09-19-2006, 11:39 AM #1New Member
- Join Date
- Sep 2006
If Someone Could Just Help Me Get Started
Hi, it's my first time moving to VPS.
I've been trying for so many days, but I still can't get a single web up.
My VPS is unmanaged, so it's a toughie getting help. If anyone can point me into the right direction, I'd be very grateful.
- I bought a domain through GoDaddy, eg: dandomain.com
- My VPS is hosted elsewhere, with 3IPs and cpanel.
- I can't seem to get dandomain.com to point to my VPS IPs.
What I've done:
- Created hostnames in GoDaddy - ns1.dandomain.com and ns2.dandomain.com
- Point dandomain.com to the above nameservers.
- I can now ping ns1.dandomain.com and ns2.dandomain.com, but not dandomain.com
- GoDaddy tells me "Your IP addresses are refusing connections. Please make sure your zone file is correctly configured"
So I assume I should add a DNS zone in cpanel.
Should I add dandomain.com or ns1.dandomain.com?
I tried dandomain.com but it says it exists already. I tried ns1.dandomain.com it gives me the following error:
Bind reconfiguring on server using rndc
Error reconfiguring bind on server: rndc: connect failed: connection refused
Created DNS entry for ns1.okaneweb.com
Should I be messing with the DNS zones or the Nameservers options in cpanel? I'm really confused.
Any help greatly appreciated!
09-19-2006, 11:52 AM #2Junior Guru
- Join Date
- May 2006
- Coimbra, Portugal
Probably everything is ok, just bind down, some new cpanel installations have bind disabled due security reasons.
Just go to WHM and activate it
You can do it going to:
» NameServer Configuration
09-19-2006, 12:44 PM #3Web Hosting Master
- Join Date
- Dec 2004
The simple truth is many Cpanel installs on VPS's come with very broken DNS.
Follow these steps:
1) Go into WHM setup and make sure nameservers are enabled. It will not hurt to do it again..if you've already done this.
2) Do add zones for both nameservers...seperately..you can do this in the main setup screen *or* manually through the DNS zones section of WHM.
3) Now...if DNS is not setup correctly...you should get something like "Connection refused" jazz. Ok..here's how to fix that:
4) Login as root to the VPS..and cd out of the root directory into scripts directory.
type: cd ../scripts
5) Here's where it gets iffy. I've had success with both..so try them both..it won't mess up anything:
service named stop
service named start
This is actually optional..Cpanel will automagically try and restart things like that...but doesn't always suceed.
7) Go to godaddy and try again.
Also remember that these changes still do take 24 hours...so don't try and add new nameservers right after adding them in "hosts" section of godaddy.
BryonBryon L Harvey
Soil Relocation Engineer