Lost XP control panel...

Someone (not me luckily) has 'lost' their control panel on their computer. They are using XP. Although I do not myself use XP and not too familiar with it I suggested various solutions including checking recycle bin. Nada. They also used their Norton Unerase Wizard. Nada...

Anyone have any ideas how this happened and better yet how to create a new control panel with features.

Again this is for the XP os on a desktop.

thanx,
    you can reply here, ICQ me at 154851208 or MSN webh777 or send an email to info@trickdesigns.ca

Have they tried the system restore feature built into XP? (hopefully it's enabled -- I'm pretty sure it is by default)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...ng/restore.asp

Will find out...

Originally posted by JG
    Have they tried the system restore feature built into XP? (hopefully it's enabled -- I'm pretty sure it is by default)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...ng/restore.asp
    As I said I don't use XP so wasn't aware of that. I will suggest it.

thanx,

sounds like they're using TweakUI. The following should be applicable for XP as well:

"There is 1 setting which will give you some trouble if you use it. On the IE tab, you will see Show Control Panel on Start Menu Settings. Once you deselect it's check box, you have no access to the Control Panel at all, which means you have no access to TweakUI. Which means you can't reverse the process!

To get back in your Control Panel, follow these steps:

Select Start > Search and search for Tweakui.cpl on your drive
    When found double-click to open TweakUI, and reverse the setting that hides the Control Panel
    Or:

Start the Registry Editor
    Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer
    Delete the entry NoControlPanel from the right-hand pane
    Exit RegEdit and restart Windows
    Note: The Show Control Panel on Start Menu Settings only appears when you use TweakUI in Windows Me or Windows 2000. "

<insert usual warning about tinkering with your registry>

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.