Hybrid View

Gigabit unmtered dedicated servers?

Hello,

Could you please point me to where I can find some good gigabit unmetered dedicated servers?

Thanks

Why start multiple threads?
    Webby Enterprises LLC - AS63031
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Sunny Central Florida
    In the business since 1997!
    http://www.webbytech.net

FDCServers.net has them for as low as $999/month

They are the only ones i know of. Keep in mind that none of these are Dedicated Lines. You have a Gigabit port on a switch that has a couple gig uplink and is shared with several servers im sure. Again, Im not sure how they share it but I can almost guarantee its not 1:1 ratio (1 server per 1gbps line) and you will end up with low end bandwidth (Cogent) in almost every case.
    Webby Enterprises LLC - AS63031
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Sunny Central Florida
    In the business since 1997!
    http://www.webbytech.net

Quote Originally Posted by webtech
    Just a note from the TOS for FDCServers:

1Gbit unmetered service plan

Each server is connected via private (non-shared) 1Gbit port to our 20Gbit backbone which is shared by all servers that have subscribed to unmetered service plan. The bandwidth is NOT dedicated.
    Servers on 1Gbit unmetered plan can expect average 30TB/monthly throughput on outbound transfer (from the server to the internet) and up to 300TB/monthly throughput on inbound transfer (from the internet to the server)
    30TB/month is about 100Mbps (if my math is correct), but you probably will get higher throughput off-peak and much less throughput during the day.

For dedicated bandwidth:

Dedicated / non-oversubscribed bandwidth is available at $12/Mbit with minimum 30Mbit commitment
    Kevin, The Walrus

Quote Originally Posted by webtech

They are the only ones i know of. Keep in mind that none of these are Dedicated Lines. You have a Gigabit port on a switch that has a couple gig uplink and is shared with several servers im sure. Again, Im not sure how they share it but I can almost guarantee its not 1:1 ratio (1 server per 1gbps line) and you will end up with low end bandwidth (Cogent) in almost every case.
    You bring up a good point - Cogent. Is Cogent bandwidth bad? Could somebody explain why Cogent bandwidth is considered not good quality?

Thx

http://www.pixelfxsolution.com or http://alphared.com (http://orangefiber.com - they're the same company) are both good.

Pixelfx is a FDC reseller.

Quote Originally Posted by timgt
    Hello,
    Could you please point me to where I can find some good gigabit unmetered dedicated servers?
    Thanks
    Are you looking for a dedicated port or a shared port ? And what kind of bw do you want ? Please give us some more info !
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

It had a shaky reputation back in the day but has improved such that it is definately a viable contender with other providers. There will be those here who say its bad and those who will defend it.

Gigabit is highly expensive ESPECIALLY if you want good bandwidth . stick to 10mbps then work from there.

Well, I'm still confused what good bandwidth is VS normal bandwidth.

I expect a gigabit server to be pushing as fasta s its HDs can offer. It mostly will be streaming video, so I would guess maybe 300mb/sec per server?

I think I might write another thread on suggestions for building a streaming video farm.

There are a number of factors. First, good bandwidth wont pause, or stutter during transmission of data. Applicatoins like streaming audio/video and voip can be very noticable if they 'pause' - which is what happens more often with low quality bandwidth.

Second, even if you buy good bandwidth - its almost certainly not dedicated so at peak times you wont necessarily get the best possible speed unless you are buying dedicated. I.e. you may see pauses, or stuttering even on quality bandwidth if your provider is a bit shady about 'claiming dedicated' but its really not. So be sure to get it in writing.

Third, for video streaming if you want TV quality broadcast (not high def but tv airwaves quality) - plan on about 1mbit per 'user'. Most video streams do less (by making the picture quality a bit less and/or smaller resolution) - usualy around 1/4 to 1/2 a mbit. Some systems will push as high as 2 to 3 mbit per stream for ultra high definition.

So assuming roughly 1mbit per user to stream, plan on about 100 users online at once viewing a video at the same second, for a 100mbit line. Your server it self probably wont handle '1000' at once anyway, so a gigabit line is probably overkill to start.

My suggestion is stick to a 10mbit un-metered (yes meaning its shared and over-sold) and see how it goes, then budget up/down as needed to 100mbit, gigabit, dedicated, etc. Too many moving targets here already - you may find with your particular video buffering technology that cogent or othre low quality over-sold bandwidth can actualy stream the video just fine (which is what some of the big video streaming places do is use bigger buffers, and lower quality backbones/providers to save a few bucks)
    Colohouse | P: 877-539-4638 | E: hello@colohouse.com
    Dedicated Servers | Cloud VPS | Colocation | Web Hosting | Public & Private Cloud | IaaS & DRaaS
    Data Centers: New York | Chicago | Miami | Colorado | California | Amsterdam

Thank you for the detailed information Turnkey et. all!

I think I will be refining my requirements a little bit since I have just learned quite a bit more.

I expect a gigabit server to be pushing as fasta s its HDs can offer. It mostly will be streaming video, so I would guess maybe 300mb/sec per server?

Are you doing download of video clips, or live streaming?
    A simple server with a 3 ghz cpu and 4 gb ram will easily do 800 mbps of live streaming.
    You need a good server, with raid, lots of ram, etc to do 800 mbps of video download.

grrrrrrrrrrr...