost has removed the block on senders that do not have reverse DNS enabled! I can't believe a web host actually took my case into consideration and removed this block that only prevented me from receiving legitimate messages.

That being resolved, Routhost meets all of my needs and I'm very happy with the service I've been given. I should not that all previous messages from Routhost were responded to in under 30 minutes. Only this issue took longer to be resolved.