This is clone a site? this is legal?

Hello,

This is the scenario:

A company holds the domain like generic_name.it and haves a site for their bussiness.

Someone else hold the domain generic_name.COM. They have used this domain for domain monetization.

Some weeks ago, the generic_name.com show the some content of the generic_name.it plus some ads on top and footer pages.
    The urls in generic_name.com are modified urls of generic_name.it
    All images showed in generic_name.com are the images hosted at generic_name.it
    All changes made in generic_name.it are instantly viwed ion next visit to generic_name.com

My question are:
    This is a form of site cloning ?
    This is legal ?

Thank you very mutch for your comments.

No. It is not legal, and the offending site can and should be shut down.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    No. It is not legal, and the offending site can and should be shut down.
    Thank you.
    How can I proced to shut down the offending site?

Send the offending site a DMCA notice, and give them 48 hours to comply. If they don't, send the same notice to their upstream provider (host, or their host's datacenter), and include the fact that you notified them directly first.

I've never had an issue getting a site pulled offline in this manner.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Just having a similar issue so thanks very much, I didn't know it was 48 hours, I gave them 24 hours.

Regards Lynn

I've ran into this situation in the past and wasn't too sure what to do exactly, the reply from the_pm has been a great help to guide me in future of what I should and can be doing to look after my rights - I'm sure this thread will help others too.

Thank you very much

now how far can this be taken?

I mean when it comes to copyright and when it doesnt?

Imean there are pages with very similar content all over the internet

and how can you actually claim copyright ownership if some material havent been created by you or your staff, you know, like fair use, like information :

no one can claim copyright ownership over information, although you can claim ownership over the way you display it

so what are the rules so you wont be acussed of copyright ownership?
    Last edited by healthy; 06-06-2007 at 03:58 PM.

The fact that they are hot linking the images to the other website is bad enough as this is using their bandwidth and not their own.

Quote Originally Posted by canz View Post
    Just having a similar issue so thanks very much, I didn't know it was 48 hours, I gave them 24 hours.

Regards Lynn
    Yes, there's no set time limit you must give. I've always given 48 hours, so they have enough time to read the request and then comply. You never know if you're going to catch someone on holiday, or just as they go to sleep, or whatever. It gives them a little time to mull over how serious you are about your request too, instead of a deadline passing and them thinking "oh well, too late." I've just found 48 hours to be a magic number. YMMV

48 hours does seem like pleanty of time. If the other business is serious they'd be checking their mail often so have no excuse for not complying.
    If they're using the extact same text this is plagerism, which is illegal.
    If the loss of bandwidth caused by them leeching from your server is great you could try for compensation. Or maybe that's just going too far? Some people need to learn, though.

It is certainly not legal. Best and first thing to do is contact their hosting supplier.
    Bannaz™ | Amazing HTML5 Banner Ad Designer!
    Leading designers in online advertising
    Need banners? Visit our Website