How do you fight with fraud?

Hello,

what methods do you use to fight with spam? Really intersting, because i'm trying to decide what to use (near 2co merchant).
    Thanks for replies
    Radijas internete - fm.lt - online radio stations, 400 best world radio station to listen with one click! !

Are we fighting Fraud or Spam? If you mean fraud signups then there are different options. Such as fraudguardian.com there are also voice verification systems out there that call a client when they signup.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

You must be referring to fraudulent credit card transactions (not spam as they are different) as you mentioned 2CO - a online 3rd party merchant account provider.

The best way still for me is manual verification of sales orders if you are selling instant products or services on the web.

Hope this helps.
    Don't Lose Your Website Ever Again!
    Backup All Your Domains and MySQL Databases Automatically
    Grab this Website Backup Software today.

Yeah, manual screening as well as voice verifying (call them). Those 2 things alone have cut our fraud rate to almost zero.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    Yeah, manual screening as well as voice verifying (call them). Those 2 things alone have cut our fraud rate to almost zero.

--Tina
    How many sign ups you get per day? We will not be able verify all of them manually
    Radijas internete - fm.lt - online radio stations, 400 best world radio station to listen with one click! !

I agree that manual screening before processing is by far the best. If you think about it - fraud in hosting really became an issue as more and more host went to instant account activation and payments were processed right away. Then they brought out the the voice verifying scripts that tend to help but I still believe the best way is manual. Account setup on our end is stated to take up-to 24 hours. I know many will argure this point but for us - it just works better. It is only my opinion that it might work best for others.

Thanks

Approving orders manually is a great way to sort such things.

We use a GeoIP database check on all signups (from maxmind.com) among other tools to do our own fraud screening. We dont rely on any outside 'fraud scoring' system since they never take the hit when they are wrong- so you better take it on yourself. We verify the zipcode/areacode/state/city-name/country from their ip on signup and then can follow up with more verification if something seems 'off' (i.e. someone claiming to be in the US signing up from a korean ip). This tool helps greatly against proxy signups as well - maps to within 25 miles of the ip so its easy to sniff out trouble based on the address they claim, and the one we detect.
    TurnKey Internet, Inc : phone 1.518.618.0999 and 1.877.539.4638 | Contact Us
    Cloud Servers | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | VPS | Mail Services | Reseller hosting
    New York / East Coast Green Datacenter

Hello,

You need to check the IPs while signing up or activating your clients. The match category is IP place and IP address should match. If you find any difference between them then please do not activate the clients.

Moreover, do not allow vietnam clients to enter your server that is activating vietnam clients, since most of them are professional hackers.

You can ask your payment gateway to check for the fraud clients signing up for and give the reports of those clients to you and they will get that done for you.

2checkout.com, normally does that and the bill which is sent to you normally contains the report at the end whether the client is fraud customer or not.

Thank you.

Regards,

Well i will always prefer fraudguardin.com

Quote Originally Posted by hostechsupport
    Moreover, do not allow vietnam clients to enter your server that is activating vietnam clients, since most of them are professional hackers.
    Sadly that is a fact. We're working with another host to track down someone who is placing fraudulent orders using random IP's. The host we're talking to has also had their servers hacked (and erased the data on the drives i believe) by this person. I would take especially serious precautions these next couple months including calling and verifying each one of your orders. Maybe even have them fill out CC authorization forms with drivers license and a front copy fo the CC.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers