Question Raq4i rom 2.9.34 upgrade to 2.10.1

I have several raq4i's. I am tring to upgrade the rom from 2.9.34 to a newer rom. Whenever I try to run the flashtool that I downloaded, it gives me a permission denied message, even though I'm in su mode. any help with this problem would be appreciated.

btw: I'm trying to upgrade the rom due to the fact that the kernel patches will not function on this box, and the roms are different on the other raq4i's that I have upgraded. I can't upgrade the rom with the OS Restore CD cause it believes it is at the right level currently.

This machine runs, however, is the only machine that I have that is not fully patched. any help is appreciated.

Check if the rom you have is an Intel or AMD rom.
    You will need different flashtools for each.

But if you are running the RaQ4 OS then why do you need to flash the rom? Stick with the old one. Unless you are going to install RaQ550 or BlueQuartz into it .
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

yes, I have the raq550 OS running on all of my raq's. I prefer it to the non-updated ones. the raq 4i software just wasn't very nice in my book. and I never said that I was running the raq 4 software, I just need to know the actual flash tool or the way to determine which rom it actuall is. I do know that the main difference between the 2 raq4i's that I have running correctly and this one is the rom version. So, how does one tell if it's the intel or the AMD rom version?

cmos -c romrev gives me the revision of the rom but only the revision number.

Well.... for that you have to open up the unit and look at the chip above the IDE cable.

I am currently upgrading my Cobalts so I got a case open and took a picture
    http://imagestore.galacnet.com/reg/i...-rom-check.jpg

Follow the arrow. It should say AMD or INTEL. You may need to remove a sticker covering it.
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Quote Originally Posted by galacnet
    Well.... for that you have to open up the unit and look at the chip above the IDE cable.

I am currently upgrading my Cobalts so I got a case open and took a picture
    http://imagestore.galacnet.com/reg/i...-rom-check.jpg

Follow the arrow. It should say AMD or INTEL. You may need to remove a sticker covering it.
    Also if you are connected to the console port with minicom/hyperterminal the first few lines output on bootup will detail the ROM info...

the chip is a M29f080A chip, not sure if that is an AMD or an INTEL.

ermm... There should be a AMD or INTEL written on the chip itself.
    Did you look at my pic?
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

yes - no amd or intel listed on the chip.... the entirety of the chip:
    mf29f080a
    90n1
    s880r
    There is also an ST and a Singapore on the chip.

Connect a Null Modem Cable and then press "S" it should stop at a select boot manual.

Look up and find a
    "Initializing flash: done"
    "Flash Bank 0: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

The XXXXXXXXXX should be the answer you are looking for.
    Mine is an AMD which says "AMD AM29F080B 1024KB (01:d5)
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

do I have to enable the serial port before I use the null modem cable to attach to the raq 4i?

Yes you have to. We don't usually disable the Serial or the LCD unless tight security is needed to the unit.

Also remember to plug into port 1 ( the one nearing to the CPU )
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

Quote Originally Posted by tekis
    yes - no amd or intel listed on the chip.... the entirety of the chip:
    mf29f080a
    90n1
    s880r
    There is also an ST and a Singapore on the chip.
    Looks like i is a "SGS Thompson" chip.
    Be careful flashing it. I think there is a flashtool that works on Intel, not sure about ST. Maybe James McGlaughlin at osoffice (Strongbolt) knows.

There are also some RaQs that have Mitsubisi ROMs, We alwas replace ROMs with AMD when rebuilding a server.

Gosh... how many types of roms are there..... I thought there were only 2...
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

I thought I had a null modem cable but it appears that it was not. So, I will get one today and check it out tonight. The box works fine, except that it won't take any of the kernel updates. I might have to just buy the rom chip and solder in the new one, but I'm really hoping it doesn't come down to that.

Quote Originally Posted by galacnet
    Gosh... how many types of roms are there..... I thought there were only 2...
    There are the following ROMs that we have found after processing several hundred RaQ3/4 servers.

AMD, Intel, Mitsubishi, SGS Thompson.

I'm having the same problem with flashtool when I try to flash through telnet: "bash: ./flashtool: Permission denied".

I'm running a Raq4 with Raq550 software. Trying to flash it with the cobalt-2.10.3-ext3-1M rom, in order to run Rackstar. The chip says AMD on it.

Any ideas anyone?

Uh, are you running as root? Have you ls -l flashtool and make sure it's executable?

Quote Originally Posted by gnetwerker
    Uh, are you running as root? Have you ls -l flashtool and make sure it's executable?
    This is what I'm doing in Telnet:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails telnet.gif  

Okay, I got it fixed. Something went wrong with the read/write permissions in the FTP transfer, so I had to set them again.

For the original topic starter: there is a special flashtool for the Intel chip, and one for the AMD and ST chips. After I got the permissions set, it worked flawlessly with the right flashtool.