Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bought a site but the owner doesn't actually own it...

Hi guys I got kinda ripped off. I bought a site for $500 and it turns out that the guy I bought it from doesn't actually own the domain (although he runs the site). His partner that I had no idea about owns the domain. I talked to his partner and he didn't know the site was sold. So basically this guy tried to rip off his partner and ripped me off. Now this guy is a Verified Non-Us paypal member.

After his partner talked to him he agreed to send the money back minus $50. So he wants a $50 fee for ripping us off.

Now my question is should I try getting all the money through paypal disputes or should I cut my losses and take the deal? Has anyone ever dealt with paypal disputes? Can they work in your favor?

Thanks

Did you pay with an existing PayPal balance or did you pay with a credit card?

paypal balance or bank transfer, but not credit card

Was that sale here at WHT?

no it was at namepros.com

I'd "take the deal" and then open a dispute for the balance. (AFTER I received the $450)
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

So open a dispute for $50?

it is possible that there is no partner, maybe just one guy playing, and the partner story is an excuse

Yeah that very well could be.

Maybe he got a better offer and wanted a way to back out of your deal.

either way I'd do what SWR suggested.

did you pay for the website? or pay for the website AND domain name? big difference. ive always had good luck at namepros.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Even better, agree to the $450 deal and let him send you the payment. Then file a dispute for the entire amount of $500 and if you win he will be losing an other 500 out of his paypal, paypal won't realize he's already refunded you.

I'd be careful not to use the additional 450 because he'll probably file a dispute but it will teach him a lesson.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

j-p im surprised at your suggestion!

that is not right nor ethical!

Well it goes to show you how little consideration there is for honesty.

Even better, agree to the $450 deal and let him send you the payment. Then file a dispute for the entire amount of $500 and if you win he will be losing an other 500 out of his paypal, paypal won't realize he's already refunded you.
    Yeah, but he will and he'll provide PayPal with the transaction number and get it back. That's a great way to prolong everything.

Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    Well it goes to show you how little consideration there is for honesty.
    I did not ask him to steal but to do the same thing to the other guy so that next time he'll think twice before asking for a $50 fee for ripping people off. If sllik does it, he should keep all of the $450 in the account and give it back to the guy after a dispute has been opened.

Quote Originally Posted by nocebo
    Yeah, but he will and he'll provide PayPal with the transaction number and get it back. That's a great way to prolong everything.
    Bingo! prolong it for the scammer not the buyer, either way he'll have the 450 sitting in his account available.
    Last edited by GoTek-JP; 09-18-2006 at 01:11 PM.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

I thought PayPal only accepted disputes over tangible shipped items. Not ebooks, downloadable software or domain names.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Stephens
    j-p im surprised at your suggestion!

that is not right nor ethical!
    Meh, play with fire and expect to be burnt

I'd do the dispute, just because the $50 is your money, not his.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...-buyer-outside

Buyer Complaint Process Requirements

In order for a transaction to be eligible for Buyer Complaint Process review:

* You must have used PayPal to pay for your purchase.
    * You must not have received the item that you purchased.
    * You must file a claim within 45 days of payment.
    * Your purchase must be a tangible item. Services and intangible items, such as emailed recipes and e-books, are not covered.

Beat me too it. All he has to say to the dispute process is that it is an intangible good and he will lose it. Accept the $450 and then try a dispute and see what happens. Maybe he doesn't know about that. PayPal won't pick up on it, just leave out the .com.

~Fred

after the $450 refund, offer an "out of public domain" settlement that will stop you from naming and shaming him if he pays $100. Then you make $50 and he becomes a better person. Everyone is a winner and depending on how you word it, you will not get accused of blackmail :-D

I can resist everything but temptation - Oscar Wilde
    He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man - Dr. Johnson

what is the big deal here? he bought a website. he paid for it and he got it.

Quote Originally Posted by J-P

I'd be careful not to use the additional 450 because he'll probably file a dispute but it will teach him a lesson.
    but what if the guy story was right ? then ur suggesting he steals off an honest guy who really was ripped off by his partner.
    If the story was not right , and that guy was really a ripper , i do still doubt its the case , because he is not trying to rip the whole 500$ instead he is repaying the ammount minus paypal fees.
    That looks kind of logic to me , yet , if he still opened a dispute after that only to regain his 500$ , and then the other guy will be able (or try) to return his 450$ , the whole situation will look suspecious to paypal verify department and it will be more like a gamble for him !
    Shortly i say , take the deal , 50$ is a cheap amount to learn a lesson !
    POINTLeb Hosting Lebanese Hosting for the Middle East
    The fact that no one understands you , does not make you an artist
    Mo Ghaoui's Personal Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Stephens
    what is the big deal here? he bought a website. he paid for it and he got it.
    Yea she speaks sence.

Having said that, it could cause a lot of hassle.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man - Dr. Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Lebanon
    but what if the guy story was right ? then ur suggesting he steals off an honest guy who really was ripped off by his partner.
    If the story was not right , and that guy was really a ripper , i do still doubt its the case , because he is not trying to rip the whole 500$ instead he is repaying the ammount minus paypal fees.
    That looks kind of logic to me , yet , if he still opened a dispute after that only to regain his 500$ , and then the other guy will be able (or try) to return his 450$ , the whole situation will look suspecious to paypal verify department and it will be more like a gamble for him !
    Shortly i say , take the deal , 50$ is a cheap amount to learn a lesson !
    And what lesson has he learnt?

well as a start , verifyin the owner ship of the seller ...
    second going thru an escrow service to buy domains over 500$
    And lastly ( i dont know if he ever mentioned ) but if he already got the domain owner ship after he paid then he can simply just refuse to give it back, If he didnt then thats the first lesson that he should have done it thu escrow service to guarantee he keeps the domain for his money.
    Well sorry if am not pathetic i did a worst mistake in the past and lost 3000$ for such a mistake and i dont regret it , thats just money lost and i learned from it , it was my fault because i was unaware of how such things go back then, and yes i still say 50$ are nothing much for a called loss !
    POINTLeb Hosting Lebanese Hosting for the Middle East
    The fact that no one understands you , does not make you an artist
    Mo Ghaoui's Personal Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast