Thread: Server hanged

Server hanged

Hello,

Its been third time since July that my server has hanged and techs had to reboot it.

Can anyone please tell me if there is a way to find out what has caused it to hang once it was rebooted ?
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

A little more info would help some.
    Do you have ssh access to the box? What do you have running on it?

Assuming it's a *nix machine you could try looking at the various logfiles such as /var/log/messages.

You should definitely take a look at /var/log/messages as suggested above. In addition, is this a (semi-)managed server by any chance? If so, you can probably ask the techs to take a look at the issue for you as well.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Odds are the problem is with Apache or mySQL. Your Apche errors logs might be helpful but for the most part, once a reboot is done you lose most all of any useful information, that help determine the exact problem.

Probable solutions are; add more more RAM and/or optimize Apache and/or mySQL.
    Last resort is to get a beefier Server or another Server, to transfer some accounts onto.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Ask your technicians for assistance... believe me, they don't *WANT* to have to go into the server room and manually reboot your machine when it crashes, so it's in their best interest to help you.
    Cory von Wallenstein, Dynamic Network Services Inc.
    My team and I spent the last few months putting together the DynDNS Spring Server VPS platform for folks needing IPv4 and IPv6 Linux servers on Xen. Would love feedback, both good and bad!

Thanks everyone
    Its FreeBSD
    Which text viewer should i use to read that file ?
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

less is good:
    Code:
    less /var/log/messages
    less /var/log/httpd-error.log
    Specializing in MySQL and website tuning for high traffic sites. cmwsci.com/

Thanks sailorFred
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

You can also try to check out the server memory as well as run a test on them to check out if any possibility of a bad RAM