Chances of Getting Dedicated Server Discount

I'm interested in getting a dedicated server for my website, pcfastlane.com. However, I can't afford the price of a managed server and don't have the time to manage my own server.

The website has around 580 unique visitors per day. Do you think I could find a hosting provider that would manage my server for free (I would pay for the server) in return for a "Hosted by XXXX" link on all 17,000+ pages of my website?

What number of visitors do server providers expect before they sponsor websites? I know most hosts don't do sponsorships, but I know some do.

EDIT- I am interested in a budget box. A Sempron, Athlon XP, or a Celeron will do just fine.
    Last edited by Wunderstock; 09-16-2006 at 10:42 PM.

Sleepy, you would need to be more specific about the type of server you are seeking and the limited budget you currently are on (if any at all). i'm sure there are providers who'd be interested in helping you out but it depends on your requirements which need to be stated more clearly.

580 unique vistors per day

You just need a virtual hosting

I updated my thread. Thanks for the advice.

I know a VPS would be a better solution for me, but I have had huge spikes of traffic in the past (think Digg) and want my website to remain up.

I also plan on hosting a proxy to go along with my website, if my provider doesn't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
    I updated my thread. Thanks for the advice.

I know a VPS would be a better solution for me, but I have had huge spikes of traffic in the past (think Digg) and want my website to remain up.

I also plan on hosting a proxy to go along with my website, if my provider doesn't mind.
    Some provider would not like proxy server,because of it will cause abuse easily

most reputable providers do not allow for the use of proxy sites on their network.

try ezzi.net they have cheap sempron deal or layeredtech (ezzi preferred by me )

How much are you able to pay? $50 per month, $40 per month...more...less. Tell us what you can afford and we can steer you in the right direction. Shared or VPS does sound like a good option for you.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support

Around $50-$70/month is what I'm looking to spend.

Managemybox may be good for you? Or serverpronto.
    AS395558

Quote Originally Posted by Dynu Douglas
    Managemybox may be good for you? Or serverpronto.
    I would recommend agaisnt both of those companies are they are very dirty cheap but are not reliable. The most reliable budget company I have worked with is LayeredTech, which is who I'll recommend for the server.

There are plenty of server management companies out there for you to hire, but you need to up your budget by about $30 to afford any of them. Check the employement forums and see if you can find anybody.

Alex

At only 500 unique per day I don't know why you're looking for either dedicated or VPS. that's not a lot of traffic when considering how to manage the hosting.

Granted it depends on what they're doing on the site and how much *stuff* is involved, but that just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I've got a site that's getting over 80,000 pageviews per day, and over 40,000 unique per day. it's a small script and doesn't even phase the server I've got it on. That server has 150 other websites on it.

You might want to evaluate your needs

That's a good point, e-places.

Like I said in my original post, I hope to host a proxy along with the website.

I have already been told by my current shared host, Dreamhost, that I am taking up a lot of server resources. I'm using a MYSQL and PHP driven CMS that tends to be a bit bloated.

You still might want to test the waters with another host. Dreamhost's idea of 'using lots of resources' could be a long way from reality.

But one thing that's for sure, poorly written or bloated scripts could easily eat up resources so it's clearly a possibility

Thanks for the advice e-places. But as it remains, I want to run a proxy, too, so I think I should get a dedicated server.

If anyone else has hosts they recommend let me know.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    I would recommend agaisnt both of those companies are they are very dirty cheap but are not reliable. The most reliable budget company I have worked with is LayeredTech, which is who I'll recommend for the server.

There are plenty of server management companies out there for you to hire, but you need to up your budget by about $30 to afford any of them. Check the employement forums and see if you can find anybody.

Alex
    Dirty cheap but not reliable? We've had 100% uptime for past 6 months.
    ManageMyServices was sold by me in September 2009. I no longer have any affiliation with this company.

I would find a LayeredTech server you want (look on their sale page, there is a workable system for $90/mo with cpanel, if you don't need cpanel you can probably get down to $70), go to their forums in the Advertising section and ask a if any resellers want to take this on. The resellers get a small discount which they can count as profit , and then take a chance on the advertising. If you offer to to pay 3 months at a time I'm sure you could find some takers.

-Jason
    Have you considered Semi-dedicated Hosting? 4 - 8 accounts per server. Less overhead than VPS, better performance for the price.
    DopeDomains.com - 15,000 New Domains a day. indexed by Pagerank, backlinks, Hits, and Length.

Quote Originally Posted by Laws
    Dirty cheap but not reliable? We've had 100% uptime for past 6 months.
    With what company?

Alex

re: ded svr

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
    Thanks for the advice e-places. But as it remains, I want to run a proxy, too, so I think I should get a dedicated server.

If anyone else has hosts they recommend let me know.

Thanks!
    Drop an e-mail to sales@company.xxx and ask them directly if it is not in their AUP (and suggest they add it as permissible). But remember, most TOS tell you that you can be asked to leave at any time (keep backups).

good luck