PHP4+5 Performance & WireNine Service

Hi all,

Recently I found WireNine is offering php4 + 5 modules together on their servers. And I'm kind of interested in this configuration, it is really great for me as a software developer that I won't need to maintain multiple hosting accounts on different servers.

1. Any other hosting companies are also offering this configration?

2. Will it affect server performance and stability in a general shared hosting environment?

3. Lastly to current WireNine customers, how is WireNine services? Stable servers? Up to standard support?

Thanks a lot!

I think your best bet would be to search the forum for this information.

In terms of PHP4 + 5, its possible to do, not easy to maintain, but definately possible. There is no performance degration or benefits, but if you code in PHP I would stick with one standard (4 or 5) and not both.

PHP5 offers additional default modules and functions, which we want to take advantages of for our software packages new release.

While most servers are still running PHP4, so we still have to maintain PHP4 versions for those customers.

With single PHP version environment, I have to keep multiple hosting accounts of different providers.

This is the main benefit for me and maybe also apply to many other programmers.

Quote Originally Posted by eric418
    PHP5 offers additional default modules and functions, which we want to take advantages of for our software packages new release.

While most servers are still running PHP4, so we still have to maintain PHP4 versions for those customers.

With single PHP version environment, I have to keep multiple hosting accounts of different providers.

This is the main benefit for me and maybe also apply to many other programmers.
    Ah well this is very valid, just make sure to note that running PHP4 and PHP5 at the same time means you can't have a .php extension for both, the php4 apps will probably need a .php4 extension so you will need to update your code.

The easiest way to run both is to install both php4 and php5 as apache modules. You can set it up where .php extensions would use php4, and .php5 extensions would use php5. If you do not want to use .php5 extensions, you can also setup an .htaccess file within the directory of your php5 script:

PHP Code:
    AddType application/x-httpd-php5 .php 

Thanks for you guys replies.

Actually I fully understand how it works and options I have, but I don't own dedicated server, so I can't install module nor config the server myself.

This is why i asked
    1) any recommended companies offering this config
    2) As WireNine is offering this, are they a good host

Hi felit0,

Visited your page stating PHP4 & PHP5,

Does it mean both 4+5 apache modules installed on the same server with addtype detective configurable through .htacess?

or

Customers have options to choose php4 or php5 installed server?

Does it mean both 4+5 apache modules installed on the same server with addtype detective configurable through .htacess?

or

Some hosts will do this using different file extensions, some will put you on different servers depending on version and some will allow you to switch in real time between versions. (IE, keep the php file extension, but change the PHP version in the control panel at any time)

Either way, you'd be best deciding the best type of setup you wish out of the above and then it's easier to narrow down the hosts that offer it. Or the other option would be to contact some of the hosts and ask them, which allows you to test their response times as well as check their setup meets your needs.

1. Any other hosting companies are also offering this configration?
    Plenty of web hosts now offer PHP4 + 5 together, or allow you to choose whether you'd be on a PHP5 or PHP4 server.

And I'm kind of interested in this configuration, it is really great for me as a software developer that I won't need to maintain multiple hosting accounts on different servers.
    That would be correct, with both PHP4 and PHP5 on the same server there is no need to purchase multiple accounts at different providers. You can run PHP5 with .php5 extension, at the same time run PHP4 with .php extension or configure it in .htaccess to run PHP5 with .php extension and PHP4 with .php4 extension.

Hi felit0,

Visited your page stating PHP4 & PHP5,

or

Both php4+php5 modules installed on the same server configurable via .htaccess