View Poll Results: Does WHT need a Hall Of Shame Forum?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 54.17%
  • No

11 45.83%

Lightbulb Hall Of Shamers Poll Please

I know this has been discussed a million times but IT IS badly needed! Lets try a simple yes/no poll to just see what the average vote will be.

I just dont see any difference in having bad experience threads all throughout the forum. They are here and they exist BUT the way it stands now innocent people have to DIG for them and sometimes those searches will reveal a ton of pages to have to sift through.

Common sense rules here. Im not talking one complaint but SERIOUS complaints that we see over and over with NO resolve to the consumer. It has to stop and I think this is at least a start.

I think it would be much easier to even have ONE FORUM for this. Instead of having to sift through so manyyyy search results people could at least check the Hall Of Shame forum.

Lets make it abit EASIER for the innocent consumer and abit HARDER for the shamer!
    Comments welcome with your vote
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

But this always leads back to the question: Who decides when a host or person gets in the Hall of Shame, and who decides when they leave it?

Alex

It's a pretty weak argument against creating a hall of shame that keeps getting trotted out whenever we have this discussion.

Simple Solution:

We make a rule along the lines of:

If there are 5 or more threads about an individual who has scammed the WHT member base they get added to the hall of shame. There is no need to to remove the threads - leave them there! If the issues are resolved a note can be added at the end of the threads.

It makes researching on scammers a lot easier and anyone can execute the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    But this always leads back to the question: Who decides when a host or person gets in the Hall of Shame, and who decides when they leave it?

Alex
    Well my preference would be 5 SERIOUS complaints and they could probably even up that number if they chose to. You can ask yourself the same question about general forums. We have major complaints that go back yearssssss in all the forums. As far as I know they are archived just like any normal post and those do not "leave"

But then the hall of shame may be used as a way for a person to get back at another person by posting a fake scam thread. Also it may incur liability for INET becuase certain hosts may end up in the Hall of Shame who really don't deserve it.

Alex

But WHT isn't a host rating site. It's simply a community where discussions take place. WHT itself is not a judge. It's members hold discussions and debate the merits of hosting providers. If someone is interested in this information, they should do some searching, read up on differing points of view, etc.

Creating a Hall of Shame promotes laziness on the part of members and guests, obscures good discussion that should be read, and expresses a WHT "company" bias. The only time WHT expresses something of this nature is when the site itself is used to scam, or when representatives of a company misbehave, and in this case, they are shunned for abusing WHT, not for being shady companies.

Keep the two separate, and don't do people's homework for them.

Now, one forum for all hosting reviews? Yay! I'm a fan! But not a Hall of Shame.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by Martie
    Well my preference would be 5 SERIOUS complaints and they could probably even up that number if they chose to.
    Two problems here- define "serious". Anyone can describe their complaint as serious whether or not the rest of think it is. Secondly, why are 5 complaints about a host with only a few dozen customers considered the same as 5 complaints about a host with tens of thousands of customers?

Quote Originally Posted by brendandonhu
    Two problems here- define "serious". Anyone can describe their complaint as serious whether or not the rest of think it is. Secondly, why are 5 complaints about a host with only a few dozen customers considered the same as 5 complaints about a host with tens of thousands of customers?
    I believe we are talking about scammers like TimPD

Same question applies...who decides what is and isn't a "serious" complaint?

Quote Originally Posted by brendandonhu
    Same question applies...who decides what is and isn't a "serious" complaint?

<sigh> Im afraid some members arent understanding what I mean by "serious"
    Do a search for angelnetworkz or crediblehost and see what feedback comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    Keep the two separate, and don't do people's homework for them.

Now, one forum for all hosting reviews? Yay! I'm a fan! But not a Hall of Shame.

Well that has also been discussed a million times. Im also for a REVIEWS category and you could have 2 sub-forums (praise, complain) but that also never has gotten anywhere. Yes, that would be simpler solution. If something like that was implemented I think it would prove valuable. At least a newcomer looking for reviews could SEE the review category and go from there.

Im not in favor of doing peoples homework the_pm but I am IN favor of helping out newer people to the community. People posting "use the search tool" has gotten redundant and now when one uses the search for a particular co. there are countless pages that come up. Its one thing (back in the day) where you could sort threads over about 5 pages...nowdays there is 30+ pages at times to sift through. and its more overwhelming than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie
    <sigh> Im afraid some members arent understanding what I mean by "serious"
    Sigh, that's entirely the point. What you consider "serious" is your own personal opinion without any definition behind it.