Question Telephone support: how many calls pr 1000 hosting clients?

Hi,
    How many support calls would you expect from pr 1000 clients?

Input?

tnx

ditlev
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Depends on a lot of factors. Do you have an adequate knowledgebase? Do you have a live chat program with operators? Do you have a ticket system? Any of the previously mentioned could stave off a significant amount of telephone support calls.
    JetNet, LLC
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable
    Shared Reseller Dedicated
    http://www.jetnethost.com

Quote Originally Posted by JetNet
    Depends on a lot of factors. Do you have an adequate knowledgebase? Do you have a live chat program with operators? Do you have a ticket system? Any of the previously mentioned could stave off a significant amount of telephone support calls.
    Couldn't agree more. All of what JetNet said will depend on how many calls you receive. Not only what was listed, but also the type of clients you have. Are these clients pretty well tech savvy or are they beginner users? - One thing you may want to consider doing is conducting a client survey, basically asking them if they would like to have telephone support avaliable and if they would use it how often would they use it? Something along the lines of that.

The answer is 47.5

Just kidding, also a big factor is if you offer live chat as that is sometimes a lot more popular then phone, or if you advertise phone on your site. I've seen some huge hosts not make it prominent except for sales and get barely any calls but others who make it prominent get tons of calls...
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

ok - well, I didn't expect to see an exact figures, perhaps i didnt make myself clear

I was hoping that you could tell a bit about your own experiences?
    An example - we have not offered phone support earlier at UK2, but our experience is that for every 1000 clients we get around 40 tickets pr month to our support system.

Ditlev
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,

Quote Originally Posted by eming
    ok - well, I didn't expect to see an exact figures, perhaps i didnt make myself clear

I was hoping that you could tell a bit about your own experiences?
    An example - we have not offered phone support earlier at UK2, but our experience is that for every 1000 clients we get around 40 tickets pr month to our support system.

Ditlev
    You *will* get more calls than tickets. Why? Because people are lazy.

It is much easier for someone to pick up the phone and call you than it is for them to spend 60 seconds reading an FAQ or to submit a HelpDesk ticket.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina

It is much easier for someone to pick up the phone and call you than it is for them to spend 60 seconds reading an FAQ or to submit a HelpDesk ticket.

--Tina
    I completely agree with what Tina said. Based on my personal experiences and based on what I have read/heard throughout many forums and resources, people (Americans to be more specific) would rather wait on hold more than 45+ minutes before they utilized any type of internet knowledgebase or an internet medium of support (Such as a support ticket or e-mail). On the other hand, since you are in the U.K, the same resource stated that residence/clients within the United Kingdom don't like to wait over 3 minutes.

With that being in mind, I would say just because you offer phone support (Yes, just because) and because "people are lazy", you would probobly receive on average more telephone calls than tickets.

I find it that if you have some sort of live support, most people will go there before calling you. A lot of people may not want or cannot call you.

Well depending on the experience of your customers you may be getting at least 150+ calls a day i think. I've only ever called my host once and that's because a long downtime. Other than that i never really had to as everything came simple to me.

Now for instance...my friend lives his life by the support of the hosting company. He doesn't know up from down. How to figure backups, stats, etc.
    WebHostingOpinions.com - Based entirely on web hosting user reviews
    Be heard and submit your review review here.

I would guess roughly 20-30 per day if your getting about 20 tickets per day. Our numbers are close to that.

~Fred

If you ask me no one can tell you this with conviction, there is no set formula.
    with me one hosting company with 2200 clients receives 50 calls per day and another with 1200 customers receives just 1-2 .
    it depends on lot many things not just the number of customers
    True 24x7 Tech. Support | Better Infrastructure, Skilled People, Reliable Support, Maximum Transparency
    U&D Square Solutions Pvt. Ltd | www.udsquare.com| ISO 9001 & ISO 27001 Certified Company
    Tech Support | Consulting | Outsourcing | | 150 team members and growing

Dedicated Support | Shared Support | Helpdesk |Live Chat | Server Management | Server Monitoring

thanks for your input guys - phone support has been discussed for a long time at UK2 now, and I think that sooner or later we will move that way.

We used to be very very bad at support but the last 6 months we have worked hard to turn this around. I've more than doubled the support staff and we now have 24/7 chat and help desk support, with 1.36hours avg reply time and 1.8 replies pr ticket.

Still, I am convinced that the meere fact that we would have a phonenumber would be beneficial to our conversion and retention rate - even if our support has improved significantly.

However, we have accounts with all competitors on the top10 biggest hosts list here in UK2 and I have tried calling some the phonesupport of some of them...In most cases I honestly think that it would be better not to have phonenumber, as the people answering the phone had no clue.

If we did it, we would have to do it the 'right' way - and it would be expensive...does any of you have experience with using premium numbers for telephone support?

ditlev
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,

Premium numbers as in toll free numbers? Toll free numbers (at least in the US) are not that expensive.. I believe I got mine for $15 1 time fee (on top of that there are the minutes/pbx), but it is relatively inexpensive.

Still, I am convinced that the meere fact that we would have a phonenumber would be beneficial to our conversion and retention rate - even if our support has improved significantly.
    Split test, add a 1800 number and use cookies to alternate between two versions of your site, one with the 1800 number all over and prominent and the other not, track signups and see , very easy to do

Quote Originally Posted by bwb
    Split test, add a 1800 number and use cookies to alternate between two versions of your site, one with the 1800 number all over and prominent and the other not, track signups and see , very easy to do
    makes sense, love a/b splits, we do it all the time for designchanges and newsletter sendouts.
    Thing is that its pretty hard to setup and organize just for testing conversions, and even harder to take away if our conversion didnt go up - clients that joined because of the phonesupport might be upset. But i like the idea.

d.
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,

makes sense, love a/b splits, we do it all the time for designchanges and newsletter sendouts.
    Thing is that its pretty hard to setup and organize just for testing conversions, and even harder to take away if our conversion didnt go up - clients that joined because of the phonesupport might be upset. But i like the idea.

d.
    What software are you guys using to monitor that? happy with it?

It shoudn't be to hard to write a program that puts a cookie with a 1 or 2 for the 2 different designs on visitors, then hopefully your pages are using php to just do some reading of that with if statements to show them the two different pages, or do you use it to show diff graphics with the 1800 number. It could easily be setup in a day and would take while to check but you should be able to see a difference if it causes one.

Besides you should have that setup to test new designs or changes anyway right? And in the long run will be worth it.

What software are you guys using to monitor that? happy with it?

It shoudn't be to hard to write a program that puts a cookie with a 1 or 2 for the 2 different designs on visitors, then hopefully your pages are using php to just do some reading of that with if statements to show them the two different pages, or do you use it to show diff graphics with the 1800 number. It could easily be setup in a day and would take while to check but you should be able to see a difference if it causes one.

Besides you should have that setup to test new designs or changes anyway right? And in the long run will be worth it.
    we have the system in place to make a/b splits. For emails we use emailvision, very good - but quite expensive. For website we use instadia, equally good, but even more expensive

Problems is not making the tests, we are quite good at that
    Its rather promising telephonesupport to a portion of our clients, setting up a phonenumber, staff to answer the phone etc for the sake of a test. Thats not really doable.

A/B splits are good for checking design, landingpages, subjectlines, previewpanes and even new products or offers etc. - but in this case I would find it to hard to setup the infrastructure for telephonesupport for testingpurposes alone.

d.
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,

d.
    I can tell you for certain that the more prominent you make your phone number on the website, the more calls you will get from new and existing customers. The more traffic you get the more calls you will get too. More so than from your existing client base.

But if your server or network goes down or experiences any latency, your call volume will go way up, very fast based on the size of your client base. You might want to consider a monthly or annual estimate based on downtime X the number of customers. So if you have .1% downtime per year, you will get 10X more calls per thousand than if you have .01% downtime. One good reason to choose a reliable provider.

A/B splits are good for checking design, landingpages, subjectlines, previewpanes and even new products or offers etc. - but in this case I would find it to hard to setup the infrastructure for telephonesupport for testingpurposes alone.
    Nope I meant for what he is trying to find, if a 1800 number will increase his conversions, would be a good way to test for a month to see if more customers sign up.

btw, check out this cool tool, http://www.crazyegg.com

kinda a heat map tool, useful for redesign or ad testing to some degree, just fun to play with too

kinda a heat map tool, useful for redesign or ad testing to some degree, just fun to play with too
    wow is that cool or what - Ive just signed up, and already after the first 50 visitors I can see a few things we need to work on

Big thanks for the link!

ditlev
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,

It works pretty good. I've been testing it for a few weeks now and it certainly helps you identify where on the page people click, regardless of if there is a link there.

Yep yep, I've been using it for about a month with landing pages we do for clients, great little tool, nice cause its a easier to use and doesn't try to do everything like some of the other more expensive products out there.

The guys that run it are really nice too, they are also very open to working with any marketers or hosting companies who want to license it in some shape to offer to their own clients branded or so on, very cool tool.

http://www.resellerguide.com/article...yegg-review/84

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    It depends on the type of query.

We have a 24/7 contact centre and group most queries into 3 departments (support, sales, accounts). We have reporting on both the phone and ticket systems.

Looking at the statistics for last week:

* Support - approximately 5 tickets for every call.

* Sales - approximately 4 calls for every ticket.

* Accounts - approximately 1.5 tickets for every call.

-Shaun

I don't really think anyone can answer that question for you, as the amount of calls one thousand users make, depends largely on your target market. Obviously, if you were targeting tech-savy customers, the number of calls would dramatically be different in comparison to someone targeting customers who aren't computer literate. Other factor's could also alter your calls, such as the coverage of your knowledge base (If you have one) and the level and frequency of disruptions to your service. After all, service disruptions = more complaints and headaches.

but our experience is that for every 1000 clients we get around 40 tickets pr month to our support system.
    Am I the only one who things that number is too low? 40 tickets/month for 1000 clients? That's at most 2 tickets per day?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

If you have PHPAdsNew (www.phpadsnew.com) you can set up an "ad campaign" that will display a graphic with your phone number and then set it so it only displays on certain days or even certain hours. This way, you can track impressions of the image and compare that with signups to see if displaying it increased sales or not. You could even link it to your contact page to track clicks.

PHPAdsNew is very powerful and can be used for much more than just rotating banners. You can rotate content and track it, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave
    Am I the only one who things that number is too low? 40 tickets/month for 1000 clients? That's at most 2 tickets per day?
    number used to be a lot higher before we had 24/7 chat put on. Number is correct for us though based on our 300k clientdb.
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,