Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ive been smoking since over 10 years, i do not have plans to quit , i actually like smoking ! health issues whatever risks, maybe because am not having any now am not really concerned or scared.
    But i say onething regarding to the comments that "smokers wishing to quit" when you want to quit its a shame if you dont have enough will and courage to quit,
    I believe if you want to quit u can just quit , maybe in steps maybe one time but it will be done, those who says they wish they can quit actually are just pple like me, who enjoy smoking and who do NOT want to quit , but rather find a lame excuse of "i cant let it go".
    POINTLeb Hosting Lebanese Hosting for the Middle East
    The fact that no one understands you , does not make you an artist
    Mo Ghaoui's Personal Blog

I quit almost 25 years ago. It was mostly cold turkey, but I put off emptying my ashtrays for about a month. That way I could take an emergency puff on a stale cigarette butt if withdrawal was keeping me awake.
    Besides the long term health and financial benefits, in the fairly short run, once you get the nicotine withdrawal over with, you don't have to have it bothering you several times a day any more.

I just quit cold turkey after smoking all throughout highschool/college.

If you're not going to quit cold turkey, don't waste money and bum off people. That way you won't be wasting your own money and you will most probably end up smoking less and less.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

I am not addicted and dont get any cravings when I am sober. I go all week without the thought of a cig even crossing my mind. However, When I go out to partys or clubs and have been drinking (normally excessivly) I chain smoke something stupid. I go out every friday and saturday night and average on around a pack n a half to 2 packs a weekend.

I have normally got half pack or so left over from the weekend and it just sits there on my desk waiting for the weekend. I have done this for at least a year and my whole life I have smoked probly under a half a packet sober.

Quote Originally Posted by fromage
    If you're not going to quit cold turkey, don't waste money and bum off people. That way you won't be wasting your own money and you will most probably end up smoking less and less.
    I think that usually results in your smoking friends telling you to either get serious about quitting or go buy a carton. Most people buy the carton.

I left smoking last 7 years back.

Well, for the life of me, I can't get addicted, not that I would want to, but I can't get addicted!! I can go from a binge of no smoking at all throughout the week, then, on the weekend every now and then smoke a pack.... Wake up in the morning, and not have one craving for a cigarrete, and be fine.... for months at a time. Although the last three attempts at smoking a ciggarette either resulted in my stomping it out, after ~ 3 drags, or giving it to some friend that smokes I'm with at the time.

Although I do find my self smoking quite a bit of Hookah, a middle eastern form of water bong. Perhaps this is what keeps me level and balanced from not wanting to smoke cigarretes? It is alot better health wise for you, or so I hear. Anyways just a thought, also it is not very mobile, so you'd be restricted to smoking at home / hookah bar, which also limits smoking.

Although one thing I can not stand is cigars / cigar smoke, I think it is the most obtrusive smell ever.

Well best of luck quiting!
    Last edited by 2detailed; 09-18-2006 at 11:34 AM.

[quote=2detailed].... Wake up in the morning, and not have one craving for a cigarrete, and be fine.... ]/quote]I imagine most smokers were the same way at first.

I remember being interviewed for the school paper in high school and being asked why I smoked.

The answer was simple, "Because I enjoy it." I didn't need to smoke. I just wanted to.

It takes a while before you become addicted. And then it takes longer to admit you're addicted.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nofan
    Ok, so here is the deal. I noticed that I smoke too much. Lately I have been smoking without realizing the amount of cigs im smoking because of the ongoing thinking that cant be stopped in my mind. Now ciggerates can cause cancer and death and we all agree about that, it actually kills you slowly. But even though I read many articles about how smoking really affect your health, I cant seem to be convinced, maybe because of my addiction to it? I used to smoke pack and half a day, but currently I smoke only one or maybe just 3 cigg less*i think*.

Are there any smokers around here? Are you looking to quite? or no?? Are there people here who quite smoking a long time ago?? Mind sharing tips that succeeded thru your process of quiting??

Untill then, I will finish this cig in my mouth right now. Pfffffff
    I smoked for 7 years. Pipes, cigars, cigarettes.... I loved every minute of it and if suddenly tobacco did not cause cancer or emphasema tomorrow, I'd happily go back to 3 packs a day. Thing is, smoking will shorten your life, period. I wound up quitting by smoking "fake" cigarettes, they were made of cornsilk and catnip. I smoked a pack a day of those for about a month and didn't have a need to do so anymore. If you smoke, quit now!

Quote Originally Posted by sasha
    The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr

My wife read that and just quit. She never had cravings and she was not bothered by me smoking around her.
    I'm reading info on this now, sounds fascinating and I just might buy the book. Have you read it sasha? Do you want to quit?

Update: I quit (again) last night and woke up in a bad mood. Although it's been a rough day (nicotine gum has been helpful), I'm actually not craving a cigarette. The psychological effects have not been fun, at all, but I know it will get better everyday and be worth it in the long haul. And my lungs feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by Gridiron
    I'm reading info on this now, sounds fascinating and I just might buy the book. Have you read it sasha? Do you want to quit?
    I wanted to quit for 15 years, but then, as I posted earlier in the thread, I tasted pipe and then just stopped caring about cigarettes. My cravings are now way beyond just wanting to have a smoke and to satisfy them I need all setup which includes, but is not limited to: drink, pipe, proper lights and sitting and i enjoy every part of it. So, in short, I do not I will quit any time soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12