Game host, a question

Me and a friend are bulding a private server for Everquest, or well we have been for quite a while and it's turning out great. Most servers out there are very lowsy done so we though we would create something a bit more interesting. The problem is we fear we will have a too large playerbase to support it hosting from a normal computer.

So we need a dedicated host, my question would be, what company would you recommend for a game such a Everquest? Im not sure how mutch it takes for a server that should support around 100 players being able to play lagfree at once.

I know their tons of private servers out there for games like Everquest, Dark age of Camelot etc but i can't seem to figure out what companies they are subscribed to for hosting them.

If anyone would cast some light on what kind of company / server box we would need to make this server actually happen i would be very gratefull.

Hello,

Since you have created your own server, why not to ask for co-location ? It is like, I bring my own computer in a Datacenter, and they care for me about power, network, climatisation, etc...

Then to make a good Datacenter choice, you should target who and where from will play on your server, for sure if you leave in New York you shouldn't rent in California...

To make a good choice, choose a hosting company that is close to your home, make some ping test, do it from various network, ask them if they have a game server for testing purposes or even just an IP.

Enjoy.

Everquest is not very CPU intensive, so you'd need to worry more about the bandwidth used by 100+ players. They will also use a lot of RAM. So I would recommend either a Pentium 4 3.2GHz (or higher) or AMD Athlon 64 3800 (or higher). No big difference there in the CPU performance, but be sure to invest more in the RAM, settling for no less than 1024MB.

I also image your 100+ players will be spread out all over the country and even the world, so a nice central location with multiple carriers will be to your benefit. I'd recommend a Dallas provider like layeredtech.com or softlayer.com. Both have great networks and, if your user base grows, it's easy to add more RAM for a small price.

Im afraid i don't have mutch experience with dedicated hosts. What we would need is some kind of company that provides all the hosting and we would need acces to still be able to get into the server files to update / change stuff.

I checked out layerdtech.com and checked on their server, so uhm, if we would get for an example this server.

<B>Base System Configuration:
    • 2 x 2.8GHz Intel XEON
    • x 80GB Hard Drive
    • 1024MB RAM
    • Bandwidth: 2000GB
    • IP Addresses: 8 (5 usable)
    • Private VLAN
    • Basic Resource Monitoring
    • FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, Windows*
    • 100% Self Managed and Dedicated
    Last edited by Wyseth; 09-16-2006 at 09:49 PM.

You should check out insomnia365.com they have gaming servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyseth
    Highlights
    Intel Dual Xeon Series
    Starting from 1024MB RAM
    1000GB BW Tier 1
    8 IP's Private Vlan

Would that be enough for the server to run on?
    For 100 players, sure no.

Im afraid i don't have mutch experience with dedicated hosts. What we would need is some kind of company that provides all the hosting and we would need acces to still be able to get into the server files to update / change stuff.

I checked out layerdtech.com and checked on their server, so uhm, if we would get for an example this server.

<B>Base System Configuration:
    • <LI class=MsoNormal>2 x 2.8GHz Intel XEON <LI class=MsoNormal>2 x 80GB Hard Drive <LI class=MsoNormal>1024MB RAM <LI class=MsoNormal>Bandwidth: 2000GB <LI class=MsoNormal>IP Addresses: 8 (5 usable) <LI class=MsoNormal>Private VLAN <LI class=MsoNormal>Basic Resource Monitoring <LI class=MsoNormal>FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, Windows*
    • 100% Self Managed and Dedicated
    <STRONG>Monthly Fee Options:
    Yes, it's a bit overkill, but it will definitely handle your needs.

Insomnia365 is more for First-Person Shooters (Counter-Strike, BF2, Call of Duty, etc), not MMORPG's like EQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualism
    For 100 players, sure no.
    What does "sure no" mean? Sounds like when my girlfriend answers a question will "yeah no"

A 2 x Xeon will be plenty for your needs.

Thank you all for your help, I think i will go with the one from layeredtech.com as they have the same price for more cpu. And im definately willing to pay 189$ for it.

Now i would like to be abit more annoying and ask, since Everquest private servers arent exactly legal, would they have anything against hosting it? or do host companies dont work like that?

Quote Originally Posted by fireforfx
    What does "sure no" mean? Sounds like when my girlfriend answers a question will "yeah no"

A 2 x Xeon will be plenty for your needs.
    Hehe ;-)

...well you are right, I haven't mentioned that it was a Xeon, it is now 04am local time, I am a bit tired, but anyway, I do not believe that 1 GB of ram would be enough for 100 players.

Anyway, you are still able to ask them to increase if needed

Thank you all for your help, I think i will go with the one from layeredtech.com as they have the same price for more cpu. And im definately willing to pay 189$ for it.

Now i would like to be abit more annoying and ask, since Everquest private servers arent exactly legal, would they have anything against hosting it? or do host companies dont work like that?
    I'm sure they would have no problem with it, but if the game developer complained about it to their abuse department, they would disconnect the server.