Semi-unusual server

I am looking to get a semi-unusual Windows server. The application I need to run is cpu limited (heavy number crunching), but can only be run in a single process.

What I want is to trade off raw CPU power for dollars. Other features like HD, bandwidth, are all of minor concerns.

I was think about the AMD 3200 from LT but wondered if I can do better.

Thanks

Daniel

Im not a dedi provider but i am infact curious of this application, care to elaborate?

If its truly CPU intensive and you want something fast go with a Dual XEON.

It is a bioinformatics program involved in DNA sequencing (human genome stuff - very interesting, but very complex). We offer a free web version of the software for people to use. Currently we are running it on a dual xeon machine, but as it is single threaded only one processor is doing any work - not the best value

If anyone is at all curious (unlikely) the application is here LongTrace sequencing service

Daniel
    Last edited by Daniel Tillett; 09-15-2006 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rapta
    If its truly CPU intensive and you want something fast go with a Dual XEON.
    The software can only be run in a single process - dual processors only hit 50% load.

I think you need a higher end Xeon 7100 or Opteron 256 series. Not sure who has that but all you need is a single high clock rate cpu with lots of cache right?

Does disk play any part in this? If so go with SAS.

Good luck if i happen to see anyone with something like this i will post here.

Webnx generally has some harder to find custom configurations you can try them.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

I assume you cannot just run 2 instances of the software in order to truly use a dual cpu setup?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRaul
    I think you need a higher end Xeon 7100 or Opteron 256 series. Not sure who has that but all you need is a single high clock rate cpu with lots of cache right?

Does disk play any part in this? If so go with SAS.

Good luck if i happen to see anyone with something like this i will post here.

Webnx generally has some harder to find custom configurations you can try them.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yes all I need single cpu - what I want is the biggest bang for my buck I haven't seen any single processor Xeon or Opterons around - does anyone offer these at a reasonable price?

Disk is a pretty minor contribution to the overall performance so I don't really care as long as it doesn't crash

Quote Originally Posted by burstdan
    I assume you cannot just run 2 instances of the software in order to truly use a dual cpu setup?
    Unfortunately not thanks to a poorly coded third party component

One option I did think of is to run two Windows instances under VM but I haven't found anyone who offers this.

There are some providers that will do single Xeons or Opterons, another option would be a fast p4 or AMD Athlon single core. I understand your issues about the poorly made software, it reminds me of the WorldCommunityGrid client, for the longest time it was single process, ways around it were running a VM on the machine to get the second cpu active.
    Daniel Pautz - WebNX, Inc. dan >< WebNX.com
    WebNX.com Enterprise Hosting Solutions – Southern California (Premium Equinix Based DC), Northern Utah (Large 120k Sq' WebNX ran) and NYC Based Servers
    High end Dedicated Servers at reasonable prices on a Premium network with 9x providers route optimized with the Noction IRP

Depending on how long you need the server for, your best bet might be just to go colo...

Buy exactly the server you need and only pay for the data center to house it...
    Kevin, The Walrus

Quote Originally Posted by AWalrus
    Depending on how long you need the server for, your best bet might be just to go colo...

Buy exactly the server you need and only pay for the data center to house it...
    Colo does sound right for you, i think it will pay for itself in the long run.

Sounds like an interesting project; colo may or may not be appropriate. This is largely dependent upon your budget and labor expenses. With dedicated, the hardware isn't your responsibility but colocation is pretty much on your own or expensive remote hands. That's not something you may be willing to invest in, if it is then by all means do it. If not, its best to disclose your budget so that we can help point you to a specific provider.

Thanks for all the answers. I don't really want to go down the colo road (not easy from Australia).

I was hoping that someone might be able to suggest something better the Layered Techs L2-AMD-ATHLON-3200-B which with Windows web edition (what is this?) would set me back $109 a month + $19 set-up. Any suggestions anyone?

Alternatively does anyone know of any one provider able to set up a dual cpu/core system with two copies of windows under VM?