Need help 12 Servers.. Is colo for me?

I run a game server company and we have 12 game servers located in Texas (Softlayer). We are renting these servers from Softlayer, and we are considering colocating. We would need to colo somewhere in TX as these game servers are providing optimal pings for a certain group of customers.

I paying $150 - $200 for each box now, and average about 1000g transfer per box. (both ways)

My goal is to gain extra income without any network performance loss.

I know Colo4Dallas can help you out... http://colo4dallas.net

You'll definately save some money with Colo, buy a high end box and the colo cost should be around $100/mo...sooner or later the box pays for itself -- and you'll be able to put more games per server.

100/mo to colo 12 servers? That doesn't sound right.. you will need a half rack at least for that many servers.

Quote Originally Posted by rapta
    100/mo to colo 12 servers? That doesn't sound right.. you will need a half rack at least for that many servers.
    I meant per server, I completely forgot that he wanted to do 12...

The first thing is what type of servers you’re going to be buying, as that’s the expensive part doing co-location.

Next does the current datcenter / host offer colo service and if they do what do they get per server? ( also does that include bandwidth )
    Robert Merrihue - President/CEO
    http://www.bethehost.com
    Where resellers become a host on servers we own and operate.
    Web Hosting Since 2000 *** 12+ Years in the hosting industry

For 12 servers, that is a decision that would have to be made by you. Take the time to consider this before you go colocation-

You are off duty, one of the servers has a hardware issue. A 1 gig stick of ram and a hard drive died due to a power surge and it's possible more is having issues. You go to the server to find that it's only the ram and hard drive, yet you dont have any 250 gig drives or 1 gig pc 3200 in stock. You run out to the store, making down time time greater, even if you had a raid configuration because you still need ram to run the system, and end up spending $300 as you cant order online and get the very low rates. Your downtime is now 4 hours. You get the drive in, the ram is in, you boot into your system using one of the raid drives and start the dupliation to make sure it is all backed up to the new drive and the system is up and running 6-7 hours later.

Same situation with Dedicated providers

Your at work, off duty, where ever. Your ram and hard drive fail. You call up a company like SoftLayer for instance. They create the ticket for you, check out the hardware for you. You request a call back once they have found a solution since you are not at your desk or by a computer. They call you back 20 minutes later saying they know what's wrong and that they will have it fixed within the hour. You ask them to copy all of the data from your other drive which was set up as a mirroring raid drive. They say that they will do it as well for $3. No problem. Your back online within 2.5 hours

Now, $3 and 2.5-3 hours versus $300 and 6-7 hours. Unless you have the capital to keep enough backup hardware at least 1.5 times over, i would not reccomend it. Softlayer is who i used in there as I use them for the servers that I have. I've never had issues with them and getting things done in a timely manner.

Regards,
    Matt
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

Having read hg-matt's post I was wondering if anyone knew of any UK firms offering a similar service?

Quote Originally Posted by hg-matt
    For 12 servers, that is a decision that would have to be made by you. Take the time to consider this before you go colocation-

You are off duty, one of the servers has a hardware issue. A 1 gig stick of ram and a hard drive died due to a power surge and it's possible more is having issues. You go to the server to find that it's only the ram and hard drive, yet you dont have any 250 gig drives or 1 gig pc 3200 in stock. You run out to the store, making down time time greater, even if you had a raid configuration because you still need ram to run the system, and end up spending $300 as you cant order online and get the very low rates. Your downtime is now 4 hours. You get the drive in, the ram is in, you boot into your system using one of the raid drives and start the dupliation to make sure it is all backed up to the new drive and the system is up and running 6-7 hours later.

Same situation with Dedicated providers

Your at work, off duty, where ever. Your ram and hard drive fail. You call up a company like SoftLayer for instance. They create the ticket for you, check out the hardware for you. You request a call back once they have found a solution since you are not at your desk or by a computer. They call you back 20 minutes later saying they know what's wrong and that they will have it fixed within the hour. You ask them to copy all of the data from your other drive which was set up as a mirroring raid drive. They say that they will do it as well for $3. No problem. Your back online within 2.5 hours

Now, $3 and 2.5-3 hours versus $300 and 6-7 hours. Unless you have the capital to keep enough backup hardware at least 1.5 times over, i would not reccomend it. Softlayer is who i used in there as I use them for the servers that I have. I've never had issues with them and getting things done in a timely manner.

Regards,
    Matt
    Same thing applies for a colo thats managed

Same thing applies for a colo thats managed
    May be true - but how much more per month does that cost? In the end, having to pay $2000 - $3000 for decent gaming servers - 12 of them, then paying more on top of that for colocation and management, it's more cost effective to just stick with dedicated servers unless, like i said, you have the capital to do this. once you hit 50 servers or more, than I would consider it as it shows you are really up there, you are capable of producing, and it's not *as much* of a gamble.

Regards,
    Matt
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

Thanks for all the advice, I spent time with my business partners today reviewing these posts. At this time, it would be better to hold off on the colo for now. I think we will start preparing for colo at 50/75 servers.