MB/second ded server - somebody please check my math

Hello,

I'm trying to figure which dedicated server is better as far as bandwidth goes: 2000GB/month or 10mbit/sec unmetered.

If I break it down to total megs per month, this is what I get:

2,000,000 megs per month = 2000GB/month
    25,920,000 megs per 30 day month = 10MB/unmetered

It seems to me that you would want 10mb/sec unmetered if you were doing a steady amount of bandwidth, right?

Could somebody check my logic and see if there is an error?

How did you go from needing 5-10gbps of colo bandwidth to debating 2000gb/mo or 10mbit unmetered?

If your traffic is constant, a 10mbit port makes more sense.

If your traffic is spikey, 2000GB on a 100mbit port makes more sense.

Awknet - DDoS Mitigation, Upstream ACLs/Filtering, Unmanaged Dedicated Servers, BGP IP Transit & More!

Hello there!

It is all about the math. If the math says that getting 100 servers that are 10mbit/sec unmetered is 50x less expensive then getting a handful of servers on a 5-10gbps colo, then I'll go that route.

Basically I am exploring all the options. The end goal is that I need to initially be able to push about 1,000MBps constant stream, bursting to 5GBPS. My options are then to:

Get 100-500 10mbps dedicated servers
    Get 10-15 100mbps dedicated servers
    Get 1-1.5 1000mbps dedicated servers
    Get colo rack and dedicated bandwidth
    .. or some flavor of all of those.

I'm still not sure of what to do. Should I get 10 dedicated gigabit servers and pay $10,000/month? If the servers guarentee 100mbps each burst to 1gig, then that sounds like a pretty darn good idea.

BUT

I think what I really would like is something like this:

My Theoretical Best-Wish Dedicated Server Package:

(5) of...
    P4 3.0ghz - 2GB ram - 200GB HD
    100mbps guarenteed, burst to gigabit
    100mbps private internal network (to other servers)
    $3250/month total (for 5)

(5) of...
    Maybe that price is possible per box Not for all 5.

10 boxes with 100Mbit is better than 100 boxes with 10Mbit. It requires less maintenance, and you will be able to effectivly use more of the 1000Mbit. With 10Mbit boxes the range per server is very limited.

Quote Originally Posted by timgt
    (5) of...

How does that pricing make any sense in your head? That works out to ... $6.50/mbps, free hardware, free power, free DC space. Never going to happen.

Awknet - DDoS Mitigation, Upstream ACLs/Filtering, Unmanaged Dedicated Servers, BGP IP Transit & More!

Quote Originally Posted by jwr
    How does that pricing make any sense in your head? That works out to ... $6.50/mbps, free hardware, free power, free DC space. Never going to happen.
    Maybe he meant 5 machines sharing 100meg with burst to GbE? I could also be off base here, but just a thought.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

You need to hire someone to figure this all out for you. It isn't terribly difficult to figure out what works best once you know all your options.

With your budget, paying a few consulting fees would well be worth the money.
    SDCServers.com
    100mbps+ Bandwidth Solutions

well covered already above, but a few 'general tips'.

When talking in GB total per month - roughly speaking 1000 GB = about 3 Mbit average. So roughly speaking, 10 Mbit is roughly 3300 GB total per month.

The main differences are that on a 10 Mbit un-metered you

A) Can't burst briefly over 10 mbit (perhaps this is a deal breaker for you, if you have say 20 Mbit peaks for 2 hours every day, but the rest of the day its rather slow).

B) Can technicaly pass traffic bi-directionaly (and thus technicaly double your bandwidth from 3300 GB per month to 6600 GB when you factor upload vs download traffic if its perfectly 50/50 split). If you run a large file site that has LOTS of uploads, this is actualy a bonus in your favor, where as the straight 'GB TOTAL' per month is actualy going to hit you for traffic in both directions fully (depending on provider's policies)

C) With 10 Mbit un-metered there is NO suprise at the end of the month with an overage bill, you can't possibly go higher so you never have to worry.

And the advantage on the 2000 GB (or any total GB per month) is

A) can burst tyipcaly to 100 mbit as often as you like (some providers however put you on a 10 mbit port anyway! so be sure to ask if its a 10 or 100 mbit port, with your total GB transit per month)

B) typically an un-metered 10mbit will be over-sold/shared cogent (lower quality) bandwidth. With per GB pricing, many providers usualy put you on the 'premium' network connection. This varies heavily per provider, you have to ask.

Bottom line, it depends on what your traffic is - to justify one vs the other. Good luck
    TurnKey Internet, Inc : phone 1.518.618.0999 and 1.877.539.4638 | Contact Us
    Cloud Servers | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | VPS | Mail Services | Reseller hosting
    New York / East Coast Green Datacenter

Quote Originally Posted by timgt
    Hello,

I'm trying to figure which dedicated server is better as far as bandwidth goes: 2000GB/month or 10mbit/sec unmetered.

If I break it down to total megs per month, this is what I get:

2,000,000 megs per month = 2000GB/month
    25,920,000 megs per 30 day month = 10MB/unmetered

It seems to me that you would want 10mb/sec unmetered if you were doing a steady amount of bandwidth, right?

Could somebody check my logic and see if there is an error?
    Your fundamental error seems to be thinking Mbits/second are MBytes/second. The latter is 8 times as big, and you won't see networks sold that way.

10Mbit/second * 86,400 seconds/day * 30.3 days/month / 8 bits/byte = 3.27TB per month.

That's assuming perfect usage of your pipe, which you will never get.
    Specializing in MySQL and website tuning for high traffic sites. cmwsci.com/

Well if you need this much bandwidth best way to find out solution will be to contact few providers with different options.

Ask them for quotes and than decide what you would like to do.
    24Shells in Business Since 2003 - AS55081
    Dedicated Servers, Linux VPS Hosting, Windows VPS Hosting
    @24Shells - 24shells.net

Timgt,

A few months back you told us you could get a gig-e from TimeWarner for $1700/month

Why don't you get a few of those?

Put it this way, each megabit can transfer 316.xxgb per month, you can round that to 320gb per month if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by FR-Alex
    Put it this way, each megabit can transfer 316.xxgb per month, you can round that to 320gb per month if you like.
    Good luck with that. You rarely get full utilization.

Normally in order to get a full 320GB per month on 1 mbps is if you transfer 1 mbps consistently over a 30 day period. In this type of hosting it is very rare as any typical graph will show wave shape graphing due to busy days and dead nights.