Question Transfering a forum, non cpanel to cpanel

I have a client that has a Vbulletin forum with a non-cPanel host ( http://www.************.com ) and he wants to transfer it to my cPanel reseller account. If it were cPanel to cPanel, I wouldn't be making this post but since it's not, is there a reasonably easy way to transfer it? I just have a reseller account so I don't have root access. It's not a large database (Threads: 565, Posts: 2,096, Members: 232)
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

There is not an easy way to do this. You are going to have to manually copy the files and sql entries. Then to get the site working you will need to modify the config files of vbullitin.
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by jmcallister
    There is not an easy way to do this. You are going to have to manually copy the files and sql entries. Then to get the site working you will need to modify the config files of vbullitin.
    Thanks for responding jmcallister, I definitely don't have the knowledge and I seriously doubt that my client does.
    CatfishEd.com

Hello Ed

Indeed, is pretty easy, take a look at this post at Vbulletin http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2199

Edit: Another guide http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/moving_servers
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Smile

Thanks everyone for your help. I said he was a client to simplify my post, actually he's a friend of mine that I was going to host free as a favor but it's not worth all the trouble but again, thank you very much for your help. You guys and gals at WHT are always very helpful.
    CatfishEd.com

It's actually not that hard for a forum of that size. I'm guessing it will take 20 minutes or less (the long part is the downloading and uploading of the regular VBulletin files). I've personally done this with bigger VBulletin forums.

Just download all of your friends files, then re-upload them. Then zip up the sql file and re-upload it in PHPMyAdmin and that's it. Once you re-upload it, it will be automatically execute the script and create all of the database tables.

Quote Originally Posted by qualityeye
    It's actually not that hard for a forum of that size. I'm guessing it will take 20 minutes or less (the long part is the downloading and uploading of the regular VBulletin files). I've personally done this with bigger VBulletin forums.

Just download all of your friends files, then re-upload them. Then zip up the sql file and re-upload it in PHPMyAdmin and that's it. Once you re-upload it, it will be automatically execute the script and create all of the database tables.
    Indeed; It is quite simple. If you are looking for someone to do this for you, it would be more appropriate to open a thread in the "Employment Offers and Requests" forum.

Good luck!

You probably don't even need to do an Employment offer, it's really an easy job (explained completely in my last post) you just have to put in the effort. If you need any help just PM me and I'll gladly help you out especially since I'm a fishing fan, although I haven't fished for catfish in a couple of years, I've basically been fishing off of the inlet near where I live for the last year and I'm catching tons of sea bass, sea robins, skates, some flounder, and bluefish.

My website has around 3700members and 29000posts and only is 90mb sql database.. you can go to phpmyadmin and export the database, download it off of phpmyadmin then upload it, and use ssh to load it.. shouldn't be too hard, did you try searching there forums? I do it with phpbb which is what my site is..

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by qualityeye

You guys say this is easy?????? You're all geniuses!!!!! Sure they're easy with cPanel to cPanel. Like I said in my first post, I would not have started this thread if it had been cPanel to cPanel but it's from a WindowsNT server to a cPanel server and there is noooooooooooo way I can even get to first base on it. I downloaded the forum folder via FTP and created the account in WHM. I then uploaded the forum folder to the newly created account via FTP. That whole process took at least an hour (not 20 minutes) with high speed cable. It took another 30 minutes just to restore the tiny 20 mb. database and then I discovered that no tables were created. At this point I contacted my friend and told him to forget it.
    CatfishEd.com

11. I would post a thread within the advertising forum on WHT requesting somebody to make the transfer for you. You will probable get a good deal since it is a relatively easy task for somebody that knows what their doing.

It took another 30 minutes just to restore the tiny 20 mb. database and then I discovered that no tables were created. At this point I contacted my friend and told him to forget it.
    Sounds like you just forgot to include all the tables in the export from phpmyadmin on the other server.

Once you get the DB dump with all the tables, forward it to your host, along with the DB Name, UN and PW you have set up on your server and they can import this in a few minutes for you via command line.

Dont give up on this one - its not a difficult process.. and once you get through it once, all future migrations like this will be 100% easier

1 last thing you will need to do is open up the VB config file and change a few pathways to match your server and change the DB connection strings - that should be it

That whole process took at least an hour (not 20 minutes) with high speed cable.
    HMMMM - sounds a little congested (unless the user you are migrating has a whack of large image files, etc...)

Another thing you can do (for future reference) is create a tarbal on the source server then just wget to the new server and untar in the public html folder and extract. Some control panels will allow you to do this from the CP (not sure about cpanel) - but, eitherway, most hosts would perform these 2 commands for you (and I am certain AussieBob would if cpanel doesnt support wget and tar/untar from the cp)

Unhappy

Thank you very much everyone for your suggestions but it is the most complicated task I have ever tried in my 66 years on this earth!!! I tried every way to make it work that I ever heard of since my last post and it is impossible!!!!!!! I export the db from the Windows server via PhpMyadmin to my hard drive and then import it to the new account via PhpMyadmin but it always reads "error could not read file" after 40 minutes or so of importing.

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting
    Another thing you can do (for future reference) is create a tarbal on the source server then just wget to the new server and untar in the public html folder and extract. Some control panels will allow you to do this from the CP (not sure about cpanel) - but, eitherway, most hosts would perform these 2 commands for you (and I am certain AussieBob would if cpanel doesnt support wget and tar/untar from the cp)
    Thanks but I have a simple cPanel/WHM reseller account and I only have a vague idea what "tarbal", "wget" and "untar" mean let alone what you're talking about.

You are right on about Aussie Bob doing that. In fact he offered to give me a lot more help than that which would be way above and beyond what I expect from my host. He really provides great service {shameless plug for dotable ) I wanted to do this myself but that isn't going to happen.

Just so you folks understand, I'm not trying to be in the hosting business. I host a few of my design clients and a few freebees on my reseller account. I am not even close to being a professional web designer, I just do simple HTML stuff using tables, haven't even figured out how to use CSS other than in simple applications. I can move SMF, PhBB, IPB etc. forums with their databases from one cPanel server to another and make them work but this was utterly ridiculous.

I'll stick to simple cPanel from now on so you folks won't have to read anymore of this ranting.

Byeeeeeeeeee
    CatfishEd.com

I export the db from the Windows server via PhpMyadmin to my hard drive and then import it to the new account via PhpMyadmin but it always reads "error could not read file" after 40 minutes or so of importing.
    This sounds suspiciously like the 20 MB DB is too large and times out on the upload (php upload timeout limit)

Just forward this backup to your host and they can import from command line

Thanks but I have a simple cPanel/WHM reseller account and I only have a vague idea what "tarbal", "wget" and "untar" mean let alone what you're talking about.
    lol, sorry bud -

tarbal is like zip - it just compresses all the files into a single file

wget is a server to server command which will quickly pull the tarball from above to your new server

untar will uncompress the files into your public html folder (basically eliminating the time required to ftp the files to your PC and backup to the new server - also the server to server connections tend to be alot better )

I dont use phpmyadmin for any db larger than 5MB You can use bigdump instead, to export your db to .sql file, then pass it to your host. You just need to upload the files from old "public_html" to new account, reconfigure the config file