Question New series of Spooks started tonight, anyone here watch it?

Evening WHTers,

What did you make of the season opener?

Did you also watch the second part on BBC 3? [I'm afraid i had to ]

I don't personally watch many TV series' but Spooks is one that i would without doubt set aside an hour or two for, it's top quality all round as far as i'm concerned, been waiting for it to return and it didn't disappoint.

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

me and my gf watched it, and the second part - we've waited too long to not watch both halves!

enjoyed it, although it looks as though they might be killing someone else off next week... thought it might be the case as they have a new (non-techie) person, which means she'll probably replace someone...

Yeah, great show. I sometimes catch it on the ABC. Good Pommie drama.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

I was having dinner with friends, so I missed it. If I had known it was starting last night, I would have recorded it, but the only advert I saw for it said "Coming Soon", rather than giving an exact date.

Does anybody know where I'll be able to find a repeat of last nights show? The BBC must be showing a repeat, surely.
    - Jamie Harrop

check bbc3, it might be on there

alternatively i guess you've got bittorrent or the catchup clip on the website...

I just checked BBC3 for today, but there's just the 3rd episode at 10:30.

The catchup clip could work. Thanks Slidey.
    - Jamie Harrop

never heard of it

thanks.
    for.
    that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/spooks

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie
    I just checked BBC3 for today, but there's just the 3rd episode at 10:30.

The catchup clip could work. Thanks Slidey.
    third ep tonight??? thought it was just the second one again!

lets hope the pager doesnt go off while its on, as things wont get fixed til its finished!

The second episode is on BBC1 at 9pm, and then there is another episode on BBC3 at 10:30pm, which I assume is the 3rd episode.
    - Jamie Harrop

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    never heard of it
    It's called MI-5 in the USA. Might be the same for you guys.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Slidey
    third ep tonight??? thought it was just the second one again!

lets hope the pager doesnt go off while its on, as things wont get fixed til its finished!
    I'm considering watching it, i mean i want to but if i do, that's a quarter of the entire season done in 2 days. Now that said, i'll probably be in front of the TV at half ten tonight.

Autumn's a grat time of year for television IMO, most of the series i watch return, shame "Rome" won't be back for a while yet though.

In the States it's aired on BBC America i think, although for once they're having to play the waiting game.

Spooks is more often than not quite thought provoking, it's realistic, and it shocks you. Not any series could lose leading characters like Tom, Zoe and Danny in earlier seasons and still maintain the level of quality now.
    Last edited by Critic; 09-18-2006 at 10:06 AM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    It's called MI-5 in the USA. Might be the same for you guys.

They changed the name?!
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

damn..they dont have it in canada..it looks good too

we're on series 5 now - my gf and i have watched every series and loved it

highly recommended!

Wow! Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow! What else is there to say? Gripping, thought provoking, and action packed. Spooks just seems to get better and better.

I've decided to wait until next week to watch the third episode. Let the fun run longer and all that.
    - Jamie Harrop

its started now, and its recording on sky+

gf cant watch it as she has to get up early - im sorely tempted!

oh i watched it ive always watched spooks it was amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Critic
    I'm considering watching it, i mean i want to but if i do, that's a quarter of the entire season done in 2 days. Now that said, i'll probably be in front of the TV at half ten tonight.

Autumn's a grat time of year for television IMO, most of the series i watch return, shame "Rome" won't be back for a while yet though.

In the States it's aired on BBC America i think, although for once they're having to play the waiting game.

Spooks is more often than not quite thought provoking, it's realistic, and it shocks you. Not any series could lose leading characters like Tom, Zoe and Danny in earlier seasons and still maintain the level of quality now.
    I LOVE Spooks. First discovered it here in the States when they showed the first 2 series as 1 season, rebadged as MI-5 (Spook is a racial slur, and that's why A&E changed it to MI-5; but I don't see how they could of thought anyone would have confused it considering the theme of the show).

FYI, BBC America does not show Spooks, nor have they ever. A&E holds the US distribution rights; although they're doing a pisspoor job of it. Last Friday they premiered Series 4 (Series 3 on A&E because they combined Series 1&2). Yes, you read it right, Series 4. Exactly a year behind. http://www.aetv.com/MI5/index.jsp

Thanks to torrent sites, I was able to download Series 4 last year as it premiered in the UK, and I'm doing the same with Series 5.

That said, what an amazing way to open the series. I loved it; a lot that I've read people have been overly critical, but I found little flaws with it, and not enough to disrupt my viewing experience. Loved that there were more location shooting, and loved Zaf's fight scene -- we just learned why Zaf is a field agent; he can fight, and he can fight well. The loss of Colin is saddening, and totally unexpected, but that is Spooks for you. Not sure about Ros; don't really like her, but we will see. Adam looks troubled, but as usual, stays the course.

I'm glad some fellow WHTers are fans .

Is Spooks just 24 but without Jack Bauer, the "time limit" and it's British?

Might give it a go but without Jack Bauer... the show cannot be that entertaining.
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Kemik
    Is Spooks just 24 but without Jack Bauer, the "time limit" and it's British?

Might give it a go but without Jack Bauer... the show cannot be that entertaining.
    That's quite an ignorant statement. That said...

I am fan and watch both Spooks and 24. The only similarities between the shows are that they deal with terrorism. But the way they respond and deal with those situations varies.

Each episode of Spooks has a different terrorist threat (sometimes al-Queda, sometimes homegrown terrorists, etc.), while 24 focuses on usually one main terrorist threat.

24 is about the action; Spooks is more about the thinking of the agents, the agents' lives, etc. They've written off and killed main characters, etc.

The show is very entertaining, and on some levels, beats 24. Do yourself a favor, and rent Series 1-3, Series 4 in the US is on A&E Friday nights at 11pm, check them out.

IMO, if I had to choose between Spooks and 24, I'd pick Spooks. 24 is great, but Spooks has less eye-candy and focuses more on content rather than explosion. That is not to say its a boring show; far from it. It does have its action moments, but the show is not defined by it, unlike 24.

There is no "time-limit"; that is a 24 use, and in fact focuses very little on timing, as we never really know what time of year, etc. 10 episodes in each series as opposed to 24 for 24. Each episode, on DVD, is about 59 minutes. They're almost like mini-movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Velostream
    That's quite an ignorant statement. That said...

I am fan and watch both Spooks and 24. The only similarities between the shows are that they deal with terrorism. But the way they respond and deal with those situations varies.

Each episode of Spooks has a different terrorist threat (sometimes al-Queda, sometimes homegrown terrorists, etc.), while 24 focuses on usually one main terrorist threat.

24 is about the action; Spooks is more about the thinking of the agents, the agents' lives, etc. They've written off and killed main characters, etc.

The show is very entertaining, and on some levels, beats 24. Do yourself a favor, and rent Series 1-3, Series 4 in the US is on A&E Friday nights at 11pm, check them out.

IMO, if I had to choose between Spooks and 24, I'd pick Spooks. 24 is great, but Spooks has less eye-candy and focuses more on content rather than explosion. That is not to say its a boring show; far from it. It does have its action moments, but the show is not defined by it, unlike 24.

There is no "time-limit"; that is a 24 use, and in fact focuses very little on timing, as we never really know what time of year, etc. 10 episodes in each series as opposed to 24 for 24. Each episode, on DVD, is about 59 minutes. They're almost like mini-movies.
    I think your reply was ignorant. He simply asked a question.

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    I think your reply was ignorant. He simply asked a question.
    Consider the definition of ignorant:

Quote Originally Posted by http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ignorant
    1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
    2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
    3. uninformed; unaware.
    4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.
    How was my reply lacking in uninformed? How was my reply any of the 4 meanings? His post was. This quote shows is lack of knowledge on the subject, but his resileince because it doesn't have Jack Bauer is what prompted me to call it ignorant (because it is):

Quote Originally Posted by Kemik
    Tell me, adam, did I or did I not answer his question?