Need advice for massive video streaming website

Hello,

I will be building a website network soon to host some massive video feeds. I've posted a few posts about bandwidth and dedicated servers, but I figure I'll just toss up the goal and see what you guys have to say about it.

Goal:

I need to be able to push out approx. 50,000 concurrent video streaming sessions, each session pushing approx. 300 kbit/sec of data.

Solution:

What can you guys recommend I do for the solution? Put in any ideas you have with regards to dedicated servers, big bandwidth pipes, etc. I have some ideas of my own but I also strongly value a lot of the opinions on this forum.

Thanks

what media type? Windows media? Mpg? etc

Where are you streaming to? Localized? World wide?

All one stream, or several differant streams?
    Rock solid hosting and dedicated servers since 1998!
    StabilityHosting Where stability and uptime are king!

Stream it out of 3 locations: west coast, east coast, central.
    Use directional dns / ip geolcation, etc to get the end-user to the closest streaming server.
    Assuming that this is for live streaming -- go with windows media on w2k3 enterprise.
    _IF_ you have a very stable source encoder you can safely do 2 gbps per server, by bonding four GigE nics. Dont need much of a server -- 3 ghz cpu with 8 gb of ram, 1U.
    Pipes -- get a couple of 10 gige uplinks and bgp between them, and switch down to copper gigE for your servers.

Prepare for BIG bandwidth bills

It all depends on the type of content you have and the type of streaming that you want to do.

There are a variety of cost effective ways to deliver content - but we do need a bit more information about how the content is served.
    Regards,
    Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

Get some big fat pipes.