Recommand a VPS please

Hi Guys,
    Currenly I am hosting on bluehost with a invison powerboard and have 18.000 members.. daily their is about 1200 users visiting my site and atleast 50 - 60 online all the time...
    My site goes down all the time and bluehost is saying that my mysql queries are slow.. takes ( 2 - 3 seconds) and sooner or later they will ban me if i dont correct the errors ... the problem is all the scripts are made by Invision Power board..

now my question is, can anyone recommend a cheap VPS which will make my site run smooth..
    I use arround 60 - 70 GB data transfer monthly and space i dont need more than 1 - 2 GB ..
    Mysql is needed..

now my question is.. will a 2mbit dedicated line make my site run smooth ? how much ram should i minimum have inorder to make the site run smooth ..
    what is most important ram or cpu ? or bandwidth speed ?

Please advice
    Regards
    Logitech

Bandwidth speed is less important, but you should take metered BW with open port as you do not need to much BW (you will find some great offers with 200 GB monthly traffic and 100 mbps port)
    You need both ram and cpu.
    I have forum with almost same spec.
    You need VPS with 256 MB ram, but it must be well optimized for your needs (there are some great how-to guides about optimizing mysql and apache)
    Install eaccelerator, and turn off all options that you do not need (which takes your cpu and ram) like mailman, statistic, spamassassin ...

Hi, thanks for prompt reply.
    i have a 1mbit upload speed at home, do u think its a good idea to run at home instead ? will it run smoot with 1mbit speed upload ?

Get a VPS with no control panel and install apache/php/mysql and optimize apache/mysql and you should be good.
    Jumpto Media | Your Technology Experts!
    ■ Experts in setting up, configuring, securing, and managing Linux & Windows servers.
    ■ Experts with almost all control panels, scripts, apps, and softwares.
    ■ Experts Guaranteed Work.

I would suggest a 256-512MB VPS. You can install the packages you need (mysql, apache, php) via apt-get or yum and tweak them for performance. Shouldn't be too difficult if you know your way around the command line.
    Slicehost - Xen VPS hosting
    Community - Forums, wiki, chat and technical articles

You can do a search on this mboard for VPS providers, there's a few decent ones out there.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

I went thru several vps, and the one I found that was a good price that included managed support with some of the plans is solarvps.com

Also I would suggest you consider changing to vbulletin since it is so very good I have several forums and vbulletin never lets me down.

Otis
    Reseller & Hosting Services

Well from your needs i see u need something that can handle load instead of that can handle bw and space requirements.

Personally i would recommend steadfast networks vps even though i was only on 192 mb ram vps i had over 15 sites running with no problem. Their hardware and network is good.

Cheers
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

I would go with dedicated if I have lots of mysql connection, as I will get a better IO throughput

Quote Originally Posted by logitech33
    Hi, thanks for prompt reply.
    i have a 1mbit upload speed at home, do u think its a good idea to run at home instead ? will it run smoot with 1mbit speed upload ?
    You can try
    Your upload speed is OK, but for running web server at your home you will need some more 'things'
    do you have permanent IP address?
    Do you have UPS
    do you have Climate control?
    Do you have separated computer for web server only purpose?

i have just my pc with 1.5 gb ram, its a 2.68 ghz machine for webserver purpose,
    I dont think i need climate control .. ups also not need..
    static ip i can get without any problem
    so u think 1mbit upload speed can handle this 60 - 70 users online all the time ?

Quote Originally Posted by logitech33
    so u think 1mbit upload speed can handle this 60 - 70 users online all the time ?
    Yes, if you have normal forum like this one (discussion only - without images, mp3 or videos,)

I would suggest using SMF as the forum software, it is much faster and lighter than IPB, yet provides all features you'll need.

If you'll serve from home, I first suggest you to get a power supply in case of a power outage at home.