Bigger Apache Process with 64bit?

I had my hosting company install CentOS 4.4 with CPanel and for some reason they decided to install the 64bit version without me asking. I thought it wouldn't make a difference and would probably be better since it highmem wouldn't have to be used but now that I have copied the accounts off my other server with 32bit and set up round robin config. I have noticed that each apache process is 30-70% bigger in the 64bit server which is using way more ram. Does anyone know about this being true?

Apache has mod_perl 1.29 compiled into both of them and the scripts running are cgiproxy script. The servers have identical content and traffic so theres no reason there should be a difference. The only thing different about them is the 64bit and 32bit. Any help or explantion would be great so I can figure it out or have to go back to the 32bit version. Thanks.

Not sure if hardware could affect it but basically this is the hardware...

32bit (FDC rented)
    dual opteron 265
    8gb ram
    200GB hard drive

64bit (FDC Colo'd)
    dual opteron 270
    8gb ram
    74gb raptor drive

ps - I know the servers should be identical but I wanted to try my custom built server before getting 2 of them and half my traffic handles fine on the 265.

Southwest UK
    Have you tried doing a diff on the httpd.conf, are you running the same version (1.3 v 2.2?).
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good.

Both are running 1.3.37

It is normal for 64bit processes to use more ram (and binaries being larger) then 32bit. This is due to all the words (ints) being 64bit (vs 32bit before), and all the pointers being 64bit (once again vs 32bit before). So, depending on the type of application/what it does/how it does it, increase in size of 30% to 70% is ok.
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc
    CloudLinux -- The OS that can make your Shared Hosting stable