Thread: VPS or Reseller

* VPS or Reseller

Hi there, looking for a bit of advice.

I need to move hosts and have about 40 domains across 2 reseller accounts atm.

I was wondering if i should move to a VPS system or not.

Any thoughts, comments etc.. would be greatly appreciated.

Also if you know of a host that you would recomend that would be mighty fine as well.

Kind Regards

If you are not familiar or do not want to get involved in server administration then staying with a reseller account would be best.

VPS would mean that you will need to handle the security and administration of the VPS apart from the handling of the account.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by eddy2099
    If you are not familiar or do not want to get involved in server administration then staying with a reseller account would be best.

VPS would mean that you will need to handle the security and administration of the VPS apart from the handling of the account.
    Excuse the perhaps silly question, would i have to manage security if it was a managed VPS, if that exists?

Cheers

I guess it depends on the level of "managed" some companies go all the way and you don't have to worry about anything others just say managed and they just give you vanilla installations and just fix things at your request, and there are also some that say unmanaged but they will do everything anyway, guess you just have to do some research in this forum and on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by majickal
    Excuse the perhaps silly question, would i have to manage security if it was a managed VPS, if that exists?

Cheers
    Fully managed in the security aspect means you would have to ask them to install security software etc.

Personally I recommend staying with reseller accounts, otherwise go with a fairly large VPS with 512MB RAM minimum, unmanaged. And signup with PSM - www.platinumservermanagement.com and get them to harden your box, and install security software.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

A VPS does mean a lot of additional things to learn as opposed to a simple reseller.

But, it also means a lot more freedom and configurability.

If you are new the getting a Managed VPS is the best bet. Some providers charge you seperately for hardening your VPS.

They will also look after your VPS for any other problems.

If you are comforatble with handling servers, then you can go for unmanaged.
    Ajay D'Souza

WebberZone

I would suggest you to stick with the resellership with a good webhost to avoid any kind of headaches. If you own a VPS, then you will have to do a lot of things like server monitoring, securing etc etc.

If you need custom softwares that need root access, then VPS is the best option.

I think in the long run a VPS would be better or perhaps a mix of a small vps and a medium reseller package, that way i can learn the things i will need to know about running a vps while maintaining a secure 'hardened' (first time i have heard of this) site for my clients.

Anyone have suggested hosts?

I just took a VPS with FutureHosting.biz last week. Good support so far.

besides there are many others like PowerVPS, ServInt, Knownhost, Host Maven for starters with varying prices.

I suggest looking in the VPS forum for more reviews. Also, depends on your budget.
    Ajay D'Souza

WebberZone

I would go with a vps for many reason simply because you can reboot and shutdown your server, create reseller accounts, make more money and have more root access which you wouldnt recieve from a reseller. And with a vps you can get plesk and it awesome power pack which is better than cPanel due to prices, features, and security. Not many people know that cPanel has security holes.

There is also one issue with VPS is that you get a slice of the CPU and RAM which is great because you are guaranteed that much, however it may work against you if you are using more resources than provided. With a reseller account, all the free CPU and RAM is at your disposal.

Maybe if you up your budget a little, you may be able to get your own dedicated server and you can opt for Plesk with that. Cpanel is not the only control panel offered by web host.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

I think go with a VPS only if:
    a) you can handle the managment task or are willing to outsource managment
    and
    b) you need the extra freedom.

If a reseller account does everything you require then stick with it, but if you do need to have more control VPS is a great way to go, and its not that hard to manage. If you are going to manage it yourself the best way to learn would be to open your VPS account and play around with it ALOT. you will most likely stuffup alot of times before you are ready to manage, search google also and do some reading (or this forum).

I am starting to lean towards a managed VPS, seems like a good move long term.

And darkt3ch your dead right, should have a play around with a VPS unmanaged and see if i can keep it running!!

BTW, thankyou all for your help..much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by majickal
    Hi there, looking for a bit of advice.

I need to move hosts and have about 40 domains across 2 reseller accounts atm.

I was wondering if i should move to a VPS system or not.
    That depends on the resource usage of those 40 domains, and if you really need to move them to a VPS. Moving to a VPS would be a good thing, as that will give you lots more room to expand your business, but you need to decide if the extra cost is worth the extra resources available.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up