virtual servers...

i guess this is a newbie question, but will a vitual server w/root access enable me to upgrade apache/php/etc?

-edit-
    to make clearier, is a virtual server w/root access the same as an unmanaged dedicated server with the only difference being that it is "shared" among many hosts?
    Last edited by jusunlee; 06-10-2002 at 11:06 PM.

Well, I have not actually seen a host providing virtual/shared hosting to provide root access. Yes, it is true that what is changed at root level could/would affect all the sites hosted on the server. It would probably also allow you access to other sites on the server too. This in itself is probably very dangerous.

I believe that all the upgrades should be better left to the web administrator's control.

To answer your question, yes, if you have true root access, you can do whatever you want to the server, including making changes to whatever files.

But I believe that most of the time, when telnet access is provided, there may be some restricted areas which you cannot touch. Basically the You-can-see-but-cannot-touch policy. This would thus safeguard the server from abuse. By providing access to area other than your own web spaces would mean that a lot of faith is entrusted upon you by the administrators.

I am no administrator but just speaking from the experience I have with my dedicated server. I'll let the rest fill in on the rest of the details.

Edwin
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

I am not sure what VDS software they are running, but in all of them that allow root, you can install/run almost anything (almost because some things wont work i.e. Packet Sniffers won't work).

If it is a "virtual" that just allows an "admin" root, then you SHOULD still be able to upgrade what you mentioned there with no problem.

The answer to your question depends completely on the type of virtual server technology used. For example, if your host uses VMWare, then you have true root access. However, if your host uses freeVDS, then your power is limited. In most cases, you should be able to install common packages as root in the particular virtual server.

Your analogy does not quite work because not all virtual server technologies are created equal. With a real dedicated server, you will have more power (access to hardware, kernel module, etc...) than just a virtual server. So a virtual server is not identical with a dedicated server. However, for the most common tasks, you can assume a virtual server behave like a read dedicated server.

Peter

Prehaps I simplified things to much as well, but really the only "virtual" that would offer hardware controls an everything would be VMWare simply because it actually "emulates" a whole PC inside a PC, while the other solutions sit there with far more restrictions, but for the most part you have control on the software end.

I think you were talking about this after reading the posts again, but of well:
    -edit-
    to make clearier, is a virtual server w/root access the same as an unmanaged dedicated server with the only difference being that it is "shared" among many hosts?

wow. thanks for clearing everything up.
    i am using freevsd. can anyone provide a link to a good how-to in updating apache? i tried a fresh install on a different location and tried to kill the httpd process of the older apache (since i didnt know how to locate it and send an end process) but failed, with the console outputing "not owner".

can someone experienced with freevsd help?

Is webmin supplied? I know it is commonly supplied, and from there you can stop apache.

if not, you can use the apachectl to stop apache, and to do that you will have to find it, it can be in a number of locations depending on how it was installed (compiled/rpm/tarbal/whatever)

-edit-
    webmin is installed. thanks for the pm. i thought it wasnt originally. (ahh.. im so lost). but seems like i cant log in. is the username/password the same as the telnet/ssh username/password? ..because i cant log in.

oh, and is there a command where i can search through the files for a specific file? (for apachectl)

and one more newbie question.
    so if a host gives out telnet/ssh access, that means i can update php/cgi/etc myself?

sure, for a simple compile in a sorta easy to use interface (last time i used it) check out the Apachetoolbox at www.apachetoolbox.com

and for that you need to be SSHed in, probably use wget to get the file/s and then you will have to:

gunzip filename
    tar -xvf filename
    and then type "ls -a"
    go to the folder it is put in and their instructions pick up from there

thanks for the help.
    and i edited my previous post. seems like webmin is installed afterall.

Webmin username should be: root and your password, you will have to set it up to allow a non-SU user in, but I would not recomend it.

hmm. i still cant log in. is there a file containing the log-in information where i can manually edit?

Talk to your host, they should know.

[edit] they might also have it set to just allow LOCAL in the restrictions, for you to use it, it will need your IP address/range to allow you

any idea on VMWare pricing model for VPS technology? thx

A 30 second visit to the online store tells me it is about $3550 for the server version that will run about 16 virtual machines.

Oh, but that require some behemoth of a server to run that many virtual PCs. Im talking Quad Xeon, 4GB ram, SCSI 15,000RPM drive to get any performance out of it.

Yes. The VMWare technology is not only expensive, it is also very slow. Unless you have powerful hardware, the performance of the individual virtual server would not be acceptable.

The desktop version of it seems much less expansive ($300), but unfortunately it requires X-windows.

Peter

Hey..

Ensim ServerXchange is the only platform that offers true Virtual Private Servers. Private Servers give you true root access and gaurantees on CPU/BW/MEMORY/DISK/PROCESS and allows you to maintain QOS/SLA.

So I take it as VMware doesn't offer true VPS? What do you mean by "true VPS"?

Also, Matt, I don't recall your post count being that low? Did my memory fail me again?

Peter

You can not use VMWare as a production hosting platform. The overhead is way to high.

(My posts are accurate. I don't come here much anymore. Business is too good and I don't have the time.)

I think that's an arguable point: The E series of the server version has a native OS, so the performance should be much better. Although that kind of VPS is not anything anyone in this forum looking for; I can imagine the cost being astronomical.

Good to know business is going well for you

(I knew my memory is not reliable.....better get a RAM check.....)

Peter

Originally posted by remarkable
    Hey..

Ensim ServerXchange is the only platform that offers true Virtual Private Servers. Private Servers give you true root access and gaurantees on CPU/BW/MEMORY/DISK/PROCESS and allows you to maintain QOS/SLA.
    You are not quite right. There is another solution. It is called "ISPsystem". We use it in our hosting company ISPserver.com and we prepare it for open offer.

Sorry leiden... a FreeBSD Jailed VDS is not the same as a Private Server. If you are saying what you are providing has the same QOS/SLA gaurantee then you are mistaken.

Originally posted by leiden

You are not quite right. There is another solution. It is called "ISPsystem". We use it in our hosting company ISPserver.com and we prepare it for open offer.

Sorry, remarkable...
    But if you think we use a simple FreeBSD jailed VDS you are mistaken. ISPsystem is on the base of Jail. But our development team overwright near the half of it . And I think in the nearest future QoS of ISPsystem will be the same as Ensim ServerXchange. Yes - It is not right now.

I correct myself.

Ensim ServerXchange is "CURRENTLY" the only platform that offers true Virtual Private Servers. Private Servers give you true root access and gaurantees on CPU/BW/MEMORY/DISK/PROCESS and allows you to maintain QOS/SLA.

Originally posted by remarkable
    Hey..