Question subdomain.mooo.com using hosting on a different server

Long story short: I want to setup a website(forum) for my World of Warcraft guild. I already have a hosting account at Hostgator. I'd like to use my HostGator hosting account, but not use my HostGator hosting account's primary (sub)domainname.

Basically, I want to setup deathwingguild.mooo.com at freedns.afraid.org but use the hosting on HostGator. From what I've read on the forums at freedns.afraid.org, I setup deathwingguild.mooo.com twice as NS records -- using my HostGator nameservers. Then, I setup deathwingguild.mooo.com on my HostGator CPanel as a parked/addon domain.

But when I try to add deathwingguild.mooo.com as a parked domain or an addon domain on my HostGator CPanel, I get
    Code:
    Sorry, cannot determine nameserver IPs. Please make sure that the domain is registered with a valid domain registrar.
    I've contacted HostGator support, but they keep telling me that deathwingguild.mooo.com is not pointed to their servers. I've run checks at dnsstuff.com and dnsreport.com, and it seems that deathwingguild.mooo.com is pointed to HG servers. I've been going back and forth with HG support the last couple of days because they keep getting hung up on the fact that mooo.com is not pointing to their servers -- which is expected since I'm only trying to point deathwingguild.mooo.com to them.

Is what I'm trying to do "subdomain hosted on a different server" even possible? If so, what does HostGator support need to do next -- in technical terms that I can relay to HostGator support?

Thanks.
    p.s. I'd rather not get another domainname for my guild which may or may not be around in 3-6 months -- which was the case with a previous guild. Part of why I'm investigating the freedns.afraid.org option -- if it is an option.

To clarify, I do not own nor control mooo.com; mooo.com (amongst other domainnames) simply allows others to attach/manage subdomains to it via freedns.afraid.org.

I couldnt understand what exactly you mean. If you donot own mooo.com, then how did you setup "setup deathwingguild.mooo.com twice as NS records -- using HostGator nameservers."???

Hats off to the HostGator support staff -- especially HG support staff member RS! They finally setup things on their end. They were very patient with a noob like me.

Part of the problem, I think, is that I asked them to try to setup the subdomain too early; DNS had not fully propagated which led to the initial confusion. The other part was probably due to the fact that I might have been not specific/technical enough in what I wanted them to do.

Lesson learned: wait 24-48 hours before asking to have a delegated subdomain setup so that DNS can fully propagate.

Quote Originally Posted by hostingmaniac
    I couldnt understand what exactly you mean. If you donot own mooo.com, then how did you setup "setup deathwingguild.mooo.com twice as NS records -- using HostGator nameservers."???
    freedns.afraid.org (sry can't link yet; forum account too new) offers
    • Free DNS, Dynamic DNS, Static DNS services
    • Free subdomain hosting, free domain hosting, free backup dns, reverse IPv6 DNS hosting (forward/reverse)
    • Robust support for CNAME, A, AAAA, MX, NS, TXT, LOC, RP, HINFO, SRV records
    Basically, I signed up for an account at freedns.afraid.org, clicked on the "Subdomains" link on the menu on the left, created 2 NS records to point to the HG nameservers (see screenshot img177.imageshack.us/img177/8636/nsfo8.gif ) ... wait 24-48 hours for DNS to propagate ... HG support then setup the subdomain since I am only on a shared account. Resellers would be able to perform this setup without HG support intervention.

afraid.org is a great resource. It's nice to know that you got this resolved. Thanks for following up with an update -- or else I'd have asked.

But why not just buy your own domain?
    I'm female.

Quote Originally Posted by tamar
    afraid.org is a great resource. It's nice to know that you got this resolved. Thanks for following up with an update -- or else I'd have asked.

But why not just buy your own domain?
    I wanted to explore the freedns.afraid.org option because I didn't feel like putting down another $6-$8/year for another domainname for another guild which might not be around in 3-6months.

In the last 2 years, I've setup/transferred websites/domains for 6 different guilds -- due to mergers, dissolution, reforming etc. It seems like there's been a lot of turnover in WoW lately, but YMMV.

Ah, more of a WoW specific issue.... well, that makes sense.

Glad it's working!
    I'm female.