Thoughts and opinions on starting up

I'm looking at starting up a hosting company/business (www, ftp, dns, database) in Melborne, Australia. I have system administration skills/experience. I'm just trying to weigh up the best option for hosting: VPS, co-lo or dedicated.

I'm more or less interested in your thoughts/experiences on which option. From plans that I've looked at, dedicated seems to offer hardware replacement, yet no RAID or backups (depends). Co-lo being cheaper will allow you to have RAID, yet the hardware replacement and backups are your responsibility. I have an operating system requirement which will more or less determine my choice.

One should do a test start with reseller account then move to VPS and co-lo or dedicated. Also do not forget to spend at least 50 hrs reading stuff on this forum
    Good Luck!
    True 24x7 Tech. Support | Better Infrastructure, Skilled People, Reliable Support, Maximum Transparency
    U&D Square Solutions Pvt. Ltd | www.udsquare.com| ISO 9001 & ISO 27001 Certified Company
    Tech Support | Consulting | Outsourcing | | 150 team members and growing

Dedicated Support | Shared Support | Helpdesk |Live Chat | Server Management | Server Monitoring

I don't know about in Melborne, but Co-lo is very expencive vs. dedi here in the UK. It only really becomes an option when you need very high-end hardware that you save on whith the intial investment.

I'd do dedicated, you don't have to drive out the the DC at 4am and replace the disks when they die, and it is when. Hardware will fail, and it will most likly be at the worced time.

Also, again I duno if its just in .AU, but most dedi providers will do raid if you pay them to install it, might be worth asking for some qoutes.

Sytem admin skills is only a part of what you need. Its far more important to be knowledgable in business. If you don't have the business skill, you'd be better off working for someone else - because you'll make a lot more money that way.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Be sure you have all the required assets like a professional looking website, phone support, staff for accounting, sales and support. A good backend like ClientExec or Ubersmith is much needed too.

Webhosting cannot last long as a one man business if you start doing well.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

You don't need phone support and you don't need a whole staff for accounting, if you're just starting out.

What you need more than software, admin skills, servers, etc. is market research a business plan/guideline and a long-term projection.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

... Which most people have a hard time coming up with ;-)
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

I would agree with tina, read some books on how to operate a business. Don't forget about support... from creating new accounts to aswering questions.

How do you keep the sites up and customers questions answered within 4 hours or less.... that is what customers care about.... but the flipside, as tina pointed out, is that you need to make a profit.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    What you need more than software, admin skills, servers, etc. is market research a business plan/guideline and a long-term projection.
    I agree except on admin skills, you don't have to have them, more important is ability to learn quickily and spend a lot of time on your business if you want it to be big! Admin skills can help but also hurt, I think marketing and good people skills is more important, you can hire people to admin your servers, you can't hire people to be excited about what you are doing or to put 100 hours a week in on your buiness.

You really need a good business plan and marketing is something you need to read a lot about esp since you are going to want clients for as cheap as possible until you get some recurring money coming in.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company